SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by SE18, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 10:50 AM
Find More Posts by SE18
Joined Apr 2014
14 Posts
Discussion
Railroad remote control system

Hi all: I have a question but first some background:

while I'm a sailboat R/C enthusiast, I also build 1:13.7 scale trains. So it's been 8 years since I built this:

critter (0 min 35 sec)

Here's what it looks like under the hood:

r/c #4 (0 min 23 sec)

It contains the following:

ProBoat Waterproof ESC Electronic Speed Control; cost was $40

Ranger II HiTec Radio transmitter/receiver CH 70 75; cost was $40

It's powered with NiMh 9.7V battery

I don't use the servos; rather, I purchase a motor block and that powers the train.

QUESTION:

I'm thinking that over the 8 years since I did this, technology has evolved somewhat and more products are available.

Can you recommend a similar low-cost system for me as I intend to start building more trains now.

Thanks
SE18 is offline Find More Posts by SE18
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:32 PM
Find More Posts by vollrathd
Joined Jan 2007
1,601 Posts
Price ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE18 View Post
Hi all: I have a question but first some background:

while I'm a sailboat R/C enthusiast, I also build 1:13.7 scale trains. So it's been 8 years since I built this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cqniqtTmPg

Here's what it looks like under the hood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QwiZPIlsNE

It contains the following:

ProBoat Waterproof ESC Electronic Speed Control; cost was $40

Ranger II HiTec Radio transmitter/receiver CH 70 75; cost was $40

It's powered with NiMh 9.7V battery

I don't use the servos; rather, I purchase a motor block and that powers the train.

QUESTION:

I'm thinking that over the 8 years since I did this, technology has evolved somewhat and more products are available.

Can you recommend a similar low-cost system for me as I intend to start building more trains now.

Thanks
I've seen a couple of model railroads at local events where they were being controlled by 2.4 Ghz radio systems. Just google model railroad 2.4 Ghz and you will get a lot of hits.

Here is the first one on my search. There were a lot more.
http://www.crest-electronics.net/
vollrathd is online now Find More Posts by vollrathd
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:07 AM
Find More Posts by SE18
Joined Apr 2014
14 Posts
thanks; those systems are really, really expensive and have a lot of functionality I would never use. I just need speed control, neutral, forward and reverse, very simple stuff to control just one locomotive at a time.
SE18 is offline Find More Posts by SE18