HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:09 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
339 Posts
Discussion
Carl Goldberg laser Cut "Gentle Lady"

I started building the above kit with the intention of getting into some local ALES comps. I didn't have a build log in mind, but now that I've started on it and having run into a couple of problems, I wondered if there might be some interest in how the problems are overcome. Let me know if you're interested.

Russ
ulpilotrmh is offline Find More Posts by ulpilotrmh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:25 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,105 Posts
Always room for a Gl thread as long as it has photos.It's a good plane for ales.
doc993 is online now Find More Posts by doc993
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:56 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
339 Posts
Okay, here goes.

Some of the ribs are lasered out of very hard balsa, this stuff is so hard that the laser only cut half way thru the stuff. I thought I was gonna have a tendonitis atact getting the ribs out of the sheets. Luckily, there is only one sheet of the Oak like balsa. Enough of the whining.

A few of the spar holes in the ribs needed to be filed a little to allow the spars to slide thru them..

At first I was going to build the wing in one piece, but rethought that since neither my wife nor I have a large enough vehicle. At the present time I am at the stage of building the right side main wing and outboard sections.

Now that I've started this build log, I'll be sure to take more pics as I go along.

I'll apologize just this once for the mess. I don't have a lot of space and only clean up when I can no longer find the current project.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:09 PM
United States, VA, Franconia
Joined Sep 2010
1,804 Posts
GL makes for a very competitive ALES plane, able to hang with models costing hundreds of dollars more. Flown well, it will easily outperform the foamies in light lift conditions.

You will want to carefully plan your power setup. In my Electra (more or less the same as a GL) I am using an Eflite Power 10 with a Thunderbird 36 ESC. Prop is a Graupner 10x6 folder, in competition I usually use a Turnigy nano-tech 850mah. If it gets windy I go larger, at Polecat when it got really windy I used a 2200mah battery.

With the GL you should have a bit more flexibility on motor choice because you can set it up so that the motor sits behind the firewall which is standard on most e gliders.

You might want to consider modifying the wing for spoilers or flaps. Landing the GL on a target can be a challenge especially if it's windy. With spoilers or flaps you'll be able to come in steeper. I am currently building a spoiler wing for my Electra but after seeing Paul Naton fly his flap-modded Radian at Polecat I think flaps might be better than spoilers for the GL wing.

Racores.com sells a full-house wing for the GL/Electra but I haven't ordered one. Yet.
smoothvirus is offline Find More Posts by smoothvirus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The FAA unleashes the Banhammer
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:34 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothvirus View Post
GL makes for a very competitive ALES plane, able to hang with models costing hundreds of dollars more. Flown well, it will easily outperform the foamies in light lift conditions.

You will want to carefully plan your power setup. In my Electra (more or less the same as a GL) I am using an Eflite Power 10 with a Thunderbird 36 ESC. Prop is a Graupner 10x6 folder, in competition I usually use a Turnigy nano-tech 850mah. If it gets windy I go larger, at Polecat when it got really windy I used a 2200mah battery.

With the GL you should have a bit more flexibility on motor choice because you can set it up so that the motor sits behind the firewall which is standard on most e gliders.

You might want to consider modifying the wing for spoilers or flaps. Landing the GL on a target can be a challenge especially if it's windy. With spoilers or flaps you'll be able to come in steeper. I am currently building a spoiler wing for my Electra but after seeing Paul Naton fly his flap-modded Radian at Polecat I think flaps might be better than spoilers for the GL wing.

Racores.com sells a full-house wing for the GL/Electra but I haven't ordered one. Yet.
Hey, thanks.

All good info. I think I'll be going the flap route. Spoilers would be nice, but 90 degree flaps would do the same thing with less complexity and cost, and probably a little lighter too.

Russ
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:27 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
339 Posts
Okay, I need help here. I have a Spektrum DX5e Xmtr. and Rec., but no servos as yet. What servos would be best for the GL? There's plenty of room in the fuse for the rudder and elevator servos, so what would be best? How much torque would be needed? I imagine the flap servo would need to be stronger than the others, but since it'll be mounted in the wing, would need to be thin, I think. Is this the right place for these questions?

Russ
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:33 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,105 Posts
Hey Smooth . A your work area looks fine.And pictures are a lot of time the difference between a good thread and just more blah blah.Just got back from flying with the Rochester group.I was amazed at how many G/L's,and Electra's showed up. I also sent a bare bones G/L off my one winch and it handled it well.Your on the write track,keep up the good work.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:19 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
595 Posts
Gl

Where did you get the lazer cut kit? it would make a good small ALES model. I think sheeting the LE up to the spar like the Sophisticated Lady would make a great model even better.
As regards servos, don't fret on the power; HS 45s if they are still available, would work well on the flaps, (one per flap) and HS 65 HBs are adequate and reasonably priced for the rudder and elevator. Alternatively check out Dymond RC. They have some low priced servos which would be more than adequate.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Iain
rev.iain is online now Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,105 Posts
Diamond RC try the d150mgbb's. I put a set in my Crimson and they are great.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:49 AM
United States, VA, Franconia
Joined Sep 2010
1,804 Posts
I used the Hitec HS-81 servos in my Electra.
smoothvirus is offline Find More Posts by smoothvirus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The FAA unleashes the Banhammer
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:04 AM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulpilotrmh View Post
Hey, thanks.

All good info. I think I'll be going the flap route. Spoilers would be nice, but 90 degree flaps would do the same thing with less complexity and cost, and probably a little lighter too.

Russ
Could be a toss up on the weight issue, but flaps and spoilers have totally different effects in deployed flight characteristics and stick inputs to control the same. Just something to think about.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:56 PM
Good for what ALES you
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Jan 2009
442 Posts
I modded a GL for my son to fly ALES.

1300mAh HobbyKing Nano 45C battery
TowerPro 25A ESC
Hacker a20-20L outrunner
Aero-naut 13.5 x 7" Classic Carbon folding prop
Might be HS-55 servos or a look-alike

I built the GL back in 1980 and about a year ago I lost elevator control during a descent and it lawn-darted it into hard pack dirt (see attached photo). My son wanted to fly ALES a few months back and I did a quick nose-ectomy, added a firewall and an assortment of parts I had in the garage. I first tried a HobbyKing #A28920kvL/8474 A28L brushless outrunner but wasn't happy with the performance and pulled the Hacker out of a retired 3D profile plane.
awilmunder is offline Find More Posts by awilmunder
Old Jun 26, 2012, 07:02 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev.iain View Post
Where did you get the lazer cut kit? it would make a good small ALES model. I think sheeting the LE up to the spar like the Sophisticated Lady would make a great model even better.
As regards servos, don't fret on the power; HS 45s if they are still available, would work well on the flaps, (one per flap) and HS 65 HBs are adequate and reasonably priced for the rudder and elevator. Alternatively check out Dymond RC. They have some low priced servos which would be more than adequate.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Iain
I got the kit from my not so local hobby shop for $60.00 plus tax.

Speaking of LHS's, the one that ordered in the kit for me is a 45 minute drive from here. Looking for one closer to me, I ran across an LHS about 1/2 hour from me. This is a small shop, just one long narrow space with counters on both sides and stuff hanging on the walls. I was there for balsa. As I entered the shop there was a bell on the door that brought a person from a room at the back. I asked her where the balsa was and she looked confused and asked me to repeat the question. Still looking confused, she said she'd be right back and disappeared in the rear of the store, followed by my disappearance out the front door. Sheese!

Russ
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:00 PM
I was 1eyed But I fixed that
Central Coast NSW Australia
Joined Nov 2007
1,522 Posts
I scored this one on EBay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290726394...#ht_500wt_1270

I havn't picked it up, But Can't wait.
The wing needs some work but the rest looks ok.

How is yours shaping up?
HUMPHREY1957 is offline Find More Posts by HUMPHREY1957
Old Jul 01, 2012, 06:02 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
339 Posts
[QUOTE=smoothvirus

Racores.com sells a full-house wing for the GL/Electra but I haven't ordered one. Yet.[/QUOTE]

Can you supply a link to the GL wing? I scaned the extensive site and couldn't find the GL wing.

Russ