HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2012, 01:47 AM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I have a question, I am not interested in speed, I want to fly in nearly full stall the entire time. Or float it around. I guess similar to an indoor 3D bird, or an F3P bird.

Hi, Jim
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:00 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNDALE AIR FOR View Post
I have a question, I am not interested in speed, I want to fly in nearly full stall the entire time. Or float it around. I guess similar to an indoor 3D bird, or an F3P bird.

Hi, Jim
What's the question? Will the Beast do it? It will do harriers with some wing-wag, but not too much with AS3X.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:14 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
It can fly slow but the Beast is not a F3P ship, that extra wing has lots of drag so that is a factor. Not to say that it can't do somewhat slow but naturally a biplane has to fly faster in level flight to overcome the drag of the extra flight. I know there are purpose built F3P biplanes that have very light wingloading that do that just fine but this little Beast cannot fly as slow as those ships. It does have a very wide flight envelope as far as speed goes.

One of the problems I have had continually is depth perception regarding my planes. I just watched a video regarding the blue sky rule which was nice! However last night I was flying in my backyard and turn right into the tallest tree in the area. My poor best was easily 100 foot up or more. I was able to eventually get it down but alternating full throttle and rapidly moving the control surfaces. It came down straight on the nose and it broke the nose right off in back of the motor. Got her all fixed up for the most part with some foam tac, need to order another set of ICU's pants as I lost one of the wheel pants in the tree somewhere! Man that was a blow to my confidence!

Any tips for depth perception?
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:16 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I'm using the 2300kv with 5043. It's quiet and really, really fast! It would be interesting to compare, but I don't think my neighbors would appreciate that 3000kv'er screaming on 3S!

It's fast enough that I'm feeling the need for expo when flying flat-out. I never fly with expo, but it becomes very "darty".
I did a performance comparison between the 2300kv 5043 and 3000kv 5030 a little while back. Bottom line that on an identical 5 min flight routine the mAh back was only 2 mAh different. For all intents and purposes that's the same. and in summary the 2300kv+5043 had slightly better top end while the 3000kv+5030 had less speed bleed off in maneuvers/better thrust. Also it was a little easier to hover with less adverse torque on the finer pitch prop.

On 3S I'm almost never flying it wide open. Usually around 1/3-1/2 with short bursts for vertical. Well sometimes long vertical bursts . I think that 3S should come with a complimentary space suit!

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Jul 19, 2012, 02:14 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Jim,

To give you an idea of how it flies indoors, here's a clip of me flying the Beast 3D at our club's winter flying spot. As others have noted - it's not an FP3 ship by any means. However, flying high-alpha KE & flying post-stall circuits on the rudder are easy:

Having fun with the Beast 3D indoors (13 min 40 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:42 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
United States, OR, Beavercreek
Joined Jan 2004
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Stuart,

I think you will be very pleasantly surprised.
The Beast can be flown mild or wild.
She has an amazing flight envelope!
Lots of drag for an ultra-micro.
No dead stick landings.
Keep that prop spinning all the way in.
She slows down beautifully for spot landings.

rc
ok, you were right, I just flew the plane for the first time just a few minutes ago, with the dog safely locked in the house and the wind gusting to 10mph or so, I couldn't believe how stable it was, wow!

it is pretty beat up from what my nephew did to it, so I'll order another "kit" and rebuild it, maybe tone down the control surfaces a little bit to suit my flying tastes, but just as it sits now, I really like flying it
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Old Jul 19, 2012, 03:48 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Jim,

To give you an idea of how it flies indoors, here's a clip of me flying the Beast 3D at our club's winter flying spot. As others have noted - it's not an FP3 ship by any means. However, flying high-alpha KE & flying post-stall circuits on the rudder are easy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVfEQ57y5f4

Joel

Joel,
A really fun video! Love your KEs, stall turns, and low, close-in work. Really fun! And you give me ideas of some things to try with my new Lil 3D Beastie. We don't have an indoor facility like yours around here, but I can certainly try 'em outside on dawn patrol when there's no wind...or in a light breeze. Thanks for the inspiration!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Jul 19, 2012, 04:01 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr View Post
Joel,
A really fun video! Love your KEs, stall turns, and low, close-in work. Really fun! And you give me ideas of some things to try with my new Lil 3D Beastie. We don't have an indoor facility like yours around here, but I can certainly try 'em outside on dawn patrol when there's no wind...or in a light breeze. Thanks for the inspiration!

Tom
The B3D flies quite nicely in 20+mph winds even gusty winds. Work your way up to it. I routinely fly mine in conditions I wouldn't dream of flying even my largest planes in.

-Brian
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:03 PM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
744 Posts
Quote:
Joel,

Tom
I take mine out to the parking lot at work, on windy days I just blast it around but on really calm days I love flying high alpha and just ruddering it around, sometimes taking it for a walk like a dog, and also I play a game I call "touch the tail" where I get it real slow in high alpha and throttle down just enough so the tail wheel drags. I do this on the Edge 540 profile plane at the field as well, really good practice for high alpha flight at low altitude. Once you master it you can literally land the plane at any point you want, just bring it in high alpha and plop it down.

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:27 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Thanks guys, I will continue to ponder the beast. This is what I ended up picking up, http://www.nitroplanes.com/02a-015-a...epron-kit.html .
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:08 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,493 Posts
Quote:
Joel,

Tom
Tom,

Thanks! I love the plane. Here are some more clips of me flying in various conditions:

Here's some close-in flying in my backyard. I'm flying with the 2300KV Beast V1 motor & GWS 5043 prop on a Hyp 180 3s Babbelbatt. At 1:05, I lightly kiss one of my pine trees with the bottom of the wing in a steep turn:

UMX Beast 3D on 3s - having some fun in the yard - HD (3 min 54 sec)

As Brian noted - it also flies very well in higher winds. Here are a few clips of me flying in winds that would ground most giant-scale ships.

Stock B3D w/GWS 5030 & Hyp 240 mAh pack in a 19 MPH wind:

UMX Beast 3D in an 8-19 MPH wind (8 min 53 sec)

Beast 3D w/2300KV Beast V1 motor & GWS 5043 prop on 3s in a 26 MPH wind:

Eflite UMX Beast 3D on 3s - in a 26 MPH wind! Stationary aerobatics, elevator landings, etc. (9 min 30 sec)

Eflite UMX Beast 3D on 3s - in a 26 MPH wind! Stationary KE, elevator landings, etc (8 min 10 sec)

More fun on 3s in a 19 MPH wind:

Eflite UMX Beast 3D - having fun in the wind on 3s! (11 min 33 sec)

Surfing a 23 MPH wind on 3s:

Eflite Beast 3D on 12.6V in a 11-23 MPH wind (6 min 54 sec)

Eflite Beast 3D on 12.6V in a 11-23 MPH wind - part 2 (6 min 0 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:43 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
United States, OR, Beavercreek
Joined Jan 2004
1,966 Posts
I'm going to order some parts for my beast but noticed that there's a couple of different part numbers for the wing set

EFLU4859 beast 3D
EFLU4059 Beast

I'm guessing that the 4059 part number is just an older wing set? is there any difference between the two?
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Old Jul 19, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Aug 2011
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Tom,

Thanks! I love the plane. Here are some more clips of me flying in various conditions:

Here's some close-in flying in my backyard. I'm flying with the 2300KV Beast V1 motor & GWS 5043 prop on a Hyp 180 3s Babbelbatt. At 1:05, I lightly kiss one of my pine trees with the bottom of the wing in a steep turn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeeD2O_v06k

As Brian noted - it also flies very well in higher winds. Here are a few clips of me flying in winds that would ground most giant-scale ships.

Stock B3D w/GWS 5030 & Hyp 240 mAh pack in a 19 MPH wind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqg4tG-JI2Q

Beast 3D w/2300KV Beast V1 motor & GWS 5043 prop on 3s in a 26 MPH wind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjSFvTGqWaM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OJyqOZKHEU

More fun on 3s in a 19 MPH wind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZUpHbrRtMk

Surfing a 23 MPH wind on 3s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhHYzLxGY8I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnrwvhj-IiM

Joel

Joel,
Thanks for posting this treasure trove of B3D wind-conquering videos! I'd seen almost all of them when you originally posted them, but it's cool to have them all in one place for everyone to reference and enjoy.

I'm no stranger to flying in wind. I Love playing in it with my Radian, Sukhoi XP, old Typhoon 2, park flyers T-28, Corsair and F4 Wildcat, and even my souped up "Hot Rod" Champ and original Hobbyzone Super Cub.

I've shied away from wind with my V1 Beast mainly in honor of Brian...and the fact that this version is no longer available. I don't take too many risks with her. Have done alot, though, since I took your advice and got 2 Hyp 180 packs from RC Babbel. They really woke her up and I love harriering and hovering and doing other fun aerobatics...from a safe altitude (except for low passes which are beautiful to see!) She's never crashed and still looks great. :

But now the B3D will give me the opportunity to try what you and others are doing...much lower...without worrying about her. Thanks for the information and inspiration!
Tom
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:05 PM
Joined Aug 2011
831 Posts
Thanks also to Brian and Tom!

I "touch the tail" all the time on my Phoenix flight sim. Working on it has greatly improved my skills. Can do some of that with my old Typhoon 2 which flys alot like the sim's Max 3d...just not as large so not as floaty. Now I'll try it with the Lil B3D.

Hope they come out with the much anticipated park flyer size version next year. I'm thinking that will really be something! ' drool!

Tom
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:36 PM
Parkzone junkie
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Linfoot View Post
I'm going to order some parts for my beast but noticed that there's a couple of different part numbers for the wing set

EFLU4859 beast 3D
EFLU4059 Beast

I'm guessing that the 4059 part number is just an older wing set? is there any difference between the two?
Yeah the Beast set is has gold trim and the 3D set has silver trim
-Brian