Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by MrE, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:20 PM
United States, WA, Olympia
Joined Oct 2009
299 Posts
Great day today at TCMAA's September ALeS... 9 pilots registered. 5 rounds flown. Terrific conditions - sunny skies, light breeze, active air, lots of swallows to show the way. Our group, on the whole, has really improved dramatically by flying ALES this year! Pilots who, earlier in the year, struggled to get airborne without disaster are now hitting time tasks and picking up landing points with regularity. I think this is the most enjoyment that our club has had in a long time. The Ales format has been big fun with low costs and low pressure. Everybody should try this!
Thom
olythom is offline Find More Posts by olythom
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:21 PM
Okanagan Falls. British columbia. Canada
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
Amen

Amen to that Oly. We had our 5th ALESMOM of 2012 yesterday 8 pilots , every one of whom would endorse everything you posted. Ken.
knormang is offline Find More Posts by knormang
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Oct 2009
299 Posts
TCMAA on 9/22 -

Attention..... We are starting the 9/22 "championship" event a little earlier than our regular monthly events. Please be be ready for a pilot's meeting at 0915. We'd love to see the GigHarbor gang and the Portland boys come out to play.

Lunch will be provided (drinks, chips, cookies, dogs and burgers). Landing/lunch fee will be $10......

In addition to the champions' plaque and placement ribbons, there will also be some prizes (servos, a glider kit, other goodies) donated by the local hobby shop.

Come on out and let's have some fun!!!!!!
Thom
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:32 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,144 Posts
The guys at the TCMAA club put on a great contest today!

The weather was darn near perfect, lunch was great and the company was excellent! On top of all that, there were prizes!!

I am impressed with the way everyone has improved their flying skills over the last year. It seemed like everyone was getting good times and making landing points.

That was certainly reflected in the final scores - they were unbelievably close!

IIRC, first and second were only 6/10's of a point apart and third was just a few points further back. I think the there was only something like 100 points separating the top 7 or 8 places. Thats a close contest! It made for a very exciting and fun day.

Thanks guys!

Just for fun, this is what my altimeter recorded for my flights today. Its easy to see my throw out round

MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Oct 2009
299 Posts
Great time!

+1 Larry. What a great day for soaring. Conditions were terrific and the overall skill level has jumped dramatically. I love the graphic data you posted. You can certainly see the sink between the thermals.... You did a great job with the Mirage. Top finishing aircraft were.... Bird of Time, Mirage, Spectra, Pegasus, and then (i think) 3 Radians. Two new guys who both said they'll be back (one said he'd like to have another contest tomorrow). All in all, a fine day.
>Thom
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
Mr. E I have sent you a private message. Ken.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Oct 2009
299 Posts
TCMAA October ALES

Our next 'monthly' contest is set for Sunday October 14th. We wanted Saturday but the field will be closed for a gun club event. We'll shoot for a 10:00 pilots meeting.
We will be sending these results to the AlesLeague AND the points will count towards the club 'high points' results for the year.
$5.00 landing fee will include lunch.
AMA is required.
See ya there. >Thom
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:24 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,144 Posts
Thom, were you planning to send the results of the last event in to the League?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Oct 2009
299 Posts
yes... I believe Mark is taking care of that. I will check with him this weekend.
>T
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:45 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,144 Posts
Good - I've missed too many contests and need the points
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:48 PM
Joined Oct 2009
299 Posts
TCMAA October contest is this coming weekend!!!!!! It's on Sunday this month (the 14th). We're running out of contests for this year. Only two more chances to add points for the club high-point championship. Pilots meeting 0945 - 1000.

TCMAA.net for directions. or call three six oh-456-4517
>Thom
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:00 PM
Vancouver Boundary, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
3 Posts
where can I buy one of these CAM unit for ALES glider contest
leiffk is offline Find More Posts by leiffk
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:37 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leiffk View Post
where can I buy one of these CAM unit for ALES glider contest
You can order a CAM limiter directly from Randy at:

http://www.soaringcircuits.com/

Im also a fan of the Sky Limit device. Its a little more expensive and a little more complex but also more flexible. You will need to order the programmer with it.

http://www.wingedshadow.com/skylimit.html

Depending on where you live, Olythom may have some CAM's in stock for sale at his store in Lacey. (edit: I see your in Canada, so ordering on-line may be best unless your traveling down this way anyway.)
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:39 PM
MrE
Joined Aug 2007
2,144 Posts
Thom - I hope you guys are doing a major weather dance. Its not looking good for Sunday.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:12 AM
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
ALES at Okanagan Falls.

Just to let our neighbors know that they are welcome to attend any of our events(AMA membership a must). We are only 30 min north of Oroville in Washington State. . You will need a CAM in your glider, or a Sky Limiter ( I have one loaner).Entry Fee $10.00. Medals to third place. Bring your own Lunch, although we fly from a park right in OK Falls, mainstreet is just 4 blocks away, for sandwiches or pizzas etc.Our last ALES contest is Sunday next ,21st of Oct.Pilot briefing 9.30 am. fly immediately afterwards. We usually get in 5 rounds before2pm,so you get plenty of experience, and can still drive home in daylight !We post all our results to the ALES League, so you can be part of it without the necessity to travel to the coast to find a contest!Come on up if you live in Eastern Wash. you are not far away. We shall be holding monthly contests next year commencing in May, so if you are a glider enthusiast or are thinking of having a go at ALES , get a model ready this winter,we would be delighted to have you join us in this fun contest.We run only one class-Open- "Run what you brung" Moldie, woodie or foamie!Phone me , Ken Gregory at 250-497-6262.