HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:20 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,365 Posts
That video cracked me up...

Thanks for posting that, now I have a better Idea that it is in fact an issue with the isolation of the gimball.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'll start my quest this week.

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
I've got the exact same gimbal, the X468 right? When you get success on your quest for nicer video, can you PM me the way you've done it? Cause as you have said the grommets are way too stuff as the GoPro isn't heavy enough to be able to put strain on them. I have tried a whole bunch of different rubber between the gimbal and the camera and this video is the best result I can get.

You can also see at the end how I need to lower the pitch end point as it pitches too high when flying backwards or forward.

http://vimeo.com/49157768
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:41 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
That video cracked me up...

Thanks for posting that, now I have a better Idea that it is in fact an issue with the isolation of the gimball.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'll start my quest this week.

-Mike
Lol if you met Paul you'd see why I used the song!
Teamsherman is online now Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:36 AM
Germany, NRW, Langenfeld
Joined Oct 2011
228 Posts
And still getting full GPS-lock....
Just to illustrate that the GPS unit is not as generally sensitive to 'nearby' electronic devices as I thought.
It's my 'easy-to-build-low-cost'-FPV-copter for training.
ralfrcgroups is offline Find More Posts by ralfrcgroups
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:40 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,554 Posts
Quote:
I used this gimball. It has rubber grommets, but I am going on a quest to find some more pliable rubber.
The grommets that came with it are quite stiff.

I've also got some more things that I am thinking about, but the isolation grommets are first on the list.
I've just moved all my gear from a quad with aluminium box-section arms to a DJI F550 (obviously adding 2 motors in the process ). There's much more vibration ... I suspect due to the slight flex in the arms. I've had all the props off this morning to double-check ... all perfectly in balance. The same motors and props ran turbine-smooth on the quad.

Test pictures (stills) confirmed vibration blurring. I've already got the gimbal on silicone mounts, going to experiment with rubber standoffs to see if they smooth things out any. But if not I'll be looking at a new frame

Shame, because the 550 flies well and has some nice design features.

Incidentally, one thing I've noticed is that the hex is more stable in a fast descent than the quad. I've got a fixed throttle position set up for descending from altitude ... -30% was as far as I could go without the quad starting to wobble. With the hex I've got -40% now (equivalent to 30% throttle), and it's still coming down smoothly.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:10 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
431 Posts
Naza Firmware 2.02 (400 mHz Gimbal output)

Hi,

I searched but couldn't find much info on this. I currently have the previous firmware and it is working for me. I would only be interested in the new fw if the 400 mHz refresh rate makes some difference in the gimbal control.
I am using Futaba s3156 servos for my GoPro gimbal (AeroXcraft). I checked and Futaba lists these servos for 200 mHz refresh rate. Currently I am suing 50 mHz due to fw limitation.
So has anyone out there tested the new fw (2.02) for Gimbal output?
Does going from 50 mHz to 200 mHz make a significant difference?
iskoos is offline Find More Posts by iskoos
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:48 AM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,638 Posts
You'll see a difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskoos View Post
Hi,

I searched but couldn't find much info on this. I currently have the previous firmware and it is working for me. I would only be interested in the new fw if the 400 mHz refresh rate makes some difference in the gimbal control.
I am using Futaba s3156 servos for my GoPro gimbal (AeroXcraft). I checked and Futaba lists these servos for 200 mHz refresh rate. Currently I am suing 50 mHz due to fw limitation.
So has anyone out there tested the new fw (2.02) for Gimbal output?
Does going from 50 mHz to 200 mHz make a significant difference?
I have cheap, analog Hitec servos on my gimbal.
Even with the 50 mHz setting on the new firmware, I get more travel range and some increased smoothness.
I think you have nothing to lose and possibly something to gain by upgrading...
T J Gilbert is online now Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: BMPCC/Z15 Transport
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:47 AM
Orlando, FL
Joined Oct 2004
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
I have cheap, analog Hitec servos on my gimbal.
Even with the 50 mHz setting on the new firmware, I get more travel range and some increased smoothness.
I think you have nothing to lose and possibly something to gain by upgrading...

Thanks man. That's good to know. I will switch to new fw soon in this case. I will just wait a little more to make sure there is no bug in the firmware.
I have been reading the WKM forum and I see many crashes after a new fw update. What a bummer it would be...
I am glad I didn't end up buying a WKM. Naza does pretty much everything for less than half the price...
iskoos is offline Find More Posts by iskoos
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined May 2008
657 Posts
Quote:
I used this gimball. It has rubber grommets, but I am going on a quest to find some more pliable rubber.
The grommets that came with it are quite stiff.

I've also got some more things that I am thinking about, but the isolation grommets are first on the list.
We you find more suitable grommets please post. I have set my hex up a little differently. I built a battery shelf below and added the x468 to it. I can put 2 4s 4000mah batteries on it.
I have a 3s 2200mah (red) for testing and the small blue 3s 1300mah is for the lighting.
Mark
markeydoo is offline Find More Posts by markeydoo
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:04 AM
voodoo magic maaan
United Kingdom, England, Merton
Joined Jan 2011
339 Posts
my naza let me down in this video.. still have no idea what happened
I first lose control at 2.10 and then at 2.40 it goes in!
FPV - quadcopter naza crash (5 min 3 sec)
lukeydukey10 is offline Find More Posts by lukeydukey10
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:48 AM
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeydoo View Post
We you find more suitable grommets please post. I have set my hex up a little differently. I built a battery shelf below and added the x468 to it. I can put 2 4s 4000mah batteries on it.
I have a 3s 2200mah (red) for testing and the small blue 3s 1300mah is for the lighting.
Mark
These are interesting to play with: http://mikrokopter.altigator.com/ant...s-p-40415.html

I have them on my F550.
KevinBuckley70 is offline Find More Posts by KevinBuckley70
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined Sep 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhydrox View Post
I think that I maybe can set channel 5, so I can switch between GPS and failsafe, or maybe GPS and Atti and when I turn off the radio, it goes on failsafe.
I have heard that I have to set throttle at 50% when I setup failsafe, is it right???
I'm using that radio with a f450 Naza/GPS etc.

Your setup sounds reasonable, although you can get an extra switch if you mix one of the channels back to itself. So (say) you can have home-lock on ch6 and then use the dual-rate switch to control a mix on that channel, to itself. So then you can have course lock on the DR switch. The effect is that you have then three active two-position switches not two.

One other trick is that although GPS-Atti is handy for a switch, as you can't then toggle GPS<->Manual, you can't switch into compass calibration, or into Naza failsafe (which is not the same as the 6EX failsafe). The work-around is simply to create a new "model" for each combination. So I have set up with CH5 as GPS-Atti, another GPS-M, and a third GPS-Failsafe. It would be fiddily to switch in the air, but it gives you more flexibility.

If you set the 6EX failsafe throttle to 50% then if you switch the TX off (or if the RX comms go down), then the copter will hover. The default for the 6EX is I think 20%; leave it there and your quad would crash. I set mine to a slow descent 45% - I want it to come down gently if I loose control. Note that the other settings are held by the the 6EX receiver, which may not be pleasant if you're unlucky. On the other hand, failsafe is a luxury. Note that the 6EX fail safe is not the same as the Naza failsafe.

Quote:
We have a similar conversation going on over on the other thread...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=14623
Try to avoid using transmitter = off to trigger Failsafe...
Does the Futaba 6Ch support a preset or zero throttle Failsafe for transmitter off? (Just wondering...)
That link doesn't take me anywhere useful. The 6EX receiver (can't remember the number) supports a preset failsafe on one channel (by default the throttle); other channels are held. Hence you can't trigger the Naza failsafe by switching off the transmitter. Turn the TX off, and the Naza sees the preset throttle and the other channels remain as they were => it doesn't know you've done it.

Apologies if it's been done to death, but I would say that you need to be a bit careful with the Naza fail safe. If you have it in the "ascend to 20m and then return to GPS location" for example, you probably don't want to trigger it if flying under trees.
phil_w is offline Find More Posts by phil_w
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:12 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskoos View Post
Thanks man. That's good to know. I will switch to new fw soon in this case. I will just wait a little more to make sure there is no bug in the firmware.
I have been reading the WKM forum and I see many crashes after a new fw update. What a bummer it would be...
I am glad I didn't end up buying a WKM. Naza does pretty much everything for less than half the price...
Firmware has been upgrading with no reported glitches.
Except early when some posters were not familiar with the upgrade process or connection was interrupted during upgrade...
I think you're safe...
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:27 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,638 Posts
Link correction

"That link doesn't take me anywhere useful. The 6EX receiver (can't remember the number) supports a preset failsafe...."
Try this link to the original post and click the link from there.
I think it got corrupted in copying...
May still not be useful.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5359
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Jun 2012
36 Posts
small gimbal problem!

I just built a 2-axis gimbal and so far is working OK i guess. I have 2 complaints:
1. I have to adjust servo arms so gimbal will travel max rotation
2. both axis seem to move with a "steplike" movement and NOT smooth.

I can handle the first problem but the 2nd problem I'm going to need you servo experts here to help me out please. I don't think it's the servos themselves but rather the gimbal software. Any thought??
xquad is offline Find More Posts by xquad
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:47 PM
DJI and Empire Support
Joined Feb 2009
4,638 Posts
Servos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xquad View Post
I just built a 2-axis gimbal and so far is working OK i guess. I have 2 complaints:
1. I have to adjust servo arms so gimbal will travel max rotation
2. both axis seem to move with a "steplike" movement and NOT smooth.

I can handle the first problem but the 2nd problem I'm going to need you servo experts here to help me out please. I don't think it's the servos themselves but rather the gimbal software. Any thought??
It could actually be the servos themselves.
Some posters have reported Naza not playing well with some servo brands.
If you have any other servos around to experiment with, you may want to see how they behave even if they are not what you plan to use in your gimbal.
I assume that you are using the upgraded firmware.
Realize that an analog servo is not going to do well at the higher frequencies.
You could actually burn it up.
Leave the setting low for analog...
Site Sponsor