New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2013, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by steve13905
Joined Sep 2012
16 Posts
Question
Which for first CP? Blade MCPX, Nano-CPX, or 130-X?

Personal background: I have good Blade 120-SR (fixed pitch) experience. I use a Spektrum Dx6i transmitter. I safely nose-hover the 120-SR in my living room. Sometimes I fly in my local park (to which I must drive, unfortunately; and, it adjoins a river making it often too windy for my 120-SR). Mostly, I greatly enjoy walking out my front door and flying in a convenient, tree-less area. The aforementioned area includes my residential street, and the two, contiguous front lawns of my friendly, across-the-street neighbors who don’t mind my using their property if I don’t hit their nearby-parked cars. Our houses significantly cut down on the wind. I prefer a slow, steady, baby-step pace of learning. I prefer to learn CP in front of my house (is that realistic?). I have money to invest wisely, but I prefer to spend more time flying than tinkering with repairs. I prefer Blade, as it is THE brand at my local hobby store (I like doing business there). I can make myself nutty with obsessive-compulsive desire for a perfect decision (I know that is impossible with pros and cons for each option). I hope you experienced flyers will affirm my recent decision to order (delivery expected late next week) a stock Blade MCPX Version 2.

At first, I was attracted to the 130-X, thinking its heavier weight will negotiate wind better, and its size (compared to the other two) will make it much easier to see/orient with my imperfect, 58-year-old eyes). I chose against the 130-X for the following reasons: On my Phoenix simulator, I am twice as likely to crash the 130-X compared to the MCPX (is my simulator accurate in its representation?). On the Horizon web site, only 43 of 67 posted reviewers would recommend the 130-X (MANY complaints of mechanical problems in this first-generation design). As to difficulty, a few said the 130-X is similar to the MCPX, but others said it is more difficult, and less durable in crashes (and you folks taught me that the more weight it has, then the greater damage it does in a crash). Everyone says the brushless motor of the 130-X makes it much more faster/powerful than the stock MCPX, which, in my novice mind, means more difficult to fly safely (am I accurate?). Horizon says the 130-X is for “advanced” flyers, while saying the MCPX and Nano-CPX are for “intermediate” flyers. And, perhaps most of all, I suspect that, for quite some time at least, there is not enough space in front of my house to learn the 130-X as safely as the MCPX.

I read some nice things about the stock (not the brushless-motor) Nano-CPX as compared to this older-model MCPX, but most stated advantages seem to involve 3D flying, which I doubt I will do soon (MCPX reportedly has more “tail blow out” during 3D flying). Based on posted comments online at http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=466355 it seems that, for MY SPECIFIC SITUATION, the stock MCPX is better than the stock Nano-CPX. I read the MCPX has better “head speed” and therefore is better in wind (I don’t know what head speed is). Also the MCPX is bigger – that is, 45.5g and 9.25" (easier for my imperfect eyes) while the Nano-CPX is only 29g and 7.75”.

On my Phoenix simulator, I am somewhat less prone to crash the MCPX compared to the Nano-CPX when hovering or flying a simple circle (perhaps, because the MCPX is 19 percent larger in size, it may be 19 percent easier to see and fly?).

In summary, toward my going slowly, safely, and conveniently, I ordered the MCPX, thinking it is my best entry toward learning CP in terms of hover and simple, non-inverted flying in front of my house without hurting parked cars (or cars that drive through) or the occasional dog-walker. I continue practicing the MCPX on my simulator. My debut MCPX flights are planned for the local park while the wind (I’ll wait for the rare moment) is quiet, so I prove some confidence before I risk hitting my neighbors’ cars (I read that a micro CP helicopter is like a flying weed-whacker in terms of danger/damage).

I suppose I can learn some simple 3D moves – eventually – with the MCPX (despite the “tail blow out” thing), and then, if I still have the addiction, I can get the stock Nano-CPX, the brushless-motor Nano-CPX, or the 130-X; or maybe something else more appropriate will be identified (I’m all ears for suggestions).

To me, adding a $130 step (the cost of the MCPX, en route to a subsquent, more challenging performer) is a lot cheaper than a new paint job for my neighbor’s car.

Please be kind about trashing my neurotic need for validation (go ahead if you feel like it – I’m used to the criticism). You folks were absolutely wonderful last year with your helpful information when I advanced from a coaxial helicopter to the fixed pitch 120-SR; thanks again for that.

And thanks for your patience if you actually got to the end of this lengthy post.
steve13905 is offline Find More Posts by steve13905
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2013, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by zadaw
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,373 Posts
You have done really good research and made a good choice. There is nothing in your post that I would dispute. The only one you might have missed is the mCPX BL but that is far more powerful than the mCPX V2 and completely unsuitable for flying indoors. The tail blowouts are big problem but you are unlikely to encounter them until you fly 3D. There are mods available to reduce them.

The only recommendation I can give you is that you can use a lot of parts for the WL Toys V922 that are much cheaper and often stronger at the same time. I would strongly recommend that you use the swashplate and linkages as the stock linkages on the mCPX falls off easily in a crash. You could easily lose a bag of them in a session. You can also try the main motor and tail motor which are stronger than those of the mCPX. It is possible that the stronger tail motor could prevent blowouts. However, the servos and main board are not compatible.

http://www.banggood.com/buy/v922.html
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; May 24, 2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old May 24, 2013, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by BOOCAKE4U
The Lurker
United States, FL
Joined Apr 2013
52 Posts
i agree with your choice of the mcpx and here's why:

130x is out for durability reasons, as you WILL be crashing (repeatedly)...you can pick up the mcpx (or nano), dust it off (and push the spur gear back up or pop the swashplate link back on) and go right back to flying...the gear driven tail of the 130x will not be as agreeable

mcpx over the nano for following reasons: less squirrelly and yes, better suited to flying outside in normal winds...neither mcpx or nano is really an "inside toy" until you gain some skills and confidence with them...plus the nano is well known for its appetite for main motors (and probably even more so if you are crashing with any sort of regularity as you are learning)

and i wouldn't worry about any tail blowout issues with the mcpx...if you get to the point where that is a problem, it's an easy fix...the longer ~140mm boom (you will replace with stock hollow boom with solid carbon sooner or later anyway) and/or the 7mm motor upgrade, courtesy of Astroid Designs or other vendors
BOOCAKE4U is offline Find More Posts by BOOCAKE4U
Last edited by BOOCAKE4U; May 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old May 24, 2013, 01:47 PM
Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Joined May 2005
1,118 Posts
I would go Nano-CPX then MCPX-BL.

Check out Amainhobbies. You can get a MCPX-BL for $144 (before shipping).
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Old May 24, 2013, 02:04 PM
Find More Posts by shaun.evans09
RC Heli Addict
United States, GA, Dublin
Joined Mar 2013
235 Posts
It doesn't matter which one we say is better, that's our own opinion based on what we feel is better in our own set of flying circumstances. What matters is that you enjoy whatever it is you choose to fly and more importantly that you are having fun while doing it. You are going to have ups and downs & get extremely frustrated, but as long as you are enjoying the hobby experience as a whole then you'll enjoy flying any heli or other aircraft you own.
shaun.evans09 is offline Find More Posts by shaun.evans09
Old May 24, 2013, 02:10 PM
Find More Posts by mycanopyisready
United Kingdom, London
Joined May 2013
269 Posts
You fly rc helis at 58? I need to show this thread to my girlfriend, she says at 29 I`m too old for this and need to grow up. That being said, at 58 I`d assume you have balls big enough to have the guts to not worry about playing it safe anymore. Why do you care if you crash one heli or another? You`ll crash any CP, trust me. I`d just get the most flashy, noisy and powerful heli out there, decapitate every grumpy neighbour and their cat with its massive blades, and eventually kamikaze into the windshield of the first police car that arrives on the scene.

YOLO

I`m joking. But no, seriously, why didnt you go for a 500 size CP? Screw what the simulator makes you believe, get a man sized heli, attach a HD camera to the skids, paint it black, with Neighbourhood Watch HQ written in white capitals on the sides, and fly it around the neighbourhood like...like you MEAN it.

Quote:
The aforementioned area includes my residential street, and the two, contiguous front lawns of my friendly, across-the-street neighbors who don’t mind my using their property if I don’t hit their nearby-parked cars.
They are treating you like a child and your behaviour sounds very institusionalised. Have you ever done time? If not, just fly your heli through their living room window. Blame it on Alzheimer (cops are stupid, they dont know what Alzheimer does), and they can`t touch you. If yes, just threaten you`ll kill their dog. They`ll know you mean business, and will treat you to cookies and milk everytime you get the ladder to recover your heli from their roof while mumbling angry "I wish this stupid house will blow up someday" loud enough for them to hear you though.

Good luck old man.
mycanopyisready is offline Find More Posts by mycanopyisready
Last edited by mycanopyisready; May 24, 2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old May 24, 2013, 04:52 PM
Find More Posts by chulian1819
Medellín, Colombia
Joined Apr 2010
347 Posts

I would go for a nano, pros:

very small so can take more punishment
very stable with the AS3X system
flybarless (less parts)
use normal 1s lipos
I fly it outdoors and can handle strong wind
spare parts are cheap

cons: brushed engine so buy some spare ones, they last me about 100 flights

Nano CP X RTF & BNF by Blade (3 min 45 sec)
chulian1819 is offline Find More Posts by chulian1819
Old May 24, 2013, 05:24 PM
Find More Posts by bizzy511
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Jan 2011
290 Posts
I think the mcpx is the best cp trainer. My experience is similar to yours. I now have a mcpxBL and a nano.

I sold my v2 mcpx awhile back because I needed money for text books.

I think the mcpx will be better for you because it is easier to see and will handle wind a lot better than the nano.

the mcpx isn't as touchy as the nano. Both seem pretty durable in my opinion.

I don't own a 130x so I comment on that.

Overall the mcpx is one of my favorites. It has taught me a lot. My friend (no experience) recently picked up a used mcpx about 2 weeks ago and now he is comfortably hovering tail in, and learning nose in hover. Plenty of crashes and it's still flying.

I haven't had to replace any nano motors yet, but I've heard that they don't last too long. My v2 mcpx had over 200 flights and I never had to change the motor.
bizzy511 is offline Find More Posts by bizzy511
Old May 24, 2013, 05:26 PM
Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetterDragun View Post
I would go Nano-CPX then MCPX-BL.

Check out Amainhobbies. You can get a MCPX-BL for $144 (before shipping).
I am curious where that actually is - I cant find anything cheaper than 219 ???
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2013, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by zadaw
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
I am curious where that actually is - I cant find anything cheaper than 219 ???
That is a well known Blade discount site to Helifreak members. The list price always stay the same but the add to cart price varies all the time. Right now, it seems that it is back to $129. I have seen the 130X with bonus as low as $180, the mCPX BL for $160, 300X for $199 and the mCPX V2 for $99. You just have to check all the time. I wonder HH will be forced to clamp down on them should other vendors complain.

I would agree that the nano CPX or the mCPX BL are better choices if you want one helicopter that will take you to learning 3D without modification. I have had 5 mCPXes and found that the tail blowout issue actually got worse as I got more advanced and did more aggressive flight. Good collective management is only part of the story, things like a poor battery or a loose tail boom are just as likely to cause tail blowouts. But otherwise, it is completely alright for sports flying.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; May 24, 2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old May 24, 2013, 09:00 PM
Find More Posts by Proud Infidel
9958 gave me the toilet bowl
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Jan 2012
1,257 Posts
Why not a Walkera Super CP? They all come from the same country -> China.
Proud Infidel is offline Find More Posts by Proud Infidel
Old May 25, 2013, 12:27 AM
Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Joined May 2005
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
That is a well known Blade discount site to Helifreak members. The list price always stay the same but the add to cart price varies all the time. Right now, it seems that it is back to $129. I have seen the 130X with bonus as low as $180, the mCPX BL for $160, 300X for $199 and the mCPX V2 for $99. You just have to check all the time. I wonder HH will be forced to clamp down on them should other vendors complain.
It's simpler than that, you just call them up and ask for the price.
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Old Jan 16, 2014, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by Xwalt
Joined Dec 2013
294 Posts
Yeah guys pls rply, why not a super cp....
Xwalt is offline Find More Posts by Xwalt
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:28 AM
Find More Posts by Balr14
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,493 Posts
There's nothing wrong with a Super CP. But you have to understand that most Walkera products have some warts you will have to deal with. It could be short motor life, short battery life, short flight times, defective chargers, bad servos or short product life cycles effecting parts availability. If you are OK with the issues, they perform well enough.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by Xwalt
Joined Dec 2013
294 Posts
Hmmmm ok, thnx balr14
Xwalt is offline Find More Posts by Xwalt