HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2013, 03:06 PM
Joined Jun 2012
9 Posts
Discussion
Stick with Master CP or go for smaller CP???

Hi Everyone,

Just as the title says; just wonder what everyone's opinion is on this. I just seem to be struggling with this and could use some sound advice.

Knowing the Master CP makes for a great beginner CP. I have been managing hovering tail in with no problem what so ever. Side to side hovering is a bit of the same but I seem to struggle with it. Its sloppy at best and I can only maintain it for very few seconds before needing the tail in front of me again to sort of regroup. For some reason my fingers just stiffen / tense up doing side hovering(s). I know its all in the pucker factor. Just fearing that it will get away from me and I'll end up crashing it to bits then. This is all cause I'm flying it in my medium sized backyard. Haven't yet taken it out to soccer field since there are always too many ppl around.

Weird thing is that with side hovering along with nose in hovering, I can play it out mentally in my mind as I have done in Phoenix very easily. Its just seems so natural for me in the sim. Doing things such as FFF, tight/ fast banked turns seem just relaxing as well as coming in for hot landings all in one piece if you know what I mean...but thats all in the sim.

I'm just wondering if I should just stick with this 200 size for learning CP (cause of its stability as everyone says) or go for something like the Super CP instead (more crash resistant but very twitchy). For one thing hell of a lot less pucker factor. Perhaps it will also make the transition faster to the master as bigger cp?

So just curious to know what you ppl think. Is it a good idea to get a super CP and bind it with my Devo 7e and start with that instead and just use that as my real life simulator or just stick with the Master instead for the long haul.

Does it defeat the purpose in having 2 very (different) CP trainers? Where as I should only be sticking to one?

Would that $$ being spent on the Super CP be beneficial at all or no since that would mean that I would need to shell out additional $$ for its spare parts. (Note: that Super IF its a good idea to get would only be flown outdoors even in winter if I can).

Also if you look at the grand scheme of things, as mentioned I would be investing too much $$ in that smaller heli where as I could use that $$ for additional Master spare parts or even Swift 550NX parts which I haven't even touched. That Swift has been in its box inside the closet for so many yrs now. One day I always tell myself..one day...haha.

So sorry for the long post and hope I didn't confuse anyone with my ramblings.
Just deciding which way to go is all.

Thanks!!
Haz
Haz1 is offline Find More Posts by Haz1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2013, 04:20 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,863 Posts
Personally I would go with the SuperCP since you say you can fly CP easily in a sim. If you fly over grass and use throttle hold generously the Super shouldn't need any spares. Once you're comfortable flying the Super IRL the Master should be much easier and less intimidating.
TheKingPhisher is offline Find More Posts by TheKingPhisher
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 13, 2013, 04:56 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,003 Posts
What you are describing is a function of HOT - Hours-Of-Training. The more HOT you got the more stable your tail-in and side-in hovering will become. The variable that is more difficult to define is the hours it takes to reach that HOT point. The older you get the longer it takes to develop muscle memory and it is muscle memory that is at the controls. The conscious mind is just going along for the ride and it is way too slow to react or figure out which way to move the cyclic stick. The Phoenix simulator is an excellent platform for developing muscle memory but it takes serious work and a regimented program - which is not a whole lot of fun. Nothing more fun than flying in the real world. Unfortunately crashing is part of learning in the real world. A micro CP helicopter will be a lot more squirrely than your Master CP but it will also be a lot more forgiving when it crashes because of it's low mass. Another advantage is you can practice indoors and that will extend your flying time to hours instead of minutes. Once you have mastered a micro and developed your muscle memory - your "confidence factor" will take over the "pucker factor".

captJac
CaptJac is online now Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2013, 05:23 AM
Joined Jun 2012
9 Posts
Thanks guys for adding some clarification.

King Phisher:
Thats what I was thinking in my mind but just wasn't 100% sure. Self doubting is never good. I think I would do ok in terms of crashes with the Super CP if flown outdoors over grass. I've always have the one finger resting right behind the TH switch if need be. I've had a few close calls but the MCP would just literally bounce right back up from the ground even after hitting/landing hard on the skids. Lucky perhaps.

CaptJac:
Makes alot of sense of what you mention. Just more and more stick time needed. Focus on the flying as opposed to just reading endlessly on the forums and playing things over and over in ones mind of how its supposed to be done. Its the classic you loose it if you dont use it (memory muscle).

Now regarding spares, I know that I should stock up on the obvious being:

blades- main & tail
servos- 1 or 2 perhaps??? (even if i do the servo saver mod?)
landing skid
servo holder
main gear
batteries
tail boom
motors- main & tail

But should I also get (or are they not needed if I'm careful enough):

feathering shaft (mini cp)
main shaft (genius)
swashplate
canopy

Anything else that I'm missing?
Haz1 is offline Find More Posts by Haz1
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:01 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Mar 2013
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz1 View Post
Thanks guys for adding some clarification.

King Phisher:
Thats what I was thinking in my mind but just wasn't 100% sure. Self doubting is never good. I think I would do ok in terms of crashes with the Super CP if flown outdoors over grass. I've always have the one finger resting right behind the TH switch if need be. I've had a few close calls but the MCP would just literally bounce right back up from the ground even after hitting/landing hard on the skids. Lucky perhaps.

CaptJac:
Makes alot of sense of what you mention. Just more and more stick time needed. Focus on the flying as opposed to just reading endlessly on the forums and playing things over and over in ones mind of how its supposed to be done. Its the classic you loose it if you dont use it (memory muscle).

Now regarding spares, I know that I should stock up on the obvious being:

blades- main & tail
servos- 1 or 2 perhaps??? (even if i do the servo saver mod?)
landing skid
servo holder
main gear
batteries
tail boom
motors- main & tail

But should I also get (or are they not needed if I'm careful enough):

feathering shaft (mini cp)
main shaft (genius)
swashplate
canopy

Anything else that I'm missing?
Solid tail boom is a must for Super CP and Mini CP. All micro heli will eventually get twisted and break the tail boom....
eggma is offline Find More Posts by eggma