HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:21 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,272 Posts
The Merlin plugs in the Nelson style are nice because the glow driver fits better than the actual Nelson one. If I am making a head, I go with the Turbo plug because many heat ranges are available and they have a smaller surface in the combustion chamber which is important for smaller motors. As far as the best plug, Whatever works for the application. I know CS plugs are my least favourite, and Fireballs have a good element, but blow out seals, Foxes are ok with low compression motors, and everyone seems to like OS plugs, but I still never forgave them for introducing another size reach. Shorts or Longs were good enough IMHO.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:53 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
574 Posts
I've had good luck with the Swanson Associates Fireball Hot standard plugs, but then I don't run competition engines. I had a Fox idle bar plug, could never get the OS Max10R/C cross scavenge engine to run with it, but was a different beast with the Fireball.

Somewhere else someone mentioned they had poor luck with the Fireballs, about the insulators blowing out, but that hasn't happened to me yet, although I had one plug DOA with the nichrome heating element weld failure to the rim of the plug.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:11 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,207 Posts
back in the 70s 80s we flew fast combat and used KB 1-L plugs, thats when they used good wire and cost was reasonable
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Last edited by lectroglide; Mar 04, 2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:42 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGhostlr View Post
I've had good luck with the Swanson Associates Fireball Hot standard plugs, but then I don't run competition engines. I had a Fox idle bar plug, could never get the OS Max10R/C cross scavenge engine to run with it, but was a different beast with the Fireball.

Somewhere else someone mentioned they had poor luck with the Fireballs, about the insulators blowing out, but that hasn't happened to me yet, although I had one plug DOA with the nichrome heating element weld failure to the rim of the plug.
I can't think of any 10 size motor that's going to be happy with an idle bar plug.

Greg
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:35 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,272 Posts
Most of my .10 motors take the mid reach OS or Enya size plugs. Mine ran poorly and would barely idle with shorts or longs in the (yuck) rc planes. I did use 2 washers on long plugs with success.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:48 PM
Australia, NSW, Lane Cove West
Joined Jul 2008
262 Posts
Rossi made excellent plugs, the R1's were great for any small engines.
The R3's for sport. R4's if you were using a bit more nitro.
R5 and 6's for pylon and racing. Don't know if they're still made
OS 8's were great along with Enya 3's which is what I use for stunt engines.
K&B 1L's is another reliable plug.
Very disappointed with the Fireball plugs I bought, won't ever touch them again.
Fox plugs like his engines just look odd and well, not really made from good materials.
Used to like the Glow Bee 049 heads with a very hot fuel high nitro fuel. Going with Merlins now but haven't got around to running any yet.
Best plug by far though, the Nelson. I've got a mandrel and a few blanks left to make use of the stash I have left for engines that will benefit from using them.
Not only do they last, set up properly they'll give a 1000 - 1500 rpm increase over a standard 1/4 - 32 plug
raglafart is offline Find More Posts by raglafart
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:41 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,317 Posts
I have been running OS #8's, as that is what I had for my helicopters.

I have installed a couple in early Wen Mac .049's, and while they work well, the OS plug costs more than the Wen Mac engine did new...
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:53 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem View Post
I have been running OS #8's, as that is what I had for my helicopters.

I have installed a couple in early Wen Mac .049's, and while they work well, the OS plug costs more than the Wen Mac engine did new...
Try some McCoys.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:58 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,317 Posts
Thanks tigreflyer, I didn't realize you could still get them!
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Mar 05, 2013, 08:09 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
I was talking to Dick McCoy's son, I forget his name, at Whittier Narrows a few years ago. He's big into tether car racing. Those old original McCoy plugs from decades ago are not the same. The younger McCoy is very proud of the plugs that wear his name today.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Last edited by tigreflyer; Mar 05, 2013 at 08:19 PM.