HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:50 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Nice maiden Made me want to go fly in the dark. I'm going through Pitts withdraw because mine has been in pieces for the last week. Hopefully tomorrow will be nice enough to go toss it around with the new carbon and paint. I'm not sure how much the carbon on the wings will do but it sure looks nice! I didn't seem to have any wing flex before the carbon though. My tail is much, much stiffer though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
AZA, great video man. I've only flown mine once and it seemed very tail heavy as well at the recommended CG. Im thinking locating the CG around 70mm from LE is better, instead of the 85-90 that it says in the manual. Impressive job on the landing and the first 15 seconds are humorous.
Thanks for the kind words guys. The first about 30 seconds to a minute I was just trying to trim out the tail heavyness, it was a nightmare! I am not sure what my CG is at. On my second flight I moved the battery forward and it still was very tail heavy. That is why on the third flight I said F-IT! and just moved the battery as far forward as I could and it flew great!

I would love to hear a flight report after you put the carbon in the tail and also would like to see how you did it. That will definitely be my next step on this plane. I have not had any flex in the wings and as you can tell I did tumble it a few times here and there. My screws that hold the wings on are doing great too! I just used a fair amount of Loctite blue on every single one of them. It was tedious but it is paying off. A few words of advice, watch your landings. The gear flexes something awful even in nice landings. Mine has not bent, yet, but it has flexed enough for my prop to nick the ground.
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:50 PM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Thanks guys

I am not a big fan of biplanes, but the Beast 3D changed that for me. However... my stepfather who is deceased got me into planes as a yound child, and he adored biplanes. This plane would be in tribute to him. I am thinking a nice Brandywine/purple.. with the name "B R U C E" done BIG on the top wing, and in loving memory of Bruce E. Kruger on the bottom wing... in a rich gold/yellow. Honestly I look forward to a larger plane.

So really all I need is a receiver for my Dx6i, and a few batteries? Is there anything I need to be aware of (strengthing or anything) as I build it, and are they even available?
First off, they're currently out of stock.

When you do get one, there are few things you should do.
  1. Reinforce the vertical and horizontal stabilizer rod mounts with CA or epoxy. Otherwise, heat will loosen the glue and they will pop off. They are the only yellow plastic pieces on the red plane.
  2. There are two lids that come off, the one for the battery, and then another underneath the top wing which allows access to the receiver. You'll need to put a piece of double-sided tape on the front and back edges that touch the metal wing mounts. Otherwise, it will pop-off in flight.
  3. A couple of people have experienced a weak motor mount (mine was fine). You may want to add CA or epoxy to where the motor mount meets the fuselage. You can access that through the battery compartment.
  4. Your motor will likely stutter at very low throttle input. This doesn't affect flight and 'fixing' it isn't a requirement. But you can program your ESC to change the motor timing to either low or high. It's at medium by default.

Although your custom paint scheme sounds like an honorable tribute, can I recommend that you save a custom paint scheme for a static (non-flying) model? Crashing a plane is difficult enough to deal with, I think it would be even more painful if yours has sentimental value. You did say you're relatively new to R/C flight.

- Larry
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:41 PM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,559 Posts
Here she is! Ask any questions you want. It flies amazing with all the carbon. Definitely worth the $20 I spent on the carbon.
FlyWW1 is online now Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:52 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,233 Posts
Great job! Looks awesome! Keep it looking good for about a month so I can see it in person.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Mar 06, 2012, 02:10 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,361 Posts
Wow, that turned out great! How are you attaching the carbon rods to the airframe?
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Mar 06, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,559 Posts
Thanks! My heart was pounding on the re maiden. I cut the carbon at slight angle then if I could sink them in the foam I did and if not they had a nice flat surface for CA to attach to the strut braces or whatever else. They are rock solid and make a nice whistle in the air.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 02:28 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,361 Posts
Alright thanks.....man that side profile shot looks sweet.
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Mar 06, 2012, 03:36 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Here she is! Ask any questions you want. It flies amazing with all the carbon. Definitely worth the $20 I spent on the carbon.
That thing looks amazing! I wish I had similar stickers to put on my red one. You did a great job flyWW1!!! I hope the re-maiden went well. Man that is a sweet looking bird.
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old Mar 06, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAerobat View Post
That thing looks amazing! I wish I had similar stickers to put on my red one. You did a great job flyWW1!!! I hope the re-maiden went well. Man that is a sweet looking bird.
Thanks Man! The re-maiden went off without a hitch. I've flown it 3 more times and love it more with every flight. I think tomorrow I'll try a 14x6 and see if I can get a little more punch with that. Has anyone gone from the stock prop to a 14x6 or 14x7? Just wondering what you thought about the difference.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 09:20 PM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagan View Post
First off, they're currently out of stock.

When you do get one, there are few things you should do.
  1. Reinforce the vertical and horizontal stabilizer rod mounts with CA or epoxy. Otherwise, heat will loosen the glue and they will pop off. They are the only yellow plastic pieces on the red plane.
  2. There are two lids that come off, the one for the battery, and then another underneath the top wing which allows access to the receiver. You'll need to put a piece of double-sided tape on the front and back edges that touch the metal wing mounts. Otherwise, it will pop-off in flight.
  3. A couple of people have experienced a weak motor mount (mine was fine). You may want to add CA or epoxy to where the motor mount meets the fuselage. You can access that through the battery compartment.
  4. Your motor will likely stutter at very low throttle input. This doesn't affect flight and 'fixing' it isn't a requirement. But you can program your ESC to change the motor timing to either low or high. It's at medium by default.

Although your custom paint scheme sounds like an honorable tribute, can I recommend that you save a custom paint scheme for a static (non-flying) model? Crashing a plane is difficult enough to deal with, I think it would be even more painful if yours has sentimental value. You did say you're relatively new to R/C flight.

- Larry

Larry.. Thank you for the tips.. exactly what I am looking for. I did make a couple calls today and have no idea when this plane will be available... but I will keep checking. I will likely have LOTS of questions. Yes, trust me I get what you are saying, but in this case I feel differently I think. To not fly a tribute plane is not acceptable. Yes, mishaps happen and if so then we do another... but to fly it in memory for however long... the very beauty. Trust me.. if I had just a bit of his ashes they would be in the cockpit and CG balanced out, but in the end, honestly, I'd be tempted to fly it into the distant sky on one last flight as a final goodbye.

I do understand I am a beginner, and I may be wrong.. but by the time I finally am able to get and build this (lol).. I'll likely have 200 flights on twitchy 4-channel micros, and believe me.. I would take it low rates, high expo, and very, very slow at first. BUT... Bruce would be harriering in my local park eventually
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Old Mar 07, 2012, 08:58 AM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Trust me.. if I had just a bit of his ashes they would be in the cockpit and CG balanced out, but in the end, honestly, I'd be tempted to fly it into the distant sky on one last flight as a final goodbye.
Got chills when I read this.
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:18 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,344 Posts
FlyWW1 - Looks awesome! I have not been able to maiden mine yet. Too windy lately. I have a week off starting this weekend, so I'm sure I'll get it going this week sometime.

Here are a couple of pics I took while I was cleaning the garage last week. If it flies half as well as the ZG Python, I'll be thrilled.
Tim H. is online now Find More Posts by Tim H.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:04 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,559 Posts
Thanks Tim! That ZG Python is sweet! Can anyone tell me the diameter of the stock spinner? I tossed mine and I'd like to order a new one. Thanks!
Old Mar 09, 2012, 11:59 AM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,344 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Tim! That ZG Python is sweet! Can anyone tell me the diameter of the stock spinner? I tossed mine and I'd like to order a new one. Thanks!
2" spinner.

I'm going to go out and solder a new connector on my watt meter and see what we get on the stock setup.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 12:29 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,344 Posts
Just went out and measured the stock setup.

E-flight 30c 4s 2200 pack
35.5 amps
465 watts

Pack was about 80% charged I imagine. Hope this helps...

Just ordered a Hokusei Sbach 342 EPP HV for some front yard flying. Hopefully it'll be here soon and I can get it going while I am off this week.