HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2012, 01:43 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,007 Posts
Help!
Super mini topsky

Hey guys. New here to DLG. I've done a fair share of sloping back in California where I used to fly battlewings many hours a day.

In torque world I mostly fly 3d, or my fast pylon, or EDF's

I want to get into DLG as there are a couple river banks here in AZ that I'm sure create a bit of ridge lift with light winds. Also the hot ground I'm sure creates some nice thermals. After all Tucson is a meca for full scale sailplanes.

Anyways, bought a super mini topsky with all the goodies. Any tips on set up? Also any tips on DLG, and keeping a dlg up?

This is mainly just for fun and to waste time between batteries etc.

Thanks fellas!
Justin
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:18 AM
United Kingdom, England, Wiltshire
Joined Apr 2011
239 Posts
I have a feeling this isn't the last you've seen of DLG and that your mini will get used more than you predict. I scoffed at people on here who claimed DLG was addictive until I got my Elf. Since then I've flown it day in and day out and haven't flown any of my other models! So I guess the people here were right about it being addictive.

Click here for an extensive thread discussing construction of the topsky mini and super mini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
ThermalSniffer is offline Find More Posts by ThermalSniffer
Old Mar 17, 2012, 11:13 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,623 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys. New here to DLG. I've done a fair share of sloping back in California where I used to fly battlewings many hours a day.

In torque world I mostly fly 3d, or my fast pylon, or EDF's

I want to get into DLG as there are a couple river banks here in AZ that I'm sure create a bit of ridge lift with light winds. Also the hot ground I'm sure creates some nice thermals. After all Tucson is a meca for full scale sailplanes.

Anyways, bought a super mini topsky with all the goodies. Any tips on set up? Also any tips on DLG, and keeping a dlg up?

Thanks fellas!
Justin
PM shhhhh! he is in Tucson and many other DLG guys very nice crowd. Cheers
rcgeorge is online now Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,333 Posts
Justin:

The Tucson crowd is indeed a very good one. I fly with them every chance I can get, and I don't even live in Arizona. Also check the S. A. G. E. web site for events and good locations.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Dec 2009
4 Posts
I just finished building the Super Mini Topsky and I based my build on the tips in the quoted thread.

Some pics from my build (Dutch language): here.

Tips based on my personal experience:
  • Build the tail as light as possible: use a single pull system for the elevator.
  • Skip the rudder, you won't need it.
  • Strengthen the lower part of the vertical stab using a bit of the GF supplied: balsa alone will split on the first rough landing.
  • Remove the blind nuts and don't bother with the hard points/bolt holes in the wings. Glue the wing onto the fuse. The plane is small enough to fit in a trunk.
  • Use CF reinforcement for the wing join layup, the supplied GF won't cope on its own.
  • Cut down the servo tray to create room in the fuselage. No need to go ultralight with the radio gear, you'll need some weight in the nose anyway.
  • Build it straight, make jigs for tail & wing assembly.

Have fun, this little plane is indeed addictive. "Just one more throw..."
robbret is offline Find More Posts by robbret
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Nov 2010
4,007 Posts
Thanks everyone!

Robbret, how long does your battery last?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Dec 2009
4 Posts
Quote:
Robbret, how long does your battery last?
Well, to be honest, I haven't flown long enough for the battery to die yet.
I estimate about 45minutes.
Taking into account the 8g ballast I have in the nose, I'm planning on using a 450mAh lipo.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:08 PM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14
Don't be surprised if you begin to fly your other stuff in between charges to waste time.

I have a super mini topsky and it is an absolute blast. Nothing feels better than to hold that circle and watch it go up.

Joseph
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:18 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,007 Posts
Sounds good! I'm super excited. Little nervous about the build. I AK Super particular about my builds being clean.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,007 Posts
Wow. Got my super the wing is done just waiting on pushrods. The tail feathers are done, and covered with ultrakote. Everything is ready to go! Now I need to install both rudder and elevator control rods as well as all other electronics.

For those that own this bird how is yours set up? The manual is kind of not the greatest and I had to wing it on most if the build. As it turns out i ended up with 1cm less dihedral and les than perfect fiberglass job in joining the wings. Although that is compared to my standard and I'm pretty picky with my builds.

After it is all set up I will only be waiting on a voltage regulator for my 330mah lipo =\
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:40 AM
Joined Dec 2009
4 Posts
Are you going rudderless ?
No need for a rudder on the aileron plane.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,007 Posts
So after a LONG time I finally finished the build. Dealing with a few life situations the hobby was put on the back burner. I still had time to fly but no time to build.

This buikd turned out sloppy. I zigged where I should have zagged, my dog stepped on the wing cracking the right half into 2 fourths. The build ended up at a whopping 167 grams! Which im not happy about. And one thing after another I was just upset. The fuselage has way less space than I'm used to working with, even on my pylon planes. Anyways, it was a great learning experience and now I know what to do to build the next one much cleaner and lighter!

First flight.... It was dusk, with 5-10mph winds and only about 20 minutes left worth of light. The misses was at work and I said screw it, I'm gonna give it a toss. I never even over hand launched this thing. My first launch was a discus launch! Man was I hooked. It went about 75 feet high and flew wonderfully. I was happy. Well 45 minutes later, now I can barely see a sihlouette I got my launches much better, now upwards towards 125-150 feet. Nice long flights too. Long story cut a little short, I flew till I couldnt see at all, then flew in the lighted baseball field.

For an obese, and sloppy built plane, it flies fantastic! My only woe is that i dont feel like i am tetting enough throw on elevator, and the rudder is completely useless on this model, I will definitely skip tue rudder on my next one =]]

Results; happy!

PS. I have to throw a shout out to Alex at skip miller hobbies! He generously helped me out when I otherwise couldnt afford this plane! Thanks bud!
Old May 18, 2012, 11:58 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,007 Posts
Also after 1 hour 6 minutes of being on and flying it only took 90mah when i recharged it! This Damn battery will probably last 1:45 at least! and thats playin it safe
Old May 31, 2012, 12:08 PM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Single Servo for Ailerons on Super Mini Topsky

Has anyone set up their Super Mini with a single servo for aileron control. Kind of old school but it seems like it would save weight.

Thanks
michelh is offline Find More Posts by michelh
Old May 31, 2012, 08:55 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,985 Posts
won't be able to take advantage of camber settings and brakes if you use a single servo though...
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups