HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2011, 10:58 PM
Joined May 2011
6 Posts
Alert
4 Hours for New 11.1V 2200mAh Battery to Charge!

Hey guy's so just got a new Dynam E-Razor 450 Carbon Fiber Edition and the second time after first use the battery took 4 hours to charge. The manual clearly states should take about 1.52 hours also I did not completely drain it because it is first use. So should take less than 1.52 hours. Definitely not 4 hours but this was Xheil's tech support response...

"That battery will take about 3-4 hours for a full charge if you are using the stock charger."

That's B.S. considering the manual clearly states 1.52 hours.

Anyone have a 2200mAh battery take 4 hours to charge?
HersheyP is offline Find More Posts by HersheyP
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2011, 11:03 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HersheyP View Post
Hey guy's so just got a new Dynam E-Razor 450 Carbon Fiber Edition and the second time after first use the battery took 4 hours to charge. The manual clearly states should take about 1.52 hours also I did not completely drain it because it is first use. So should take less than 1.52 hours. Definitely not 4 hours but this was Xheil's tech support response...

"That battery will take about 3-4 hours for a full charge if you are using the stock charger."

That's B.S. considering the manual clearly states 1.52 hours.

Anyone have a 2200mAh battery take 4 hours to charge?
depends on how many amps the charger is charing your lipo at...
if completely out and you charging at 1C... 2.2 amps, it will be about 1 hr

but 1.1 amps...2 hrs
.5 amps...3 hrs...
I think that's right

if it's taking that long, your charger is more likely only putting out .5amps or so.

do you know how many amps the charger is putting out?
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old May 07, 2011, 12:09 AM
Joined May 2011
6 Posts
It is 1.0 Amp
HersheyP is offline Find More Posts by HersheyP
Old May 07, 2011, 12:16 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,830 Posts
Quote:
It is 1.0 Amp
at 1 amp, it should be no more than 2, 2.5 hrs max. However, it's more likely you're you're not flying all of 2200mah, so probably only 1800mah or so being put back in...with that 1.52 hrs seems reasonable.

I'm betting that charger is putting out no more than .5 amps...
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old May 07, 2011, 02:34 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,553 Posts
I'm a little surprised that the stock charger for a 2200mAh battery is only 1A because, as others have said, theoretical time for a full charge will be in excess of 2 hours. The usual conservative charge rate would be 1C, which for a 2200mAh battery equates to 2.2A.

But there is another possible reason why a pack takes longer than normal to charge, and that's if the charger is having a problem balancing it. Some of my older packs were taking over 3 hours at 1C rate just before I discarded them.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old May 07, 2011, 02:50 AM
The 6 P principle works for me
Ventura CA
Joined Aug 2007
961 Posts
A one amp charger can take a while to charge a 2.2 amp battery. If you have not measured it then, you can not even be sure that it is outputing 1 amp. Also, as Abenn has stated some chargers have trouble balancing and this can also add to the charge time. There are at least a few good balancing chargers that can support 5 amp charge rate for $50-$75.

Michael
elecfryer is online now Find More Posts by elecfryer
Old May 07, 2011, 04:23 AM
Joined Mar 2009
71 Posts
I may be a balance issue on the battery.

I would buy a good charger so you can see what is going on. Some of the new battery's you can charge at 5C or even higher.

2.2 amps x 5 = 11 amps. Then if you start parallel charging you can use a 1000 watt or higher charger real fast. Then if you get bigger battery's you need bigger battery's.

I have 2 Powerlab 8's with 4 "Parrallel Safe Adaptors" on each one. So I can charge 8 battery's at a time.

I think a good charger will last a long time it is cheaper to buy once than twice.
http://www.revolectrix.com/pl8_description_tab.htm

If you are really not going any bigger. This may be a good charger for you. I have not used one myself.
http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/cha...i-charger.html
KAW_Concours is offline Find More Posts by KAW_Concours
Old May 07, 2011, 05:48 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,553 Posts
If you do get a better charger, HersheyP, you need to take heed of what the battery manufacturer recommends for maximum charge rate. More amps will give you shorter charging time but, unless it's stated on the battery, the usual recommendation is to go no higher than 1C rate -- for a 2200mAh pack that's 2.2A; for a 1500mAh pack, it's 1.5A; and so on.

Some modern packs can take a 5C charge (theoretically 12 minute charge time) without any harm, which would be 11A for a 2200mAh pack and pro rata for other sizes. But only go above 1C if the pack specifically says you can.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old May 07, 2011, 07:00 AM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Hey guy's so just got a new Dynam E-Razor 450 Carbon Fiber Edition and the second time after first use the battery took 4 hours to charge. The manual clearly states should take about 1.52 hours
I was unable to find any info online regarding the charger that comes with the E-Razor 350 CF and couldn't find the manual either so like the others I can make an educated guess.

Is the charger a tiny little plastic box with a plug for 2S batteries and a plug for 3S batteries and three LEDs on the top that light up green/red/yellow to indicate charging status? When I tested a charger like this made by Turnigy the claimed 1.2A charging rate turned out to be more like 0.49A at best and much lower on average. These types of chargers are often made of three 1S charger ICs connected in series, so in effect you are attaching one battery charger to each cell of your battery. I think what they do is add up the current for each 1S charger then slap that number on the label so you think you are getting more for your money than you really are.

So if this is the type of charger you have then we can estimate 0.4A from your charger at best. This would equate to 5.5 hours to fully charge your 22000 mAh battery. My suggestion would be to save up and buy the FMA Multi4.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732