kkphantom is online now Find More Posts by kkphantom
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2014, 12:58 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,919 Posts
Asteroid A1 Jim Baguley Design St. Leonard Models kit

Hi,
I'm taking a chance and posting a 20th century plan here. Or, actually, a link to the files. This might be just the thing if you like to mess around with Gimp or Photoshop. All scanned about 8 1/2 X 11 at a time. The cut lines in the wood are hard to see, even if you have the actual wood in your hands.

plans, box art, instructions:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kdsoiswrl...dCRLiUNy6dsxOa
3 of the 4 identical die cut sheets here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/elkv05g8t...PX9-HXLle4vNHa
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old May 29, 2014, 04:29 PM
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Feb 2007
320 Posts
Quote:
'proper aeromodelling!'
LOL. Im just curious what is proper aeromodelling, and does the existence of a proper style of modelling make all other styles improper or ?
This is the attitude that makes kids not want to learn, who wants to do something when your just going to be told its wrong. Its not proper.
When my brother and I first joined the local RC club, we had already been flying for years and had our own stable of self designed airplanes to show for it. Most of the members were super happy and stoked to see these brash youg uns with thier own designed modesl that flew well(OKay maybe some debate there but they all flew). Oddly there was a handful of members who wanted to literally ground us, until they had been allowed to TAKE OUR PLANES HOME WITH THEM, so they could PROPERLEY assess as to whether they should fly or not.
Thankfully the president of the club told them to basically get stuffed, this was supposed to be fun, but these old timers had gone so far away from modeling being actual fun I think they had forgotten what fun felt like. The prez that day grounded one of the planes we had brought with us,, he didnt like the way the wing had been attached and suggested a simple fix for us to do later.
But the four other planes we brought all flew. These planes were scratch built, no plans, just the old 'looks like it should fly'. This is how the pionneers of flight did it too as I understand.
Dont get me wrong, I love traditional building, a fresh exciting plan, I love stick and tissue, covering with Esaki, simple rubber power models, but I always try to remember it is a toy, first and foremost, and it is meant to bring me joy, not sorrow.
That is why when I see someone mention 'proper aeromodeling' I kinda snap. I dont know how many people those old timers discouraged, but I know it was a healthy handful just by talking with other members, people would show up with planes they had built, or ARF's whatev, and the oldtimers would send them home with a two page list of improvements, 90% of which the newcomer had no idea about. I understand safety and there has to be a 'line'', but a newcomer does not, they just get discrouraged and quit. Thankfully attitudes have changed, and smaller electric powereed planes have made self designs a lot less daunting, and heck a lot less dangerous too.
Thanks to ALgfy and any other for all the great plans.
Muchos Gracias Amigo.
Grais.

PS: to be fair I should mention that two of the 'Old Farts' as I called em, became very close to my brother and I.
After participating with the club for a couple of months, strange as it may be, the two most vocal opponnents to our homemade planes, really warmed up to our 'unique vision', and started to really help us improve our crafts, just by simply talking to us, and being willing to share the knowledge they had acquired over a lifetime. Soon after we were visiting their workshops and even did a shared project. And I dare say we opened their minds to new ideas, like how great electric power is now, they still thought of electric as the early 80's with brushed can engines and really heavy and inefficient batteries, the new Lipos and brushless motors really opened them up to new ideas and projects that electric power offers.
Graiskye is offline Find More Posts by Graiskye
Old May 29, 2014, 04:39 PM
Isaiah 40:31
West Palm Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2000
689 Posts
Graiskye, cool story. Thanx for that.
rc capo is online now Find More Posts by rc capo
Old May 30, 2014, 04:12 AM
Diesel Danny
Australia, VIC, Bellbridge
Joined Nov 2013
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graiskye View Post
LOL. Im just curious what is proper aeromodelling, and does the existence of a proper style of modelling make all other styles improper or ?
Well Graiskye, you have opened a whole can of worms here.

I, for one, prefer to build my own models from scratch, that rare unobtainiom material that is never in the box.

I used to hate ARF's, no quality control, but lately have accepted them as a sign of the times and at least they get people flying.

So are there two classes? Are you an Aeromodeller or a Model Flyer?

Does it matter?

* Danny *
danny mz is offline Find More Posts by danny mz
Old Jun 02, 2014, 03:36 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,919 Posts
Recently, a kid (ok, teenager) and his father dropped by our field. The father was doing most of the talking. They were trying to figure out how the kid could get his aviation merit badge with the absolute minimum of work. Couldn't seem to persuade them that building was actually worth doing. This would be great training for a certain kind of Lombardi* capitalism to be practiced later. (I'm not saying capitalism is necessarily bad when it's not like this.)

I wonder what the kid was like when his father wasn't around?

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winning...the_only_thing

----------

BTW, in the time I've been in this hobby, ARF's have advanced from being an inadequate joke to quite good, in many cases. In a few, higher performance than anything you could do with less than an NC milling machine to make molds, curing oven, CAD software, etc. yada yada. Of course, there's still a bit of junk being sold.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Jun 02, 2014, 03:25 PM
United Kingdom, East Susx
Joined Jun 2014
1 Posts
It is nice to see that my plan for the Wippet (Published in 1959) is still available. It was originally designed as a club room indoor Round The Pole (RTP) semi scale flying model. (wings fixed in place) The prototype was fitted with a Cox TD 020 glow plug motor.
I also built a free flight rubber powered model which flew well, so I built a Cox TD020 version with knock off wings. It had a good climb rate and its stable flight meant it was also a really good outdoor free flight design.
Free Flight Flying: Release with 30 seconds of fuel in the tank, or you will have a long chase on your hands. Trim to climb left under power and right for the glide.
JohnPro
JohnPro is offline Find More Posts by JohnPro
Last edited by JohnPro; Jun 02, 2014 at 03:41 PM. Reason: up date
Old Jun 02, 2014, 06:14 PM
groundlooped
sydney nsw australia
Joined Mar 2005
297 Posts
G'day John pro, is it this one?[ATTACH]
[/ATTACH]
groundlooped is online now Find More Posts by groundlooped
Old Jun 09, 2014, 01:29 AM
Vertically Challenged...
Ash Vale Hampshire UK
Joined Jul 2004
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPro View Post
It is nice to see that my plan for the Wippet (Published in 1959) is still available. It was originally designed as a club room indoor Round The Pole (RTP) semi scale flying model. (wings fixed in place) The prototype was fitted with a Cox TD 020 glow plug motor.
I also built a free flight rubber powered model which flew well, so I built a Cox TD020 version with knock off wings. It had a good climb rate and its stable flight meant it was also a really good outdoor free flight design.
Free Flight Flying: Release with 30 seconds of fuel in the tank, or you will have a long chase on your hands. Trim to climb left under power and right for the glide.
JohnPro
What length line did you use for the RTP version John?

Bert
Cody's Neighbour is offline Find More Posts by Cody's Neighbour
Old Jul 06, 2014, 01:33 AM
NSWFFS
Richmond NSW Oz
Joined Apr 2005
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGiver View Post
For unknown reasons the article says it is Maris Disler's design, the plan says George Car
I spoke to Maris this weekend at the NSWFFS Trans Tasman scale rally (say that 3 times fast!)

The plan, photos and the article are by Maris. He sent his drawings/sketches to George who redrew the plan as seen. What should be on the plan is "Drawn by George Car"

Cheers,
Rob
McGiver is offline Find More Posts by McGiver
Old Jul 07, 2014, 09:27 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
I spoke to George about this and in fact he didn't even do a re-draw, he merely submitted the whole thing to Aeromodeller as sent to him by Maris...

Gary
kkphantom is online now Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Jul 07, 2014, 11:00 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,405 Posts
Any word on algy2?

I miss his great plans.
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit
Old Jul 09, 2014, 05:57 AM
NSWFFS
Richmond NSW Oz
Joined Apr 2005
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkphantom View Post
I spoke to George about this and in fact he didn't even do a re-draw, he merely submitted the whole thing to Aeromodeller as sent to him by Maris...

Gary
That's odd, I wonder how his name wound up on the plan then.
McGiver is offline Find More Posts by McGiver
Old Jul 23, 2014, 06:33 AM
Newport News, Va
Joined Sep 2004
640 Posts
Here are 3 of the 4 rubber powered free flight helicopters that were designed by John Burkam.

“Penni”; by John Burkam, “American Aircraft Modeler” - January 1970, a rubber powered free-flight model, a departure from the rubber powered coax models in that it used a tail rotor to cancel torque and used a stabilizer bar. Penni was kitted by Peck-Polymers. "Penni" was named after John's daughter.

"Nikki" has a 24" diameter rotor, a larger version of "Penni", and was drawn up in June of 89.

"Sam the Flying Flee" has an 11-1/2" diameter rotor and was drawn in 1968 and the drawing was distributed by Peck-Polymers. "Sam" is a smaller version of "Penni"

Gene
rchopper56 is offline Find More Posts by rchopper56
Old Jul 23, 2014, 09:55 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,405 Posts
rchopper,

Thanks for the plans! I remember being intrigued by Penni design, way back then. Good to see it again.
packardpursuit is online now Find More Posts by packardpursuit