Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:03 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jul 2012
401 Posts
You had to add that little comment at the end ?
Sneaky
BrendanH is offline Find More Posts by BrendanH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Good week!
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:30 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Children nowadays!
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:10 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jul 2012
401 Posts
I couldn't help myself
BrendanH is offline Find More Posts by BrendanH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Good week!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,746 Posts
So what trainer do you have? No one is trying to "piss you off." These forums are full of newbies like you who ask for and then don't take advice. I have been flying RC for some time now and have countless hours on a sim and don't think I am ready to fly a jet. I fly 6 channel warbirds no problem, and can fly high wing trainers with my eyes closed, and I just don't think I am ready for a jet. Wheneve ANY newbie comes in wanting a jet as his first plane, we always answer the same way, that is to shelve it and get a trainer and learn on that first. Most of the time we get ignored and the plane ends up a pile of trash. We are trying to help you start out in this great hobby, not get frustrated and give up. It doesn't matter how much sim time you have, it is NOT the same as flying in the real world no matter what anyone says. Don't let your ego get in the way. Take our advice, you will someday be glad you did.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:53 PM
Jamal
Canada, PE, Charlottetown
Joined Aug 2012
206 Posts
I never even used a sim, so I don`t even know where you people are getting this from, and it would not be my first. I was wondering if there was any type of easy to fly jet that I could start with, but you guys are just giving me links to trainers.
RCJamal is offline Find More Posts by RCJamal
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:43 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
Joined Dec 2003
1,648 Posts
There are magic moments in every RC Pilots life. For me the magic moment happens when I forget that I have a transmitter and sticks and the airplane does what I want as if by magic. It is when you automatically know what to do no matter what the environment does to your airplane. You do it by instinct rather than by contemplation.

For me this is happening more often these days. When it happens all the time then I will be ready for a Jet.
BGR is online now Find More Posts by BGR
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:59 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
There are magic moments in every RC Pilots life. For me the magic moment happens when I forget that I have a transmitter and sticks and the airplane does what I want as if by magic. It is when you automatically know what to do no matter what the environment does to your airplane. You do it by instinct rather than by contemplation.

For me this is happening more often these days. When it happens all the time then I will be ready for a Jet.
This is pretty well stated, I think.
I'm a fairly intermediate pilot (and I may have hit my plateau ) but I will say that after a year or so of flying constantly, it started to feel the way you describe. When flying any kind of relatively advanced model (like 99% of EDF jets) you just don't have the luxury of "thinking" about how to move the sticks. It has to be hard wired...and that only comes with lots of flight time.

I still have moments, where I catch myself thinking about the sticks and I momentarily scare myself...but these are rarer and rarer and my planes tend to live long, happy lives If I can learn to do this, anyone can.

So of the dozen or so jets that I have owned, I think the old Starmax F-18 64mm EPS foam jet was the most forgiving and easiest to fly. It's not a beginner's plane since it had no self correcting tendencies that trainers need, and no "emergency punch-out" thrust (as few EDFs ever do) but it flew pretty slowly without stalling and glided beautifully. I bought it from Hobby Lobby in 2008...not sure if you can even find these anymore.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:07 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,923 Posts
BTW, some people pick this up faster than others...I think my learning curve was fairly average.

....and a long curve before becoming a confident pilot shouldn't discourage anyone. The satisfaction that comes from learning how to fly and trying new maneuvers, new kinds of planes, etc. is a ton of fun. Flying models is great because it IS challenging...not inspite of it.

Some of my favorite days at the flying field were when I totally sucked at flying.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Apr 2011
4,746 Posts
Ok, the problem with your entire post, is that you don't give us any type of information regarding your experience. All you say is it isn't my first, but your subsequent posts list your failures, not successes. In order for you to get solid advice, we need to know what PRACTICAL RC aviation experience you have. Having a jet that never got off the ground is NOT experience. Bottom line is.................do you know how to fly an RC plane or not? If you have never had an RC plane in the air for at least 5 minutes and then landed it, then you don't know how to fly and getting an RC EDF jet is a dumb idea. That's why everyone is pointing you at trainers. I can't see why you won't admit you can or can't fly? Please don't let your ego get in the way and take these sage people's advice.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Closed Thread