HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2006, 07:32 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Help!
GWS P51D "Im Melting!!!!"

Have botched attempt to monokote P51D. Practiced in scrap, control surfaces melted. Will replace surfaces damaged in blucore. Anyone know of a silver low temp surface that will work in styro?If not than future wax, here we go! Also where can you buy an adhesive like GWS glue? That stuff is great on foam!
Skonkworkstexas is offline Find More Posts by Skonkworkstexas
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2006, 07:48 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
UHU POR is a great alternative to GWS glue - same characteristics - coat both surfaces, let then get tacky/dry and then put together. Immediate bond
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Feb 21, 2006, 03:57 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skonkworkstexas
Anyone know of a silver low temp surface that will work in styro?
Chrome Ultracote has a mirror finish chrome that adhears at or about 200. I found useing a small ammount of spray glue <elmers in my case> got it to stick quite well.

You could also use 3mm foil tape. Also mirror like in finish it's major drawback is it's about twice as heavy as heat activated film.

Tommy D
Tommy D is online now Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Feb 22, 2006, 12:31 AM
Vampowered!
Crestview Florida
Joined Dec 2003
1,816 Posts
As far as glue goes....foam safe CA is awesome for me.
Also there is a little known product from Liquid Nails called "Perfect Formula #1". It is absolutely awesome for foam.
vammy
Vamooska is offline Find More Posts by Vamooska
Old Feb 22, 2006, 01:05 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
...texas,
In order to properly cover foam you have to have some essential tools, or I guess you know what happens?!
A good, adjustable iron that holds temp well. A good thermometer...I got one of those infrared ones from Tower Hobbies made by Hobbico, and also a good low temp iron on covering. Not any old covering will work!
I just covered a foam wing for my Wing Dragon AP ship. I used Tower Hobbies Tower Kote film. It costs about $6.99 per roll and uses low temps...even advertised for foam. It worked really well. I kept an eye on my temps with that Hobbico thing and it worked well. My 21st Century iron held the temp very constant, which helped a lot too.
I am not sure what all colors the Tower Kote comes in, but worth a look.
www.towerhobbies.com I love their search function...I can find things I never knew existed!
Good luck,
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2006, 06:45 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Am repairing bubbled surfaced with DAP Ultralight spackling. Wife took a crack last night at it, and styro looked mottled through the film. What do you use for fineprep of the surface? and if you sand, how high a weight do you go?
The IR thermometer is the best idea yet! What do you consider critical temp? can you shrink, and still not blow the foam?
Old Feb 23, 2006, 12:50 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Yeah, that little IR temp thing I got from Tower Hobbies...made by Hobbico....has been quite handy. I use it to check motor and battery temps when trying out new combinations. Don't want to toast anything!?!?!
I had good success with the Towerkote brand film at about 195* At this temp the foam just started to bead up but stayed smooth under the film. The only prep I did was to sand all the dimples down so the surface was very smooth...along with some of that lightweight spackle to fill in dents. I think it came out pretty good, with no foam damage.
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2006, 06:31 AM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSI
Yeah, that little IR temp thing I got from Tower Hobbies...made by Hobbico....has been quite handy. I use it to check motor and battery temps when trying out new combinations. Don't want to toast anything!?!?!
I had good success with the Towerkote brand film at about 195* At this temp the foam just started to bead up but stayed smooth under the film. The only prep I did was to sand all the dimples down so the surface was very smooth...along with some of that lightweight spackle to fill in dents. I think it came out pretty good, with no foam damage.
Ken
Questions
The Ir thermometers-When I bench test, the motor may be cool after cutoff, then warm up shortly thereafter. This is of course the the Stator is superheated, and the heat transitions from the stator, through the air gap, magnets, case. Will the thermo measure stator temp internally if pointed into the opening? I get concerned about the burst.
I am getting ready to order new covering. Have you tried Black Baron? they claim that their stuff works below 150 degree F.