HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2008, 04:56 PM
Custom CNC machining
Plymouth, UK
Joined May 2006
765 Posts
Discussion
salt water + electronics

Today i tested a hovercraft i made but unfortunately it capsized and my mtor/esc and reciever where all under sea water for about 1 min. I have stripped them down and put them somewhere warm what do u guys think the likleyhood of them ever working again is??
Was a CC phoenix 45 aswell!!
jrubenis is offline Find More Posts by jrubenis
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2008, 05:58 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,349 Posts
What ever you do don't let them dry out with (conductive) salt water still around.

The best thing you can do is wash them out really thoroughly with fresh water....give them a real swilling to get all the salt and other contaminants out....then you can dry them and they'll be good as new.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Aug 11, 2008, 07:56 PM
Wallingford, Ct
Joined Sep 2001
1,894 Posts
Salt water is bad news. Get it into fresh water. Follow up with distilled water. I Would never again trust it in an airplane or a helicopter. I would use it in a hovercraft. It will likely fail someday.
Al M is offline Find More Posts by Al M
Old Aug 12, 2008, 03:31 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,689 Posts
You may or may not have got away with it.

wash in fersh water, then distilled water, and then alcohol..rubbing alcohol or surgical spitrrit.. thenleave to dry fordyas in a warm place.

Then test thoroughly.

I wouldn't be too worried about subsequent unreliability: here, where cats pee on the keyboards, we have done all of the above and the keyboard either works again fine, or its scrap. Two are scrap so far..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1