HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:28 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,337 Posts
Discussion
Herr AT-6

Just finished this little guy up tonight. I didn't post a build thread...but decided to post this up right now as I was clearing the bench for my next major build.

sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:41 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
That's a beautiful model, well done.

Good luck with the maiden!

PS: I did less well with mine (couple of years ago). There's a lot of positive incidence on the main wing in relation to the horizontal stab. That may have been okay on a geared speed 400 motor, but on a modern brushless motor it climed like the original homesick angel under power. Too lazy to strip the covering to correct it, I traded it on.
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:03 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,337 Posts
I will check the incidence...I will probably just shim the wing saddle to fix if its an issue.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:28 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard of odd View Post
There's a lot of positive incidence on the main wing in relation to the horizontal stab.
Thanks for that great piece of info! I just tucked a note inside my unbuilt kit box for when I finally get around to this one.

Joe

Edit: +1 on the amazing job on your bird sirzeppu. That's going to look great in the air.
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:10 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,337 Posts
Just maidened mine. It required very little pitch trim. Flies great. LOVE the power system, it's all cheap HK stuff...but very nice. I could go bigger on the prop, but I think I'll enjoy the long run times with this prop.

I don't exactly remember what I went with...it was one of their SK3 motors, an 18 amp speed controller, and an 8x4 APC prop. Flies really, really nice, I did notice it doesn't like to be slow...I got it too slow in the flare (an inch off the snow, mind you) and it dipped a wing a bit. I added some washout during the covering process, and it may have been uneven...so that may explain that slow speed issue. I'm going to experiment with the slow speed stuff when the weather is more favorable. It flies like it's on rails for everything else. Looks really scale on the aerobatics front, too.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:04 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,337 Posts
Pics from the maiden. I'm definitely building more Herr kits...seriously good bang for the buck. If I had gone with a non-spektrum RX this build would have cost less than $100. Pretty awesome.

Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:38 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Very curious what you use for battery, and where it's located. I built one of these years ago and had no luck with it -- but to be honest, it was probably more plane than I was ready for.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:07 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,337 Posts
I am using an 850mah Turnigy Nanotech (3S).

Battery is mounted right behind the second former.

CG is on the wing spar.

AUW is 16 oz.
Last edited by sirzeppu; Feb 06, 2013 at 08:14 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:45 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirzeppu View Post
I am using an 850mah Turnigy Nanotech (3S).

Battery is mounted right behind the second former.

CG is on the wing spar.

AUW is 16 oz.
Did you do anything to lighten up the back end of the plane, or is it "stock"? Mine ended up a couple oz. heavier than yours, but I recall having to use a bigger battery than I'd have liked. Typical tail-heavy conversion issues, can't get enough weight up front.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,337 Posts
It's totally stock...except for adding the optional rudder. Servos are all up front per the plans, really basic and stock. I was worried about it being tail heavy as well...but it turned out perfect. I did not install landing gear...which may account for the lower weight.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:50 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Well, that's odd. But what the heck. I've been looking for another AT-6 kit for a long time. Though the Herr kit never flew right, I've had a GWS AT-6 for a couple of years and really enjoy flying it. World Models has an ARF that's kinda interesting.

I had a nearly identical color scheme as yours -- silver fuselage and yellow wings. Never got around to painting the cowl.

BTW, that's some gorgeous flying scenery you've got.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:57 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,337 Posts
Maybe the extra 2 ounces or so was enough to send the wing loading over the precipice? That is strange.

Mine seems to fly great, but did exhibit a wing drop inches off the ground in the flare. I was trying to get it really, really slow for the landing, but pushed it too far. I am really happy with the way it flies...very locked in and smooth. Sorry yours didn't exhibit that same kind of flying characteristic.

EDIT: I can't tell, but did you add the dihedral indicated in the plans? That may account for the difference in flying characteristics...I can't tell if it's there from your picture.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:22 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
It was a long time ago, pretty early in my RC career, when speed still terrified me, and I was prone to stalling planes. This plane has a particularly treacherous stall characteristic. And now that you mention it, I may have built it with less than the full dihedral. Not sure what I was thinking... sometimes I get ahead of myself...