HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:20 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic View Post
I am not frustrated, I am pissed off. My problem comes from the new design of the access to the landing gear straps in the wing. You have the original design with the access hatch which gives greater access and visibility of the straps. The straps are pre-installed with one screw. The new design with the holes limits your view and access to these straps. It makes it very difficult to flip the straps over the gear and then insert the screw into the second hole in the strap. It is not impossible to accomplish but quite a task. I had to use an old trick (fuel tubing on the end of a screw driver) to insert the screws into the straps. My magnetic tip screw driver would not fit into the holes.

I managed to get the straps attached to the forward strut on the right side landing gear. The rear straps look like they may be easier to work with. With one side done, I will probably find the other side a bit easier.

The construction of the remainder of the model is straight forward. It is just the installation of the gear through those holes that is a problem. Thanks for the offer of pictures, but they will not help. I'll get her done. Just need to take my time and use my acquired skills for this part of the build.

You sound like you will be able to find a solution - Wonder why they changed it ! Silly as my V1 seems like it was a better solution right ?
OzparkPilot is online now Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:43 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Forced View Post
You sound like you will be able to find a solution - Wonder why they changed it ! Silly as my V1 seems like it was a better solution right ?
They changed it to make manufacturing easier and cheaper. It was a matter of economics without consideration for the builder or appearance of the completed model. Just think what those holes look like if you don't cover them - UGLY!
Iflyrc_vic is offline Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:47 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Lipschitz View Post
Have you thought about getting a stronger spar and mounting the landing gear directly to that?
That would be a major rebuild of the wing. Not a viable solution in my opinion.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:18 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
Ok, forget about a new spar-but you could mount your gear to the spar, maybe with epoxy.

I had a similar problem on a GWS Mustang...although no real spar in that plane, I was able to mount reinforcements linked to the spar. That made a huge difference.
Eli Lipschitz is offline Find More Posts by Eli Lipschitz
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:16 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Lipschitz View Post
Ok, forget about a new spar-but you could mount your gear to the spar, maybe with epoxy.
The problem is not with the design of how the gear is mounted to the wing but more from the length of the gear. This model has VERY tall wire main landing gear mounted inside massive wheel pants. The large wheel pants are part of what gives Gee Bee's their unique look and appeal to many modelers.

The larger models (50cc and 100cc) use much larger struts - sometimes tubular material. Tubular gear could probably be purchased for this 20cc size model but would add undesired weight. I don't personally want to spend the money on a custom set of landing gear - not in the budget for this model.

Personally, I probably will not fly this plane very much due to the history of its difficulty on takeoffs and landings. I hope I can master its flight characteristics to get some use out of it. Again, the larger models are reportedly easier to fly but they are "gas" powered with up to 450cc Moki engines (way out of my league).

The bottom line is that the gear will not be an issue if we make good landings.
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Oct 08, 2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:20 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,295 Posts
Well, she is up on her feet. Those wheel pants look really big but I like them. BTW, the gear measures 11.5 inches from the bottom of the wing to the bottom of the wheel. That's a long wire gear and require the functional flying wires to minimize side-to-side movement.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
The LG looks great-J.W. do you have the large spinner? Where did you purchase it? I have a foamie version of the R2 (incomplete) with no spinner.........I bought it from a brick and mortar store in upstate NY, I don't know who the manufacture is. It is an R2 version (not first GEE BEE).
Eli Lipschitz is offline Find More Posts by Eli Lipschitz
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:16 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,295 Posts
Wheel Pant Mounting

Here I am again with the on-going saga of this second version ARF. The instructions say to drill a pilot hole through the pant, rubber pad and into the plywood base in the wing. Well gang, there is no rubber padding supplied with this version of the model. I cut out my own from some scrap rubber. I cut one for the front and back of each pant - about 3/16 thick. These pads provide a flexible mounting surface between the pant and the wing and allows some lateral movement of the wheel pants.

Not much left to build so I should not run into any other problems. Why has'nt anyone else said anything about these issues with the new version of this model?
  • Hard points poorly designed
  • Tail wheel-pant useless
  • Holes used to access landing gear straps with no covering supplied
  • No rubber pads for wheel pants

Inching along to completion...
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Oct 13, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:04 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,459 Posts
Building is all about problem solving and enjoying the process and trying to find solution that others can apply.

I guess when I stated this thread, I was surprised that this particular R3 ARF was so feared and when few examples ( other than mine ) can be seen flying it makes me think if I got lucky ?

I need another person in the 60` R3 club Iflyrc !! I know you can solve these small issues !! Come on man.. ! Take you time and address each problem with needing a solution... solve it and move to the next.. We are here to help. G
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:05 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,295 Posts
Part.of my love for this hobby is building. I have built and flown numerous models - some were kits and some ARFs. This happens to be one of the most expensive ARFs I have purchased and therefore I did not expect to find so many problems that were not addressed by anyone else.
As for finding solutions to these problems, I have posted solutions to ALL of the issues I found in this model. I was blindsided by these issues, found a solution, posted it here and moved on only to find something else.
I will eventually complete this model and attempt to fly it. In the mean time, if there are some other issues lurking around that have not been addressed, please feel free to post them here.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:49 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,295 Posts
Quote:
Show and tell !! Come on Ifly show em how its flys ! Tell em how good it is... ( I should not talk I have 3 on the bench as we speak )
This is a great plane with no design issues (ignore all of the issues posted here). It flies great (ignore all of the bad flight reports on other forums).

OK G-Forced, are you happy!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:29 AM
Chillaxin dude!
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
4,788 Posts
lol... I will eventually get to mine as well..
BulletMaster is offline Find More Posts by BulletMaster
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:33 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iflyrc_vic View Post
This is a great plane with no design issues (ignore all of the issues posted here). It flies great (ignore all of the bad flight reports on other forums).

OK G-Forced, are you happy!
All I'm saying is I have not experiences the issues you and others clearly have - Mine was great quality and fly's great ! The only real issues I had were:

Poor Tailwheel design
Damage to the ARF from shipping
Poor clevis qulity

These are hardly deal breakers IMHO.

G
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:31 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,295 Posts
Quote:
All I'm saying is I have not experiences the issues you and others clearly have - Mine was great quality and fly's great ! The only real issues I had were:
Poor Tailwheel design
Damage to the ARF from shipping
Poor clevis qulity
These are hardly deal breakers IMHO.
G
How did you attach the landing wires to the fuse (the ones on top of the wing)? there seems to be very little "meat" to insert the screw into. As noted earlier, yours was shown pulled out in one of your photos.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:24 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,459 Posts
Yes your right. This was mentioned earlier as there needs more " meat as you say " incorporated into the fuse. All I did was Brush the area with epoxy and it created a nice hard point and there were no more issues.