HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:57 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiperBlade View Post
You just need one UBEC wired up to replace the two BECs on your ESCs. I saw a post on here a few pages back... lemme find it....

EDIT: It's on page 326. If you run with subsonic's advice on that page, you can skip adding a separate UBEC altogether. Two 40A ESCs apparently provide enough current to run all of the servos, retracts, and receiver.

Don't count your chickens just yet... She doesn't exactly sound like she is "in the loop" over there.
Ah yes thanks, my short term memory isn't what it used to be...
I explained to her that the V2 had servo-less retracts and slightly longer wing span, and she did ask the warehouse to confirm... so anyway I'll keep my expectations low i.e. a V1, so if by chance a V2 does show up I'll be pleasantly surprised like you

Cool pic Kevin!
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 05:28 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiperBlade View Post
I can live with that. In my line of work "complicated" gets you in trouble...
That's funny, in my line of work, making systems bigger, heavier and more expensive than they absolutely need to be mans the project might not get off the ground! Iím betting that your approach is a better one for choosing parts for a park flying foamy though. The goal has to be the most effective use of time to get the maximum enjoyable flight time possible. If youíre not anxious about the system falling over, itís more fun, right?

sub
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
Old Apr 25, 2012, 06:47 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,545 Posts
BEC Testing

A lot of good performance info here from Galaxiex:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...89&postcount=1
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:01 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
799 Posts
v1 vs. v2 span

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Ah yes thanks, my short term memory isn't what it used to be...
I explained to her that the V2 had servo-less retracts and slightly longer wing span, and she did ask the warehouse to confirm... so anyway I'll keep my expectations low i.e. a V1, so if by chance a V2 does show up I'll be pleasantly surprised like you

Cool pic Kevin!
Just FYI I have 2 V2's and my buddy has a V1. There is no difference in the span. They are exactly the same size. Paint is much better on the V2's tho.
jpflyer is offline Find More Posts by jpflyer
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:17 PM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
Nose wheel

Having a heck of a time with my nose wheel on v1. I put hobbypartz servoless retracts in and fits fine but the steering clip on the nose wheel will not "bite" into the inner tube...like the screws are too short. They screw onto the tube itself great but try to screw through the outside one plus the clip on outside and way too short. Gonna have to find longer screws.

You people who ordered v1 and got v2 make me sick!

Russ
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Apr 26, 2012, 05:04 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand View Post
A lot of good performance info here from Galaxiex:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...89&postcount=1
Great link thx for posting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpflyer View Post
Just FYI I have 2 V2's and my buddy has a V1. There is no difference in the span. They are exactly the same size. Paint is much better on the V2's tho.
huh, I thought it was strange they'd have such a small difference. Good to know that the wings should be interchangeable (assuming I get a V1 from HK, which tracking finally shows as clearing customs, and maybe, hopefully a V2 from Banana)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010 View Post
Having a heck of a time with my nose wheel on v1. I put hobbypartz servoless retracts in
Bummer. Did you fly at all with the stock V1 retracts before switching? Did they break or just decide to 'upgrade'?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:44 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
Just decided to upgrade...too many stories of failing on takeoff or landings.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2012, 02:08 PM
Upstanding Member
Joined Sep 2003
1,877 Posts
V1 arrived today

Got my first look at V1 retracts today, and I can see why you did Russ! They're pretty wimpy looking.

3 weeks after ordering my (first) HK order arrived in good order (no crushing of outer or inner box, in which HK also packed 2 chargers, a LiPo and a cute little windsock I ordered.
Paint job IS pretty spotty with a few runs and overspray, but for the price can't complain too much.
Unpacked and dry fitted the wings and nacelles, man it's an impressive bird.
The tenon joints for the vert stabs is larger than the mortises, is it expected to trim these down to fit (snugly, I presume, +epoxy)?
There only appears to be 6 little screws included, and as far as I can tell 12 are needed (6 for the props, 6 for the spinners). Is this normal?
Not going to be able to start testing the servos and wiring her up until Sunday at the earliest. Need to build a support (PVC I'm thinking) to hold her in place while I work on her.
Also keen to "crashproof" edges and maybe the belly with clear tape or maybe epoxy, the foam seems pretty soft.
Anyway, overall going to be a great looking plane in the sky or hanging in the garage, hopefully for quite a few flights.
Tomorrow I'm playing golf near Chicago, and as usual will tip my hat as I drive past the Bong Recreational Facility, dedicated to America's #1 ace Richard Bong and his P-38 Marge.
Cheers!
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:03 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,635 Posts
Kurt

I dingproofed mine with Clear Polyurethane and "painted" it on. I tried the spray can and it spits out "glops" sometimes that were hard to get off other planes so I just paint 'em now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:29 PM
Hopewell Jct. NY
Joined Jun 2004
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGS2010 View Post
Having a heck of a time with my nose wheel on v1. I put hobbypartz servoless retracts in and fits fine but the steering clip on the nose wheel will not "bite" into the inner tube...like the screws are too short. They screw onto the tube itself great but try to screw through the outside one plus the clip on outside and way too short. Gonna have to find longer screws.

You people who ordered v1 and got v2 make me sick!

Russ
I made mine more "scale". The real P-38 didn't have steerable nose gear, neither does mine. I just set it so it can't go completely to the side and snap the gear off, a problem shared by many WWII fighters and bombers.

Glenn
vicar is offline Find More Posts by vicar
Old Apr 27, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Dec 2006
852 Posts
I'm no expert on the p38 and I'm well aware of castering tail wheels on fighter aircraft but how does the p38 taxi with out a steerable nose wheel
iceaxe is online now Find More Posts by iceaxe
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:24 PM
Scott
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Jul 2010
47 Posts
You can use the engines to steer. Easy enough to do, just put the motors on separate channels then program your transmitter
moodified13 is offline Find More Posts by moodified13
Last edited by moodified13; Apr 27, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Dec 2006
852 Posts
Think someone needs to contact the group who restored glacier girl and let them know their p38 is not scale as it has a steerable nose gear which is odd considering that when she was restored she was restored to factory standard according to a doco that I saw on her
Here is a vid of her first display after her restoration
P-38, Glacier Girl's First Air Show (7 min 36 sec)
iceaxe is online now Find More Posts by iceaxe
Old Apr 28, 2012, 12:03 AM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
iceaxe, nothing about that video seems to indicate a steerable nosewheel, in fact, there's plenty of evidence to the contrary.
A castering nosewheel will still turn, it's just not being turned by the pilot...it's being turned by the torsion created from a single brake or engine.
Think of it as pushing a little red wagon from the back and trying to turn it by holding one side and pushing on the other, or just standing beside it and pushing until it turns.
It takes some effort, but with enough force the wheels will track into the turn.
Watch the video you posted at 2:28 and notice how he had to use the brakes to get that nosewheel tracking straight again after the turn he made.
Castering is actually a more common method than steerable in experimental aircraft.
Other common aircraft without steerable nosewheels (castering nosewheel):
Grumman Yankee
RV series with nosewheel
Cirrus aircraft
Bellanca Viking (ok, so it's steerable, but it doesn't act like it LOL)

Here's a picture of the nose gear, notice the lack of pushrods or similar actuating methods to actively turn the wheel:

Moodified13, pertaining to FS aircraft...you can use the engines to turn, but more often than not you're using the brakes.
The brakes provide a better feel and are instantaneous when used, an engine can stutter or take a while longer to affect the airframe.
Engines are best used for turning in tight spots and large directional changes (>45deg).
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Last edited by WestTexasKing; Apr 28, 2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 07:43 AM
Scott
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Jul 2010
47 Posts
I was only weighing in on how to steer the jpower model. Mine doesn't have brakes!
moodified13 is offline Find More Posts by moodified13