HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:51 PM
United States, NC, Rocky Mt
Joined Oct 2003
1,109 Posts
What led light did you use? I am trying to get mine wired up and cant figure out what leds I would need from radio shack to use the extra channel on the rec.
P-51 flyby is offline Find More Posts by P-51 flyby
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:34 PM
United States, WV, St Albans
Joined Jun 2011
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-51 flyby View Post
What led light did you use? I am trying to get mine wired up and cant figure out what leds I would need from radio shack to use the extra channel on the rec.
I used Ram Park Flyer Plus Lights on my plane.
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/RAM187.html

Jim
WVrailfan is offline Find More Posts by WVrailfan
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:34 AM
Australia, TAS, Wynyard
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
A couple of pics of my Dak 2......crashed Dak 1 on maiden!! Painted up in 1950's RAAF dayglo scheme.Should get a fly in tomorrow....hope all goes well!?Dak 1 is now a great slope soarer with motors removed
christhomas is offline Find More Posts by christhomas
Old Oct 05, 2012, 05:52 AM
Plane Fanatic
Australia, QLD, Gympie
Joined Jul 2007
738 Posts
Best of luck with the maiden Chris

I found you need to do a long take off - build up airspeed before letting her take off otherwise it will tip stall left/right (mine kept going left).
DeathWarmedUp is online now Find More Posts by DeathWarmedUp
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,708 Posts
Great looking paint job Chris. I found the orange helps me a great deal when it comes to seeing the plane at a distance, and, it just looks good against a blue sky.
Good luck with the maiden.
Jim
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:49 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
519 Posts
I 2nd that on a great looking aircraft Chris! Good luck on your maiden flight. Let us know how it goes. Hoping to maiden ours on Sunday. Even though we are the second owner, I consider it OUR maiden flight
rcflyinff is online now Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:50 AM
Australia, TAS, Wynyard
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
Yeah!! Maiden without the prang Short but sweet flight in perfect conditions.
christhomas is offline Find More Posts by christhomas
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:31 PM
United States, FL
Joined Mar 2012
519 Posts
Does anyone have any suggestions on D/R & Expo rates for our first flight? Any need for any Expo? Hoping to maiden it tomorrow. Hoping to send out a good report
rcflyinff is online now Find More Posts by rcflyinff
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:53 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyinff View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions on D/R & Expo rates for our first flight? Any need for any Expo? Hoping to maiden it tomorrow. Hoping to send out a good report
For your first flight, for low rates, try 80% rates and 20% expo. That's a safe start. If that's too numb, flip it over to your high rates (100%, no expo). Adjust to taste for the next time.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:23 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
1,959 Posts
Don't fly with expo. It's like dulling your senses. You need to learn to fly the plane and this one flies nice and the only thing you need to watch out for is stalling when trying to turn without enough forward speed.
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:35 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,480 Posts
20% expo is nothing and telling someone to never fly with expo is not good advice. You may be doing them a disservice. You may not like expo for your DC-3 but that may not be the case for someone else. And it certainly does not apply if that person is going to fly a different plane in future. You may call it "dulling your senses". Some may call it dialing in a slight safety margin for a beginner. I've seen so many beginners at the flying field suddenly over control their new planes into the ground within seconds after take off because they had no idea just how responsive a plane can be. But in the long run, what do I care? It's not my plane. Do what you like. Listen to whoever you like.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:40 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
1,959 Posts
You teach someone the correct way to set-up a plane and they won't need expo no matter how little experience they have. Learn or ask someone for help to set-up your planes and YOU FLY them. Don't rely on the radio to do it for you.
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:59 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,480 Posts
This is purely your opinion and not shared by all. That's all I'm saying on this matter. I'll let others interject if they so wish. It's a pointless argument and only the beginner who is reading this will suffer if he chooses the wrong person to listen to.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,708 Posts
I have a little expo in nearly all of my planes. My reason is, it smoothes the planes response to control inputs and gives it a more scale looking flight. I guess if I were an expert I wouldn't need to do this. However, after just a little over a year flying, I am no expert and will likely never reach a point where I feel I can make the ultra minute stick movements that would negate using a little expo. Most decent radios have it, so apparently a lot of flyers want it.

I commend anyone who has such a delicate touch that they have no use for expo. However, stating as a fact that using it is bad is probably a little inaccurate. Most of the seasoned flyers at my club, even the guys that fly the high performance aerobatic planes recommend some expo when helping me set up my planes. Since I've seen them do things with planes that amaze me, I'll go with their recommendation.

The Dynam C-47/Skybus is not a fighter or aerobatic stunt plane. I guess you can fly it like one if you like, but it really looks best in the air when it acts like the big cargo/passenger plane that it is a model of. For me that includes smooth turns, which is easier with a little expo. Mine is set to 35%. I don't consider it letting the radio fly my plane. I consider it using technology to improve my flying enjoyment.

By the way, keep in mind that the latest greatest real fighters all require an array of on board computers that basically add tons of expo and interpret pilot input to make the jets flyable. Without the help of the computers the planes would be un-flyable.

Jim
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:52 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVrailfan View Post
I don't consider it letting the radio fly my plane. I consider it using technology to improve my flying enjoyment.
Seasoned veterans and experts will use whatever there is available if it aids in their flying better. They even buy extremely fancy and advanced transmitters that have more of these aids. If the "best" way was the most fundamental way and nobody buys these products, manufacturers wouldn't sell them. Imagine someone who buys a flybarless RC helicopter and arrogantly proceeds to shut off all the stabilization because he wants the world to see him as truly "expert". There are many words for a person like that. One I immediately think of is ....................... dumb***.