HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:04 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,413 Posts
Man that not good news to me. How about I do the small mod on this one for now?
I did surface the fet's and dab JB weld to secure the heat sink.
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:57 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Man that not good news to me. How about I do the small mod on this one for now?
I did surface the fet's and dab JB weld to secure the heat sink.
How about you just do the big mod if you plan to use more then 4S.

jjmouris is offline Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:29 AM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,413 Posts
Ok, I'll get my ducks in a row and just do it. Uh, can I use the internal bec power for two servos and rx or is a separate bec recomended? After the mod that is.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:40 AM
Joined Dec 2004
750 Posts
External rx battery and bec is very highly recommended.

Just use a 350mah 2s lipo and a cc bec, very low wieght for the both together and very reliable.

Gerben
Gerben is offline Find More Posts by Gerben
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:06 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Ok, I'll get my ducks in a row and just do it. Uh, can I use the internal bec power for two servos and rx or is a separate bec recomended? After the mod that is.
The BEC on the P80/P125/P180 is a linear device, so from 6S (25V) it is dumping 20V into heat for the 5V it provides to the servo's. It's very likely to overheat the ESC with only a small load.

NOT A GOOD IDEA before or after the mod.

In general it is also not a good idea with HP setups since ESC failure is considered likely.

Run a seperate RX pack or if you really want to risk it and trust your main battery pack not to develop an open circuit despite the high loads, just run a seperate switching BEC like the CC BEC from the main pack to power the RX and servo's.

Disconnect the red wire on the ESC servo lead. Just pull it out the plug and tape it back.
jjmouris is offline Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:14 PM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,413 Posts
Thanks guys I wasn't sure if the mod allowed tapping power but I understand. I have been running an external BEC using 5s but not 4s with the two servos. Presently using one in this model not maiden yet. CC125 is only using 2100watts at 108 amps on the 36mm arc motor and apc 7 x 6, I haven't modded the controller yet but for exposed added heat sink The 180 is on the bench at least! What do you think of the possibility of a geared folder on a wing like this? The nose just happened to facilitate nicely
Last edited by ApexAero; Aug 08, 2012 at 10:37 PM.