SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by pricelessppp, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 23, 2015, 10:58 PM
Find More Posts by pricelessppp
Joined Apr 2014
75 Posts
Poll
DVD/BluRay or digital download of of Amazon instant video or Itunes?

DVD/BluRay or digital download of of Amazon instant video or Itunes?Is Amazon and Itunes a safe investment for a permanent video collection and do i own the content i bought from Amazon instant video or Itunes?I am a little nervous they would remove the videos form my Amazon instant video collection and Itunes collection.Is it a safer bet to still get DVDs/BluRay videos and how many years until they stop selling DVDs/BluRay and companys would go full digital?
pricelessppp is online now Find More Posts by pricelessppp
Old May 24, 2015, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,758 Posts
You don't own any of the content purchased on Amazon or Itunes, or technically even on physical media. You're purchasing a license to view it.
Ira NZ is online now Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Old May 24, 2015, 05:56 PM
Find More Posts by pricelessppp
Joined Apr 2014
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira NZ View Post
You don't own any of the content purchased on Amazon or Itunes, or technically even on physical media. You're purchasing a license to view it.
Is it still safer to buy physical movie/tv show disc instead?
pricelessppp is online now Find More Posts by pricelessppp
Old May 24, 2015, 06:14 PM
Find More Posts by CrashnBurn420
Joined Dec 2012
202 Posts
As long as iTunes is around you'll have access to whatever you buy. I like doing digital rentals, we rent a lot of movies through the Xbox one. If it's a movie you want to purchase, imo it's better to buy a physical copy. There is software that can rip it into a digital format if that's what you're after.
CrashnBurn420 is offline Find More Posts by CrashnBurn420
Old May 24, 2015, 10:18 PM
Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Bombs away! Err...landing
Upper Hutt, New Zealand
Joined Apr 2006
2,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pricelessppp View Post
Is it still safer to buy physical movie/tv show disc instead?
Hard to say, how long are you expecting to want to keep them?

Blueray disks would start degrading and becoming unusable in about 20 years. They'll probably be a few generations behind at that point, it won't be that much longer than that you'll have a hard time finding gear to watch them.

Do you think Amazon or Itunes will be around in 20 years? I don't know, I'm inclined to say not.

I think, if you want a permanent collection, your best bet is to rip onto a hard drive. Take multiple backups. As time goes on the cost of storage space keeps getting cheaper anyway, we're probably already at the point where the cost of storage space for an entire library of movies is trivially small.

Then your only limit on lifespan is the encoding standard dropping out of use, this can be circumvented by occasionally re-encoding all of them to a more recent one. Every 10 years should be good enough. Increases in processing power will likely make this also a relatively trivial process. You can keep the old versions just in case of any issues.

Now, if data storage switches to quantum entanglement cloud storage in 2150, there should be a period of time when there are easily available tools to convert the two, but don't wait too long.
Ira NZ is online now Find More Posts by Ira NZ
Last edited by Ira NZ; May 24, 2015 at 10:25 PM.