SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 25, 2015, 08:33 AM
Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,135 Posts
I built that Klingberg Wing about 25 years ago and tried flying it with a Cox Black widow .049 but could never get consistent engine runs so I decided to hang it up before I wrecked it. Then along came lipos and outrunners so I dusted it off, removed the .049 and installed a small AXI outrunner running on 3s and added a folding prop as well. Plus I lightened it by removing that old sliding tray system in there for elevons and used my DX8 to mix the controls. Now I just toss it and then hit the throttle and away she goes. Flies great, but doesn't thermal very well.
Of all the contraptions I fly, I think the flying hydro gets the most surprise out of people, especially on the water. I'll run it around for a few minutes until people look like they are getting bored with it then punch it and take off and fly it around. Most people are shocked to see it fly. . Can't wait till my canopy comes. I'm really wanting to fly my Sky Surfer again. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2015, 07:37 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,135 Posts
Sky Surfer is all fixed up and ready for the new wing, which should be here in a week or two. I split the gondola by removing all the screws and removed the receiver/speed controller and on / off switch and installed a Spektrum AR6100 receiver and a Castle Creations Sprite 25 brushed controller. While I had it apart, I oiled the bushings and end bells on the brushed motor. Made a new lite ply floor to mount the pilot onto and Velcroed the receiver underneath that. I screwed it all back together and just tried it with an old (pre balance taps) 2s lipo I had lying around and it has oodles of power, so I just ordered a new 2s 1800 lipo from Heads Up RC in Florida and am anxiously awaiting the sail to arrive. Oh, and I added new rear tires as well mounting bigger foam tires on the existing rims. Tom
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:31 PM
Find More Posts by beladog
I Crash Therefore I Buy
United States, CA, Del Mar
Joined Oct 2008
1,041 Posts
Oh man, I can't wait to see it! You must me twitching with excitement.
Did you reuse the gear reduction or go direct drive? I just love it when guys get creative and mod their stuff. Please post some pics if you get a chance.

Good job!
beladog is offline Find More Posts by beladog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Cell alarm/checker modification
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:51 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,135 Posts
I left the original motor and gearbox in there. There was absolutely no gear wear or slop and on an old 2s lipo it had loads of power so I think it will be just fine. I only flew it a few times when I lived in Florida and from the looks of it, the guy I bought it from only flew it a few times as well. It was fun trying to figure out how to disassemble it, especially getting the prop shroud off, but after a few minutes I had it figured out. No pictures though. I didn't think anyone was still interested in this old school setup.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:14 AM
I Crash Therefore I Buy
Joined Oct 2008
1,041 Posts
You will be surprised what a difference lipo power will make.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2015, 07:39 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,135 Posts
I already was surprised. This old 2s Thunder Power lipo is at least 9 years old yet it spun that stock setup with authority. I am sure my new 30c 2s 1800 pack will do even better. I am going to stick with the original prop as well. Why mess with a good thing. Anyone remember the size of the original packs for the Sky Surfer. I believe it was a 9 cell, but not sure of the capacity. This shot was taken back in 2005 in Florida. Tom
Old Mar 31, 2015, 01:04 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,135 Posts
Beladog

My new sail arrived from the UK and so did my 2s lipo from Heads Up RC. There is a red and green set of lines on both sides of the sail, so which lines are A and which ones are B . Looking closer, the green are attached to the front and those lines have a small metal clip for attaching them to the gondola. The red ones, which are on the trailing edge, have an additional long piece of plastic on the ends attached to the bridles and it appears those are the ones going to the steering servo. Makes sense that the trailing edge would be pulled down to affect a turn. So, I think I just answered my own question, but your input would put my mind to ease. Remember, it has been 8 years since this thing last flew. Also, I see the foam ribs have the holes punched in them. I still have part of the old spar, but do remember cutting up ones piece, mine was 3 pieces long, and using it for something else, never figuring on flying this thing again. How long is your spar, for want of another word, and what material do you use. Mine was just pieces of plastic tubing with thin music wire slid inside, for rigidity I guess. Tom
Old Mar 31, 2015, 06:03 PM
I Crash Therefore I Buy
Joined Oct 2008
1,041 Posts
Hmm. I don't remember how long the spar is. There should be enough length to pull slightly taunt and create a slight arch. You could use fiberglass or carbon kite rod. The fiberglass is slightly heavier but flexes much better.
Your all set for the bridles. Should be self explanatory. Please post some pics of that foil when you get a chance.

Good job

Jake
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2015, 06:23 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,135 Posts
Well I just lucked out. Went into the garage where I remembered seeing two of the 3 pieces of the wing spar and picked them right up. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted the third piece. I am good to go now. The foil looks pretty much like my old one did but seems to be a bit more shiny. Kinda like a chrome mylar balloon with red and blue markings on it. It still has the foam ribs in it to keep it's airfoil shape, just like the old one had. My 2s 1800 mah LiPo fits perfectly in the battery box. I just might give it a try tomorrow evening if the winds are light. Tom
Old Apr 01, 2015, 05:06 PM
Find More Posts by Mr Oldflyer
Joined Jan 2015
7 Posts
Really glad that Ebay sail I recommended arrived so quickly. You are going to enjoy the Skysurfer. I love mine!
Mr Oldflyer is offline Find More Posts by Mr Oldflyer
Old Apr 02, 2015, 11:19 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,135 Posts
I had to shorten my old wing spar by about 1.75" for it to fit between the two outer end ribs. No big deal, but now I noticed that the front shroud lines have a much longer plastic piece that attaches to the steering servo. My old stock grey plastic ones are about 2" shorter than these new ones that came on the sail. Which ones should I use? Tom
Old Apr 02, 2015, 01:07 PM
Find More Posts by Mr Oldflyer
Joined Jan 2015
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith View Post
I had to shorten my old wing spar by about 1.75" for it to fit between the two outer end ribs. No big deal, but now I noticed that the front shroud lines have a much longer plastic piece that attaches to the steering servo. My old stock grey plastic ones are about 2" shorter than these new ones that came on the sail. Which ones should I use? Tom
I would personally stick with the ones supplied with the new sail. I use one of those sails myself on my own Skysurfer and the plastic pieces supplied with those sails work perfectly for me.

See photo attached of mine flying with the same sail from Ebay....

Mr Oldflyer is offline Find More Posts by Mr Oldflyer
Old Apr 02, 2015, 01:25 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,135 Posts
Thanks, that was what I was thinking. This sail is a tad bit narrower than my original and I am assuming they made those new plastic extension to coincide with the way the front lines attach to the gondola. The original shorter ones would have the wing at such a negative pitch I doubt it would even fly. I'll do as you did and use what came with the new sail. Thanks again. Tom
Old Apr 09, 2015, 06:52 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,135 Posts
To range test or not to range test! That is the question????

Took a ride to the flying field after dinner last night and was really looking forward to getting my old Sky Surfer airborne. Before attaching the sail to the gondola I did a range test. Good thing I did. I walked out the prescribed 90' and hit the trainer button on my DX8 while in range test mode and nuttin. I kept walking towards the gondola and finally, at about 20', it started to respond. Needless to say, there was no flying last evening. Came home and tried it again in my driveway with the same results. All I could get was 20' before it stopped picking up my signals. I went upstairs and got another receiver and installed it in the gondola and now I can get over 90' and it still has signal. So, maybe tomorrow I can get a test flight on this old girl. Moral to the story, no matter how sure you are of your equipment, a range check can really save you some headaches. I'll keep ya posted. tom
Old Apr 09, 2015, 08:56 PM
I Crash Therefore I Buy
Joined Oct 2008
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith View Post
moral to the story, no matter how sure you are of your equipment, a range check can really save you some headaches. I'll keep ya posted. tom
Wise words from a wise friend. I'm gonna check All my radios monăna.
Thanks!
RCG Plus Member