HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Jun 2005
22 Posts
Rudder on the Aileron stick

I'm finishing the set up for my RES Mystique and had a question about controlling the rudder.

I put the spoilers on the throttle stick and the motor on a slider but I'd rather have my rudder control on the aileron stick. Usually on my rudder/elevator airplanes I just plug the rudder servo into the aileron port of the receiver but several people, on this forum, mentioned mixing the rudder to the aileron. So I thought I would try that instead.

I used the aileron rudder mix on my DX10t (1.08) and adjusted the absolute rudder travel to avoid over driving the rudder servo if I managed to move both the rudder and aileron sticks simultaneously but what I really want to do is assign the rudder function to the aileron stick without a mix. Is that possible?
pgleich is offline Find More Posts by pgleich
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,095 Posts
Sure, pull the servo plug out and move it.
barracudahockey is offline Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM
Always trying to learn
United States, IL, Geneva
Joined Feb 2011
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudahockey View Post
Sure, pull the servo plug out and move it.
+1, or you could use the channel assign menu to re-assign the aileron channel to the rudder port on the Rx.(I'm assuming that the DX10t allows that similarly to the Dx18)
mejmea is offline Find More Posts by mejmea
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM
Joined Jun 2005
22 Posts
Thanks for getting back to me. I usually plug the rudder servo into the aileron when I'm flying rudder and elevator as I noted in my first post but I'm mainly curious if the stick output - as opposed to the receiver port assignment can be changed.

I did re-assign the rudder port to the right aileron (4 servo wing) and that does the trick without having to unplug anything but I'm interested in if it is possible to "change the mode" of the aileron and rudder stick. I would just to learn more about programming the radio.
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM
Always trying to learn
United States, IL, Geneva
Joined Feb 2011
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgleich View Post
Thanks for getting back to me. I usually plug the rudder servo into the aileron when I'm flying rudder and elevator as I noted in my first post but I'm mainly curious if the stick output - as opposed to the receiver port assignment can be changed.

I did re-assign the rudder port to the right aileron (4 servo wing) and that does the trick without having to unplug anything but I'm interested in if it is possible to "change the mode" of the aileron and rudder stick. I would just to learn more about programming the radio.
Ah, I misunderstood, so you want a mode 1.5 Tx . I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that - I don't remember ever reading about it being possible via programming but that doesn't prove it. There are a couple of Dx18 threads that Andy Kunz, the Spektrum programming guru monitors so you might ask there.

Threads are here, and here.
mejmea is offline Find More Posts by mejmea
Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM
Joined Jun 2005
22 Posts
Thanks I appreciate how quickly you both got back to me!
Old Today, 01:02 PM
Sherman Knight
Kirkland Washington
Joined Feb 2002
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgleich View Post
I'm finishing the set up for my RES Mystique and had a question about controlling the rudder.

I put the spoilers on the throttle stick and the motor on a slider but I'd rather have my rudder control on the aileron stick. Usually on my rudder/elevator airplanes I just plug the rudder servo into the aileron port of the receiver but several people, on this forum, mentioned mixing the rudder to the aileron. So I thought I would try that instead.

I used the aileron rudder mix on my DX10t (1.08) and adjusted the absolute rudder travel to avoid over driving the rudder servo if I managed to move both the rudder and aileron sticks simultaneously but what I really want to do is assign the rudder function to the aileron stick without a mix. Is that possible?

Great question and all great answers. All the posted solutions work.

This is only a personal opinion on the topic. I have a lot of planes with different programming requirements. But I try as much as possible to maintain a common method of programing across as many planes as possible. That way if I have to dive into the electronics in a plane for any reason, I know how it is setup without going in and first having to figure out how I installed it and programmed it last year.

At the field I encourage everyone to use the Aileron > Rudder mix function for what you are looking for. That way the programming for my 6 servo plane is the same for my three servo plane when it comes to putting the rudder on the right stick. The base setup and core programing method are the same for both aircraft. (or in my case about 25 aircraft)

For the guy with only a plane or two this wont be a concern.

Good Luck

Sherman Knight
Team Horizon Hobby Sailplane
duworm is online now Find More Posts by duworm
Old Today, 06:34 PM
Joined Jun 2005
22 Posts
Aileron Rudder

Thanks, Sherman, for your thoughts on this issue. What made me uncomfortable about using the Aileron-Rudder mix was that it is a mix... and inadvertent movement of the rudder stick (while adjusting the spoilers for instance) would produce a potentially undesirable mix- move of the rudder. Did I set this up wrong?