HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:54 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
3Daddict's Avatar
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Kewl

Then... I figure if I can get the Stiffy Extra to do anything half-decent, I should be able to fly the wings of a SkyWing

BJ
That is true, if you can do the moves with a stiffy than you can do them with anything.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:09 PM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
BJ64's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,740 Posts
...but I do tend to agree with an earlier comment - it's a bit like trying to get a brick to jump through hoops

Not the easiest plane to learn on, but heaps of fun just the same.

Must seriously start looking at these SkyWings - everyone who has one gives them the thumbs-up

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:49 PM
Wherever you go there you are
7oneWo1f's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,442 Posts
I just checked the prcie....if you could figure out how to get the total cost including shipping to $140, this plane would dominate the U.S. market. But I'm guessing one could pick up and equip a balsa/ultracote Edge 540T from another manufacturer for about the same price as this plane.

Probably will do better outside of the U.S.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:54 PM
Wherever you go there you are
7oneWo1f's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,442 Posts
UPDATE:

WOW, I just checked...$142.74 to my address if I use HK Large Parcel service.....tempting...have too many planes to build though. Includes spinner, whellpants, CF landing gear too?

Did you guys state what motor/servos/esc/BEC/battery/prop you were using?
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:21 AM
Registered User
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
I just checked the prcie....if you could figure out how to get the total cost including shipping to $140, this plane would dominate the U.S. market. But I'm guessing one could pick up and equip a balsa/ultracote Edge 540T from another manufacturer for about the same price as this plane.

Probably will do better outside of the U.S.
Hmm, I'd sure like to know what plane could be equipped for that money. Figure $60.00 for a cheap motor/esc combo. Another $50.00 for good economic servo's, plus another $10.00 for shipping cost, that leaves about $10.00 for the airframe shipped. I want in on this deal. At this rate I could afford replacing it after a hard crash when picking up the toothpicks.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:18 AM
Registered User
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
671 Posts
I think lonewolf was talking about the cost of the airframe only plus shipping, and after checking he found it was right in line with his hoped for price.
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:10 AM
Where's my orange kool-aid?
xzuberance's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Boronia
Joined Apr 2010
714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
...but I do tend to agree with an earlier comment - it's a bit like trying to get a brick to jump through hoops

Not the easiest plane to learn on, but heaps of fun just the same.

Must seriously start looking at these SkyWings - everyone who has one gives them the thumbs-up

BJ
BJ

I actually have a spare NIB blue and orange MXS kit. Bought it as a spare just in case I wreck my current one. You're more than welcome to take the kit off me as I've been trying to find an excuse to get the edge  Just cover my purchase and shipping costs. Let me know if you're keen.
xzuberance is offline Find More Posts by xzuberance
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:54 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
BJ64's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,740 Posts
Off to the 'City of Churches' for 2 weeks come Friday, so I won't be in a position to buy anything until I return to Melbn.

Time for some R&R - fly a few Lekkie planes, maybe some Slope, and if all goes well I'll get to maiden my nitro-burner

Will be keeping a keen eye on this thread - to help me decide which of these SkyWing marvels best suits my (non)flying style LoL

Thx for all your advice so far guys

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:05 AM
Crash & Burn
rmgmag's Avatar
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
Hey Groovejet, what size 3S batteries and what kind of run times are you getting out of them with this plane?

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger. I'm thinking that the Dynam Ultimate 3D may have to be put on the back burner. :-)

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:45 AM
Wherever you go there you are
7oneWo1f's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Hmm, I'd sure like to know what plane could be equipped for that money. Figure $60.00 for a cheap motor/esc combo. Another $50.00 for good economic servo's, plus another $10.00 for shipping cost, that leaves about $10.00 for the airframe shipped. I want in on this deal. At this rate I could afford replacing it after a hard crash when picking up the toothpicks.
Yeah, that would be a better deal than the one I meant.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:28 AM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
VR Eyedoc's Avatar
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
UPDATE:

WOW, I just checked...$142.74 to my address if I use HK Large Parcel service.....tempting...have too many planes to build though. Includes spinner, whellpants, CF landing gear too?

Did you guys state what motor/servos/esc/BEC/battery/prop you were using?
yes, It seems that spinner, whellpants, CF landing gear, nylon servos arm extensions and ball link push rods are all included in the kit.

these airplanes are designed around the following setup:
3542 130 grams class brushless motor, 800-1000kv with 13X6.5 props.
40-60A ESC
12-16g metal gear servos (I recommend corona 939 or it's HV version )
3S 2200 lipo
VR Eyedoc is offline Find More Posts by VR Eyedoc
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:07 PM
Registered User
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcguy1958 View Post
I think lonewolf was talking about the cost of the airframe only plus shipping, and after checking he found it was right in line with his hoped for price.
He did say pick up AND EQUIP. That's what I based my reply on. It's no biggie, just like to be clear and hate to base a decision whether or not to buy a product based on an exaggerated statement. Personally I think these planes are a heck of a value, not based on price but based on durability and flying characteristics.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:03 PM
Wherever you go there you are
7oneWo1f's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
He did say pick up AND EQUIP. That's what I based my reply on. It's no biggie, just like to be clear and hate to base a decision whether or not to buy a product based on an exaggerated statement. Personally I think these planes are a heck of a value, not based on price but based on durability and flying characteristics.
I wrote "But I'm guessing one could pick up and equip a balsa/ultracote Edge 540T from another manufacturer for about the same price as this plane."

Anyway, peace.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:05 PM
Wherever you go there you are
7oneWo1f's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,442 Posts
And then I wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
UPDATE:

WOW, I just checked...$142.74 to my address if I use HK Large Parcel service.....tempting...have too many planes to build though. Includes spinner, whellpants, CF landing gear too?

Did you guys state what motor/servos/esc/BEC/battery/prop you were using?
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:15 AM
How many planes is too many?
groovejet's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
...but I do tend to agree with an earlier comment - it's a bit like trying to get a brick to jump through hoops

Not the easiest plane to learn on, but heaps of fun just the same.

Must seriously start looking at these SkyWings - everyone who has one gives them the thumbs-up

BJ
Stop picking on the Stiffys, guys . I wish I still had my Stiffy videos online so I could show you guys how great they fly. They used to be my favourite planes at one stage, with me preferring the Extra Stiffy overall.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag View Post
Hey Groovejet, what size 3S batteries and what kind of run times are you getting out of them with this plane?

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger. I'm thinking that the Dynam Ultimate 3D may have to be put on the back burner. :-)

Bob
Hi Bob,

I'm using Turnigy 3S2200 40C lipos and am getting around 6 minutes out of them, based on 2 flights in the wind.

BTW one of my mods didn't last very long. I took the cowl off and noticed that my icypole stick cross-brace on the top of the motor cage had come loose after only 2 flights. Here is version 2 of that mod, with a single cross-brace tied on with cotton thread soaked in thin CA. I'll see how long this one lasts .
groovejet is online now Find More Posts by groovejet
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Skywing, Winner's Model, Hokusei, 3DHS 48"-55" EPP Build & Repair Tips groovejet 3D Foamies 407 Jul 24, 2014 07:05 PM
New Product SkyWing 39-in EPP Edge-540 feda 3D Foamies 120 Jan 22, 2014 06:01 PM
Discussion SkyWing 48-in Extra 300L Under Development feda 3D Foamies 229 Nov 04, 2012 01:55 AM
Sold 3DHS 48" Orange Edge 540 LPU in CT newheliguy81 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Aug 19, 2012 07:57 AM