This thread is privately moderated by Sofa King, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Aug 28, 2010, 08:29 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

balsa usa smoothie

well its done.....alot of carving on this old kit....i took it out for the maiden flight today....i had a little trouble with the engine tuning and the tail wheel....so i didnt take a chance flying as it seemed the airplane gods were telling me to wait....i took a few pics anyways....

the pilot turns with the rudder....os 40 engine....10x4 prop...reshaped the tail a little from the plans....port accents from walmart auto dept added to help airflow around the engine..

anyway i think it turned out good and hope to fly it soon and return it to the house in one piece
Last edited by Sofa King; Aug 28, 2010 at 08:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2010, 12:06 AM
3d NOOBular

nice job!

Your plane makes mine look like white trash! lol
Aug 29, 2010, 12:38 AM
Thread OP
i'm sorry...and thanks?.....post up a picture here and lets have a look at it.
Aug 29, 2010, 10:05 AM
3d NOOBular
Name: IMGP1086.jpg
Views: 172
Size: 109.9 KB
Description: This is me with my Greatplanes 40 size CAP 232.  There is no cowl or canopy.  This is my first plane that I bought wrecked.
I am just getting into the hobby with this plane. I have managed to wreck it several times already. My last rebuild included a new firewall and lots of epoxy. I am getting more comfortable now and crashing.... much less

I thought I would get better at flying before I worried about making a cowl or canopy for it. The parts are no longer available from Greatplanes.
Aug 29, 2010, 11:33 AM
Thread OP
hey...its not as bad as you let on.....i can see why it may be crashing....in the pic there is a wire sticking out between the wing and the fuse......i'll bet that was just this one time for the picture?.......really its not bad at all.....good luck with your flying and if i can be of any help just let me know....this is a great forum and some very knowledgeable rc'ers here....
Aug 29, 2010, 03:39 PM
3d NOOBular
I actually noticed the aileron servo wire sticking out there as I was tuning the engine. I fixed it before flying. This last time I didn't crash... Actually the only times the plane has crashed has been when it went deadstick. I have been practicing deadstick landings with the CAP on Realflight but I haven't needed it any in the past several flights as my motor has been running a lot better.

I really like the forum a lot I have been spending a lot of time on here over the past few weeks and have learned a ton.

Now that I am getting the crashing issues under control I am planning to finish off the plane a little better. Have any ideas on making a cowl and canopy?
Aug 29, 2010, 05:30 PM
Thread OP
http://www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com/default.htm for the cowl......canopy can be made with a heat gun and a 2L soda bottle
Aug 29, 2010, 11:21 PM
3d NOOBular
cool... thanks for the link. I found the part for the cowl on their site.
Oct 13, 2010, 06:33 AM
Thread OP
i changed the engine to a OS .46...11x6 prop.........this plane flys very "smooth".....i have in mind next to speed it up a little with a 10x10 prop.....i'll post the outcome as soon as we get another good flying day
Aug 14, 2011, 11:09 AM
Thread OP
full speed into the ground today....RIP.....i think the rx battery came loose in the plane during some rolls.....lost all radio signal? sraight into the ground at full throttle.....total loss.
Aug 14, 2011, 11:54 AM
3d NOOBular
sad day Sofa King. I've been through a few of those since the last time I saw some action on this thread. I hope you are able to at least recover a few things from the wreckage. What does the motor look like?

Quick Reply