Old Jun 18, 2003, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by RMason
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Discussion
Converting Coverite's Art Chester Jeep

I just picked up an old Henry Haffke designed Jeep kitted by Coverite.

52" span, 500 sq.in., and 4-6 lbs, .40 slimer engine power.

I'm thinking of the AXI outrunner for power. Any suggestions on power systems?

I'll be doing a little swiss-cheesing on the heavier sheet balsa to lighten it a little, but it is fairly light as it is. Weight all framed up with pushrods installed is 3lbs. I'll be able to probably get 1/2 lb off of it , but scale details will get it back to 3lbs.

I think this will make a good conversion project. There is plenty of room inside for battery placement.

Rob
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2003, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by RMason
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Side view
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
Old Jun 18, 2003, 03:17 PM
Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,786 Posts
I've got the same kit stashed away. I'm thinking 500 watts and a 12" prop- it's a racer- don't want it to fly too slow. You might get away with an AF 25G along with a 16-18 cell pack of 4/5F AUPs. An Axi will be a bit lighter- not sure it's any more efficient really. Li-poly is going to be a bank breaker at this point still...
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Jun 18, 2003, 04:07 PM
Find More Posts by Mark Haigh
Barnsley, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Dec 2000
668 Posts
I half completed the same conversion (an old kit of my dads). Got to the same stage (built airframe and lost interested. Initially thought of a Speed 700 Neodym geared 2:1 on 14 cells. Probably now would go for a Jeti 45 on 14, with a 11x8 prop.

Good luck with the conversion. Just dont use Coverite to cover the airframe
Mark Haigh is offline Find More Posts by Mark Haigh
Old Jun 19, 2003, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by Dereck
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Nice conversion. Have had urges that way since I owned a kit back in England - for about three beers. Bought it and sold in it one night in a bar located bring and buy !

Yes, there is a lot of wood, but the shape is really cool and being a racer, all it has to do is go fast, do vertical turns without sliding into the deck and maybe throw a roll. Hovering - yeah

Idle thought on the shape. When I first got into CAD, I started by taking a basic shoulder wing one-piece sports model I'd designed and converted it to look like the Jeep. Despite having all the same 'numbers' as a proven and reliable flying model, it was a real cat until I upped the stab area by a hefty amount, thus stopping it digging holes in all the wrong places and biting the hand that fed it.

I'm sure a Henry Hafke design like this should be sorted, but I'd make sure that the CG is at least where it says, if not a tadger forward.

If anyone is feeling drooly - Spirit of Yesteryear took this kit, and its sister GeeBee D and E kits, over and are presently reworking them from die-crunched to laser cut.

I'd go something like a MaxCim 13D, gearing around 5:1, 14" prop and 14 regular round jugs, or whatever that translates to in LiPo gold Must be a geared Mega somewhere in their legions of motors too, but those AXIs are surprising little beggars.

Rgds

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Oct 24, 2005, 11:16 PM
Find More Posts by Kuni
Dresden, Germany, europe, planet earth
Joined Aug 2003
835 Posts
Hi,
did anyone fly her in the meantime? Im interested in this bird, and would like to hear how it flies.

Thanks,
Kuni
Kuni is offline Find More Posts by Kuni
Old Oct 25, 2005, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megowcoupe
I've got the same kit stashed away. I'm thinking 500 watts and a 12" prop- it's a racer- don't want it to fly too slow. You might get away with an AF 25G along with a 16-18 cell pack of 4/5F AUPs. An Axi will be a bit lighter- not sure it's any more efficient really. Li-poly is going to be a bank breaker at this point still...
I have Dynaflite Funscale .40 size P51 and P40 kits, plan to use geared AF25 and 16 cell pack of 1950AUP Nimh cells. Should work for the Jeep too. I have the Coverite Gee Bee E model, glow .40 powered. Construction of Fuselage is way over-built for electrics. Should be lots of opportunity for lightening. Keep the fuselage aft of cg as light as possible and you won't have to worry about countering tail heaviness as much. If you go with lipos, you may have to mount the pack over or under the motor/geardrive and move servos etc as far forward as possible. Good luck with the project!!
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Oct 25, 2005, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by Kuni
Dresden, Germany, europe, planet earth
Joined Aug 2003
835 Posts
E-challenged,
no, its no project at this stage, I simply like the bird, and would like to know how it flies electric.

Kuni
Kuni is offline Find More Posts by Kuni
Old Dec 23, 2005, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by gunsguns
Vienna
Joined Oct 2004
103 Posts
Hi Jeep Fans,

have mine ready for first flight. Scratch built from ply and
balsa, scale outline according a drawing, shape and location of formers and stringers are also scale.
Wingspan is 100 cm, weight is some heavy 1,7 kg. Power Plant is an AXI 2820/10 fed from 3 Lipo cells 3,2 Ah. Now I
wait for better weather condition for first flight, hopefully in
January....

Merry Christmas,
Andi
gunsguns is offline Find More Posts by gunsguns
Old Dec 23, 2005, 02:17 PM
Joined Oct 2000
12,615 Posts
Megowcoupe

Same setup I chose for my as yet unbuilt Dynaflite Funscale .40 size P-40 and P51 kits. Have Pasquito mount. Might also try it in my old Coverite Gee Bee Model E Sportster.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 06:42 AM
Find More Posts by barzini
United States, NY, Valley Cottage
Joined Sep 2004
76 Posts
Chester jeep

Guns Guns,
Nice job, What did you cover it with?
Barzini
barzini is offline Find More Posts by barzini
Old Feb 15, 2008, 11:55 AM
Joined Oct 2000
12,615 Posts
Oops, sorry, had posted same thing previously.
Last edited by E-Challenged; Feb 15, 2008 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Posted by Mistake
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:28 PM
Vienna
Joined Oct 2004
103 Posts
Hi,

covering is white ORACOVER.
Cowling is painted white, since ORACOVER matches the RAL code there is no difference.
The big one with a span 180cm is ready for maiden flight, just waiting for good weather.

Regards,
Andi
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:35 AM
Vienna
Joined Oct 2004
103 Posts
Hi Jeep Fans,

thats the "big brother" of the previous mentioned small version. The small electric driven is a bit heavy, flies fast and is a handful to land. Maybe I build a new one, there is room for weight saving.

Foto shows the big version, span 1,8 m, powered by an RCV 120 SP. Meanwhile it is finished, just waiting for good weather and free time. I made some changes in design, compared to the small scale version:
I increased the elevator a bit, to improve stability.
Gear moved 5mm forward, to eliminate nose over tendencies.
Airfoil NACA 2412 on both versions.
Angle of coincidence is 2,5 degrees on the small version with scale elevator size. Goes very neutral, straight ahead with no tendencies for climb or descend on any power setting. Its fun to fly, he keeps speed even on tight turns.

Changed to 2,2 degrees on the big version with enlarged elevator.
Lets see...
Regards
Andi
Old Feb 20, 2008, 09:38 AM
Joined Oct 2000
12,615 Posts
Anxious to hear how Jeep flies. I have switched my large electric model thinking to using two 2200 3S 20C lipos in series for 22 volts with the Astro 25 geared instead of much heavier 16 round cell pack. I am using this in a 6 foot span Sig Cub which will probably come out to 5 pounds. Current draw with 11x7 prop is only 17 amps at full throttle so it should work well in the Cub.