Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:12 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
662 Posts
I made up some floats, however I found out the stock MPX rudder servo is not happy. May have to unplug the rudder to test them out.

When the rudder is on center and the battery is plugged in, the rudder slowly moves to a position for full right yaw. Unplug the battery, manually twist the servo back to center plug it in, this repeats. Unplugged the rudder servo from the AR8000 and tried an S3004 from Futaba. This servo does not do this at all. Complete control. Plug the stock MPX servo back in and the same previous results continue.

Quite obvious it is the servo. Would have been scary if this happened in the air.
ryan_t888 is offline Find More Posts by ryan_t888
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:32 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurentjeuxlille View Post
In fact i plan to put on the minimag a fpv system, so i need more power.... this motor have the same kv (1100 and 1120 kv), but have more watts. I think more watts means more power.

I tried my fpv with the permax motor and it cant take off from grass... a hand launch is needed and it seems to have trouble to climb.
Would you elaborate on the FPV equipment you are trying to carry with your MiniMag? Obviously it must be a lot more than a small keychain camera. I have a keychain 808 #16 mounted on the wing of my MiniMag. This camera only weighs 17 grams so the plane is not even aware of it. I mounted it on the wing, just far enough out so that the camera doesn't see the prop. My videos are clean and clear with no "jello effect" at all.

Are you wanting to send live video plus telemetry data down from your MiniMag? If so, I'd be interested in the hardware you are considerating using.

As for lifting power, my Super Cub will lift a bit more than the MiniMag, since it's a little bigger with a 48 inch wingspan. But I have an Apprentice, still in the box, and it should be my best lifter. My plan is to add at least telemetry to it, and hopefully also FPV video.

Gus, in sunny Texas where the temperature is currently 40 degrees C (104 F).
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:55 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
662 Posts
MiniMag on custom floats

40C wow! We see 40+C with the humidity factor not bare temp.

Float Design worked very well for the MM. Definitely felt like there were floats on there. Had to mix rudder with the ailerons or feed it in manually otherwise photo number 2 below happened.

ryan_t888 is offline Find More Posts by ryan_t888
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:51 AM
France, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, Croix
Joined Jul 2011
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
Would you elaborate on the FPV equipment you are trying to carry with your MiniMag? Obviously it must be a lot more than a small keychain camera. I have a keychain 808 #16 mounted on the wing of my MiniMag. This camera only weighs 17 grams so the plane is not even aware of it. I mounted it on the wing, just far enough out so that the camera doesn't see the prop. My videos are clean and clear with no "jello effect" at all.

Are you wanting to send live video plus telemetry data down from your MiniMag? If so, I'd be interested in the hardware you are considerating using.

As for lifting power, my Super Cub will lift a bit more than the MiniMag, since it's a little bigger with a 48 inch wingspan. But I have an Apprentice, still in the box, and it should be my best lifter. My plan is to add at least telemetry to it, and hopefully also FPV video.

Gus, in sunny Texas where the temperature is currently 40 degrees C (104 F).
I bought my fpv at hobbyking. It's heavy, but with my new motor, 3s lipo and a 9x5 prop, it works.

The only problm is.... i made a bad landing yesterday while trying my new set up and... broke the nose of the plane...

My mistake.
laurentjeuxlille is offline Find More Posts by laurentjeuxlille
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:10 AM
Build, fly, crash. Repeat.
Switzerland, Canton of Neuchâtel, Neuchâtel
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
Hey guys, just thought I'd show my little setup for on-board camera (nothing impressive, the keychain camera from hobbyking).

Essentially I wanted something so I can easily remove the camera, and a position that would keep me away from the prop and the water, should I happen to have an unhappy flipover (happened to me twice so far).

I noticed that in case of a flipover, the wing is underwater pretty much up to the aileron servos, and the motor hangs in the water - obviously not a good thing, but apparently I waterproofed it well enough since it keeps going after drying it out.

So first I tried setting it up under the fuse on a pylon, but there was the prop in the way. So I designed a pylon I could fit into the wing, but I figured after repeated use the foam would kind of relax a bit and I'd risk losing the camera in flight. Solution? A little loop of wire over the top of the pylon, and the slot extending all the way through the wing so I can slide a small piece of plastic to secure it on the top of the wing.

Waterproof, removable, and cheap to do (a scrap of balsa bloc, about 4cm of wire, some CA). I'd say mission accomplished! Oh and the bonus: when the camera's on the wing, you don't get nearly as much vibration as you would from under the nose.

Hope this inspires other people!
Goeland86 is offline Find More Posts by Goeland86
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:22 AM
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
And a sample video from the aforementioned installation:
Neuchatel in summer from the skies (7 min 57 sec)
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:53 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goeland86 View Post
And a sample video from the aforementioned installation: http://youtu.be/tqDNd-V61yQ
Goeland86,

thanks for sharing. Nice location, but video quality poor for 2012. You could make some super recordings with the 808 #16 V2 medium wide angle ("red lens") keychain camera. It will cost you $25 more than your current $7 cam, but the quality is another world.

Happy landings!
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Aug 23, 2012, 08:15 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
...Would you elaborate on the FPV equipment you are trying to carry with your MiniMag?....
Gus,

Simple FPV equipment is not that heavy. A basic HK 200mW transmitter + camera + wires weigh around 40 gr. Add a pan servo, and you're around 50gr. This gear will run off the normal LiPo along with the motor.

My (non-FPV) brushless Minimag AUW is 430gr, so there is still a long way to the norm weight of 580 gr.
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
That's remarkable Mike, I think my MM is around 650g AUW with a 2S 2200mAh, but I have the Multiplex floats on. That and my servos are not the lightest on the market, but they are waterproof (not advertised, found that out by accident, it was a lucky surprise )
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:19 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
Goeland86,

thanks for sharing. Nice location, but video quality poor for 2012. You could make some super recordings with the 808 #16 V2 medium wide angle ("red lens") keychain camera. It will cost you $25 more than your current $7 cam, but the quality is another world.

Happy landings!
do you have a link to this camera? Thanks
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:10 AM
Clintonville, WI
Joined Jun 2008
273 Posts
Is the MiniMag a thing of the past? I tried to buy one for my Grandson and found they are no longer available from Tower Hobbies. It would be a shame, since I think the MM is the greatest plane Multiplex has offerred, after the FunCub.
blinske is offline Find More Posts by blinske
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:13 AM
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
blinske, I don't know why TH doesn't have it anymore, but I know it's still being made & sold out here in Europe. Try looking at other dealers for Multiplex on their US website.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 08:50 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
I believe it's discontinued in the RR form, but you might be able to buy parts for it. It's a great plane for sure.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:13 AM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
937 Posts
Hi all,

I've got a Minimag that I bought ages ago and upgraded to brushless (nice and powerful 250W setup ). However it never flew that great under full power - it did self induced loops! I put it at the back of the garage to get around to adding a bit of down thrust to try and correct its bad tendencies.

Now I've just come across that the wing incidence isn't setup for high-powered flight and there is a 'Velcro Fix'. Is it correct that I just need to cut a small chunk of velcro and stick it on the back of the wing + fuselage to fix my woes?

Are there any pictures about that show what the recommended setup is? I.E. how big a piece of velcro should I use and where exactly should I put it.

Cheers,
Si.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:18 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
before modding the wing check your motor and motor mount. self induced loops are either your elevator not trimmed right, your CG is off, or your motor isn't set correctly. I put a brushless set up on mine and had to go down and to the right before I could get a good straight flight. Check on those things. On the wings, it's just a matter of one strip, about the size of a quarter.