HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:16 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
367 Posts
Got to fly old Snoopy again today, and the final judgement on the modifications is "very, very good".

The lifting tail has removed all trace of the old "throttle up/nose up" that is so characteristic of WWI models. The best part is that the CG is almost at the recommended 4", without any signs of instability, and no nose over or other weird ground handling issues. Andy: one of the advantages of going with the more rigid, Clark Y stab is that I'm not using any of those pesky flying wires. I'll leave that to the super scale guys. I just like to have fun.

Turns are WWI, tho, rudder into it, quite a bit of back stick, and opposite aileron to prevent overbanking. Ailerons to roll out.

The G60 on the 6000 6s setup will fly it around all day. I did about a five minute flight that included a couple loops, and the packs only needed maybe 1500 mAh to recharge.
Bob Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Bob Hunt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Nov 2010
201 Posts
Hi Bob,

Glad to hear the camel is still flying. Your mods definitely sound worth the effort.
I've decided to drop the rigging wires in favor of "hat" elastic. Similar to shirring elastic but a little thicker so more visible. I've used the original brass ends but no turnbuckle, just a piece of brass tube in place of. Looks good and 100% easier to assemble/disassemble if need be.

Just installed the cowl and dummy radial and playing around with washers now to get the prop to clear the cowl.
AndyCross is offline Find More Posts by AndyCross
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:14 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
367 Posts
Keep at it, Andy. You'll love it. I think your power is about the same as mine, maybe a little more. Really sparkles at the 1100W figure, somewhere around 130W per pound. Does the sweetest looking round loops from level. As good as any of my high performance sport planes.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:59 PM
Joined Nov 2010
201 Posts
Had a little breather from the camel and decided to get my e-flite PT17 up and running, hoping it gives a little insight into bipes.

Flew it the weekend and was quite good. cofg is an issue as it a short nose like the camel. But all in all I'm quite impressed and looking forward to getting the camel flying.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:40 AM
Joined Nov 2010
201 Posts
Well a few months later and a few more mods, the camels is finally ready.
Have noticed advise from fellow modellers about moving the additional nose weight to the bottom of the bulkhead to aviod the pendulum effect on landings.
Going to try the zip ties as well on the landing gear instead of the rubber bands.
Maiden is this sat , so hope all goes well.

Andy
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Nov 2010
201 Posts
last minute checks and testing.
Found a couple of the black rubber bands on the under cart had snapped which was making it lean slightly. 5 min fix now sorted.

Final specs are :-

Motor :- Pulso 4130-12 460kv
Esc :- JENERGPro 40amp sbec
Lipos :- 2x 11.1v 20c 5000mah lipos in series
Prop :- Zoar 16x8 wooden

AUW :- 8LB 6oz
WOT :- 1150w @40amps
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:51 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Andy, if you were meaning a 40A ESC., that may be the death of your Camel. Give the electronics some room. Go with a larger ESC.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Oct 05, 2012, 04:09 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Jan 2011
96 Posts
Like Harry said, a larger esc is in order.
Or at the very least dial back the throttle end point on your TX. I wouldn't let it go over 35amps with a 40amp esc.
I have burnt up a few esc's,if it has a bec, and your using it, your going to lose all control.
bracketman is offline Find More Posts by bracketman
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Nov 2010
201 Posts
Hi Harry,

Yes your right, I'll drop my 60amp in. .......Good advise.
Thanks.

I did maiden today even with the 40amp and it was terrific.
Never flown a bipe before so it was very different to what I'm used to.

Take off was unbelievable. Just throttled up slowly keeping it straight on the rudder and she just lifted on her own with no elevator at all. This plane generates so much lift its like a kite!!!
Settled into a nice pattern but noticed she wanted to climb all the while.(maybe a little down thrust needed) and needed quite a few clicks right aileron to get her level.

Otherwise it was great.
Really humbling watching her float by with the drone of the brushless and the wing whistling through the wings.

Landing was a little untidy, bounced a few times and nosed over but i think that's my fault as i came in quite quick.
2nd flight was much better after adjusting Ailerons on few clicks down elevator. Landing was much better as well and more scale like. no nose over(moving the nose weight under the engine mount seems to help?) Got her to slow right down to a slow running pace and just floated her in. ...lovely.

7-10 min flights on both packs resulted in no heat at all. Could probably have gone another 5mins at least I reckon.
Charging the packs at home showed 2250 &2215 respectively going back in, so less than half the capacity used . Excellent.

Its been a long time coming but worth the wait.
Beautiful plane and really nice to fly .

Now just to paint up my pilot and get the scarf blowing in the wind!!!!!

Andy
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:43 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
367 Posts
Congrats, Andy. Glad it went well.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:45 PM
United States, OH, Delaware
Joined Jan 2011
96 Posts
Great news Andy.
Where did you place the batteries?
Have any pictures of the install?

Thanks
bracketman is offline Find More Posts by bracketman
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:02 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Way to go Andy! The Camel puts such a big smile on my face every time I fly her. These planes must have been a real handful in real life as the nose overs were very common. My last time out bent my motor mount enough that the last flight ended up cartwheeling on takeoff. Wish I had grass to fly off of with this one. Only minor damage to the top wing and of course the motor mount.

Harry
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Nov 2010
201 Posts
Hi Chaps, thanks for the nice comments.

Just dropped in my 60amp sbec but installed a separate bec also.
Also placed a washer behind each top engine mount to give a little down thrust.
Had to trim a little more from inside the dummy engine is it was fouling the motor slightly.

otherwise its great. A handful but very satisfying.
cofg was as per harry's @3.75".

I'll get some pics on here on my set up.

Andy
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:30 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
I forgot to add, the Camel likes to climb with any more than 1/4 power. I think this is normal.

Harry
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:05 PM
Mustang Fever
Joined Jan 2005
367 Posts
She sure does. That's why I put the Clark Y airfoil on my stab/elevator, and put in some positive incidence. With that and the little bit of downthrust in the firewall, mine stays level right up to full power.