HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 20, 2014, 06:45 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,456 Posts
Biplanes I have 5 others RTF of various sizes, with ARFs and kits on the shelf for another 8-10, from foam board kits up to an 88" Tiger Moth.
For taildraggers I have 4 RTF off the top of my head and a dozen more on the shelf sized from micro to 63".

I have too many planes, so many of my planes have to bring something I want or enjoy to the table. The Albatross was originally intended to be my break in before my Hangar 9 Sopwith Camel. I may try it with a lighter pack, though I've mostly standardized packs these days with 2200s. Picked up an SE5, I'll see if that one behaves any differently.

And yes, sometimes I fly a plane I want to be able to relax with it. I don't often fly WOT and don't particularly like a plane that more or less requires it. Sometimes I want some pucker factor, so the EDFs or the assassin wing or the Cuda or the Stryker come out to play, but even those don't spend all their time at 80%+ throttle.
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2014, 09:25 PM
Trust me I'm an engineer!
Australia, VIC, Bright
Joined Sep 2012
125 Posts
LOL My bad. I took you for another beginner, like me!
Gilbert Griffith is online now Find More Posts by Gilbert Griffith
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:42 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joined Sep 2011
1,456 Posts
I'm only an intermediate pilot, been flying for about three years, but no worries.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:21 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,286 Posts
Browneyedfool-sorry to hear the alby's just not doing it for you as a relaxing plane to fly! Really I am man,because just earlier this week I was saying to a flying buddy - "man this alby is so relaxing to fly!" I have stated here on this thread in the past how much I enjoy slow fly pasts at eye level. Wow I don't know mate maybe you got a bum model. I don't doubt your abilities as an rc pilot (because you listed some planes that you have, that would take an advanced intermediate pilot to fly ) IMHO. I think you might have gotten a bum plane out of the lot(???) I wish you luck with it though, and hopefully someday you'll come to resolve whatever issue is going on with your alby , and come to enjoy this model. But hey man if you are thinking of selling your alby--well yeah o.k.-but put the cash towards buying a second one! I say that because if the second one performs as it should-- you won't be dissapointed!--good luck mate!
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kevin whitesell; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:44 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,417 Posts
Browneyedfool,

I'm surprised that you don't enjoy flying the Alby. I have found it to be very relaxing to fly using an 1800mah battery and flying at 50% throttle. The only time I kick it above 50% is when I want to fly inverted for a while; it simply won't sustain inverted flight at 50% throttle.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joined Sep 2011
1,456 Posts
I only have one 1800mah and a few 1600s floating around, I can try them I guess. I've generally standardized my 3s packs in 1300 and 2200 mah sizes to be consistent across the fleet, a lot easier to bulk charge packs that way.

Have to find the manual, re-check cg etc. May need to revise the rate settings on the 3 flight modes on the DX9, I usually mainly have varying levels of aileron across the 3 and keep the elevator and rudder fairly similar. May set up my mode 0 as a takeoff and landing mode with max elevator and such, open to suggestions.

I generally stick to 20% expo or so maximum, I don't like having to absolutely mash a stick to get control surface movement, that leads to oversteer and oscillating.
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
United States, GA, Jefferson
Joined Jun 2012
800 Posts
Like BEF, I have six batteries I use in the Alby and they work well in a number of others, too (e.g.; CanDoo canard, F9F Panther, Critical Mass). Two 1800s and four 2200s. They are not that different in weight and I fly them all in the same position in the tray with no ill-effects. I have D/Rs set up on my Dx7s but I only use them when doing rolls or other such things. All this to say my Alby is a true plug-n-play. I fly other stuff and when the mood stikes me I grab the Alby, drop in an available lipo and enjoy it. Nothing complicated other than practicing coordinated turns that other planes don't demand. I do enjoy it for the same reasons I enjoy my Eflite L-4 Grasshopper...it's different and you have to fly it all the time to do it well. Nothing wrong with it...just different.
IfIHadWings is online now Find More Posts by IfIHadWings
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCM&E "Can-Doo" scratch...
Old Yesterday, 06:40 PM
United States, WA, Mukilteo
Joined Apr 2013
892 Posts
Without a gyro and on a windy day, the Alby was a handful for me too. With a gyro and on almost any day, she's now calm to fly. So, that's my input.
Suko is online now Find More Posts by Suko
Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,121 Posts
BEF I only fly 2200 with no issues. I found it took me a bit to grow into this plane.
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Building a Sig Herr Air Boss
Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,286 Posts
Hey did I ever tell you guys on this thread the story of how I was the first guy in all of Western-Canada to get the PZ Albetros? Well it was a bright and sunnyday ...LOL
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-Flite Hurricane
Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM
friendly foamy flyin fellow
United States, NC, Greenville
Joined Oct 2013
2,023 Posts
Brown eyes...

The albatros is a unique flying plane. I find it similar to my stearman. You do have to be on the sticks the whole time and use tons of rudder. I find myself using rudder and sometimes even counter ailerons for some flat turns.

Also, when charging your packs in multiple bundles, as long as they're the same voltage, you can mix mAh just fine. If you're parallel charging 1,800's with 2,200's at the same time charge and balance even and safely.

M74
millerr74 is offline Find More Posts by millerr74
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: my birds