HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:32 PM
Registered User
J-ACE's Avatar
Adelaide Australia
Joined Apr 2010
552 Posts
I pulled the fan on my Mirage and turned it into a pusher using the funfighter motor on 4s it flew super fast but I dumb thumbed it on my third launch.
J-ACE is offline Find More Posts by J-ACE
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 04:22 AM
Registered User
Mrgeorgedoors's Avatar
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Well my new sabre with uprated motor and 8 blade fan won't be out today, think it has a faulty esc, it just beeps rapidly when powered on
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:51 AM
Registered User
sloperjoe's Avatar
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Mar 2012
739 Posts
rapid beeping indicates the throttle range has not been set, at least thats been my experience.
start by turning your TX "on", set your throttle stick to full "on", plug your battery into the ESC, you should hear one beep, then move the stick down to full "off", then you should hear another beep, then you should hear another series of beeps indicating the cell count, then one more beep indicating "ready", you should be good to go then.
most new ESC's require the throttle range to be set at first start-up or they will not work

Joe
sloperjoe is offline Find More Posts by sloperjoe
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:07 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,319 Posts
Some ESC's are sensitive to TRIM setting at idle throttle. The Tx Throtttle TRIM at idle has large effect similar to a TRIM on elevator / aileron etc. but near zero effect at Full throttle. It's designed that way for Tx's to cater for IC Engines and getting good idle rpm right / shut off capability.

So you may find with some ESC's - you need to switch on Tx and put throttle TRIM all way down to full -ve at idle ... then go through the throttle range setting. Once range is set - then you can put TRIM back to neutral mid point.

This I have had on a couple of ESC's ... until you know about it - you think the ESC is faulty !! Funny enouigh it was Hobby King CS that sorted this out for me !! So they are not that bad all the time ...

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:16 AM
we can take off without that
green_flyer's Avatar
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
do u have any specs on those adapters? could they be used w/ the 6blade drilled out? or maybe used w/ there 5blade if u can get that also, if i remember correct it is not sold rotor only at h/k.

thanks , chuck.
They have a M5 thread, a 5mm plain bit at the bottom to suit the Lander rotor, and are at least 12mm deep so will suit quite long motor shafts. They only fit 3mm motor shafts. The only one I have is mounted in my F35 so I am unable to take measurements.
Its not worth mounting the 6-blade rotor or the JPower 5-blade rotor on them, and it probably impossible because of the M5 thread.
The Lander rotor (in my test at least) produced higher thrust for less amps than the 6-blade rotor with exact same airframe, motor, housing, esc and battery (I literally pulled off the 6-blade and put on the Lander 5-blade). When you see the two rotors side by side its clear why Lander is better, it copies Wemo type blade design with reducing pitch towards the edge (like a prop), where as 6-blade rotor is constant pitch.
You can get the Lander rotors by themselves for less than $2 from HK, but unfortunately HK dont sell the adaptor.
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:33 AM
Registered User
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
394 Posts
My test results were a little different when comparing a shaved down lander rotor and motor mounted in the skyangel shroud:
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:36 AM
we can take off without that
green_flyer's Avatar
London, UK
Joined Nov 2008
730 Posts
Interesting. Which rotor is which in your results table, I find it difficult to tell.
Were all the tests done with the same battery, and in the same airframe?

I did not use the HK 4800kv motor in my tests. I used the 4600kv version from RC Castle and I used a Neutron 4900kv. My tests are on Youtube so you can see consistantly higher thrust with lower amps compared to Haoye 6-blade copy of JPower.

Just to add, I compared the rotors directly, not the stock motor + rotor (JPower) vs the Lander motor + rotor (cut down). I have not tried the cut down Lander rotor on the stock JPower motor.

i.e. eliminate all the other variables. stick a Jpower 5-blade on that HK Lander motor and see what you get.
green_flyer is offline Find More Posts by green_flyer
Last edited by green_flyer; Jan 20, 2013 at 10:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:50 AM
Registered User
Mrgeorgedoors's Avatar
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Some ESC's are sensitive to TRIM setting at idle throttle. The Tx Throtttle TRIM at idle has large effect similar to a TRIM on elevator / aileron etc. but near zero effect at Full throttle. It's designed that way for Tx's to cater for IC Engines and getting good idle rpm right / shut off capability.

So you may find with some ESC's - you need to switch on Tx and put throttle TRIM all way down to full -ve at idle ... then go through the throttle range setting. Once range is set - then you can put TRIM back to neutral mid point.

This I have had on a couple of ESC's ... until you know about it - you think the ESC is faulty !! Funny enouigh it was Hobby King CS that sorted this out for me !! So they are not that bad all the time ...

Nigel
Cheers guys ive just tried this and didn't know what the heck was goin on with beeps and melodies stick up stick down more beeps like it was going through a menu so couldn't get no where with that, then I put the throttle trim all way down as suggested it did some more beeps and a melody and I was waiting for cell count beeps never heard them so with that in mind im sat on my armchair with football on tv with sabre on my lap and I pushed the throttle up to see if it beeps and holy moly it fired up, To say i pooped myself is an understatement hahaha

Cheers chaps
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:31 PM
always something to learn...
metalguy's Avatar
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
Yes, the Saber will barely stay aloft, now. I have tried several different batteries, ESC's, and still just will not stay in the air. When I first put the alloy 50MM hobby king fan unit in (3s version) it worked fine. No super powerhouse, but adequate for flight. Now, it is pitiful. I have the exact same set-up in my MiG-15, and it flies beautifully, using the same batteries. So... while I didn't have any smoke leave the motor, it just has no power, and will not fly. So, I ask, is there a drop -in motor that will give this a boost on 3s? I would prefer to no have to go 4s, just to get it flying, and because the fan, and housing are not in any way damaged, I would love to reuse them. Any thoughts on the 50MM 10 bade models mentioned a page ago? If I have to get a whole new unit, I really would like it to fly well.....------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:39 PM
Registered User
gooniac33's Avatar
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
4,960 Posts
Got a lot of 50mm jet time in today!! It was 68 degrees and perfect here!! Also was able to get my 50mm 8 blade AEO fan to Tomm77 so that he can get it to work for me. May have to a screamer airframe to put that into....
gooniac33 is offline Find More Posts by gooniac33
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:01 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
3,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_flyer View Post
They have a M5 thread, a 5mm plain bit at the bottom to suit the Lander rotor, and are at least 12mm deep so will suit quite long motor shafts. They only fit 3mm motor shafts. The only one I have is mounted in my F35 so I am unable to take measurements.
Its not worth mounting the 6-blade rotor or the JPower 5-blade rotor on them, and it probably impossible because of the M5 thread.
The Lander rotor (in my test at least) produced higher thrust for less amps than the 6-blade rotor with exact same airframe, motor, housing, esc and battery (I literally pulled off the 6-blade and put on the Lander 5-blade). When you see the two rotors side by side its clear why Lander is better, it copies Wemo type blade design with reducing pitch towards the edge (like a prop), where as 6-blade rotor is constant pitch.
You can get the Lander rotors by themselves for less than $2 from HK, but unfortunately HK dont sell the adaptor.
great info, thanks .
and ya , now i remember , u are correct , it was just the adapter that was missing .


chuck.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:45 PM
MichiganRCflyer
bunkx9's Avatar
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Nov 2012
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooniac33 View Post
Got a lot of 50mm jet time in today!! It was 68 degrees and perfect here!! Also was able to get my 50mm 8 blade AEO fan to Tomm77 so that he can get it to work for me. May have to a screamer airframe to put that into....
It's 14 degrees and snowing here. I'm jealous!
bunkx9 is offline Find More Posts by bunkx9
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:58 PM
check for reversed controls
alpea 41's Avatar
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,894 Posts
Ontario Ca. Had to be close to 85 deg. F today was almost too warm
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:15 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
solentlife's Avatar
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgeorgedoors View Post
Cheers guys ive just tried this and didn't know what the heck was goin on with beeps and melodies stick up stick down more beeps like it was going through a menu so couldn't get no where with that, then I put the throttle trim all way down as suggested it did some more beeps and a melody and I was waiting for cell count beeps never heard them so with that in mind im sat on my armchair with football on tv with sabre on my lap and I pushed the throttle up to see if it beeps and holy moly it fired up, To say i pooped myself is an understatement hahaha

Cheers chaps
Glad all sorted.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:57 AM
Registered User
Mrgeorgedoors's Avatar
United Kingdom, Warrington
Joined Nov 2012
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Glad all sorted.

Nigel
Yep all sorted. Was hoping to maiden it today but snow kinda ruined that

Roll on a decent day so I can chuck my 3 jets about got some new batteries too
Mrgeorgedoors is offline Find More Posts by Mrgeorgedoors
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Adelaide & SA flying & chat #2 Zootster Australia 19690 Today 12:21 PM
Help! Where can I buy Genkem Nova 27 in SA? MegaTesla South Africa 2 May 14, 2011 03:25 PM
Discussion SAL-SA Glider in Gobi dune romanticus Slope 11 Nov 30, 2010 10:40 PM
Question SA 2010-02 Castle ICE 100 "failed cut off" ?? LandCruiser Castle Creations 2 Oct 19, 2010 11:07 PM
T-33 Spring-air minis HW609 Derrek Curtis Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 3 Apr 25, 2001 03:42 PM