HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:08 AM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
281 Posts
Well I won't use your first name if you don't want me to do so.

Your question about the laser tachometer, I have used optical tachs that used a piece of foil to clock the R.P.M. it shouldn't matter where you place the foil. The blade you are looking at is going the same R.P.M. no matter where you have that foil. But, the amount of distance travelled per second would change depending on a placement.

So that makes me think you have to input something in that laser so it knows the diameter of the rotation point. All it is doing is counting how many times it sees that foil per second.

So, it will need a extra person there to aim at the target while you are flying, that is how we did it way back when helis only had a tail gyro.

Kind of odd about your servo just dieing like that, you have really had your share of failures with equipment/parts/electronics.

I think that once you sell all of your Walkera gear, & get a X5 or X2 you will have a more pleasurable experience flying. But they all break down sometime. Like one of my Nitros did after I put a new engine in it,I was melting mufflers right & left that is when I found that the cylinder head was warped causing it to run way too lean & hot.

Expensive hobby that it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
Yeah, i kind of have this thing about anonymity on the web But my real name is Tony. Short for Anthony, actually.

Anyway, You might be able to answer this since you have a big heli you might have experience in this particular field. I just got a Laser photo tachometer that uses a piece of reflective tape to take a reading on rotational speed. It's actually for calibrating and checking tool speeds and things like that. But my question is this:

Where is the proper location in the length of the blades to place the reflective tape, so that i can take a proper and accurate HS reading using the laser. It seems that there is easily a 100-200 rpm difference between checking the root and the tips. I assume one or the other is correct, or perhaps it should be the CG point of the blades? This is rather frustrating for me ATM.

BTW, hover test on the new V450 i built went well. It hovered without incident. Now that i have a Tachometer i can determine the proper timing i should be using on the ESC for the right head speed for this motor. So, i'm sooo very tempted to keep this one instead of listing it. Funny story though! I bought a new WK tail servo to install in this guy a few months back. I was setting it up on the bench, using 5V BEC and the damn tail servo just stopped moving in one direction all of a sudden when i was getting ready to set the neutral/end points. Just after i finished setting the likage rod position for neutral. So this heli is going to have all 4 savox servos. I'll have to get a new one for mine. I kind of just want to rebuild it and sell them both. I have to get a X5 and a X2. It's become very frustrating to me that i don't have the means to buy them at the moment.
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:18 PM
Semi Expert
United States, MA, Norton
Joined Aug 2012
281 Posts
Hey Guys!

I will probably banned from this site in 1 minute after I post this, due to the fact that "HobbyKing" is the one that hosts this site. And as I told you before, they are owned by a conglomerate of about 7 entities!

Here is my warning, & like I said, this may be deleted in 0ne minute after I post it. So If you see this message do a cut & paste, please.

Story starts like this:
I order through HobbyKing 5 batteries that were supposed to have come from a California warehouse. As soon as I reviewed my purchase, I found that it was coming from Hong Kong.

With-in Two minutes I contacted them via on-line support, & asked for a cancel of my order due to it coming from Hong Kong. They stated that they canceled it.

I looked at my credit card billing statements & found that they put the canceled charges as a store credit. I sent them a msg. stating I want a credit to my credit card.

They said, we need to know if you want to keep the store credit, or have a credit to your credit card. In my first message I stated I wanted my credit card re-imbursed.

So, To really make it correct, I did a credit card charge back.

Sorry there HobbyKing, you over-stepped the boundary's of purchase & selling a item!

Buyer beware!
iflyhelis is offline Find More Posts by iflyhelis
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:13 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyhelis View Post
Hey Guys!

I will probably banned from this site in 1 minute after I post this, due to the fact that "HobbyKing" is the one that hosts this site. And as I told you before, they are owned by a conglomerate of about 7 entities!

Here is my warning, & like I said, this may be deleted in 0ne minute after I post it. So If you see this message do a cut & paste, please.

Story starts like this:
I order through HobbyKing 5 batteries that were supposed to have come from a California warehouse. As soon as I reviewed my purchase, I found that it was coming from Hong Kong.

With-in Two minutes I contacted them via on-line support, & asked for a cancel of my order due to it coming from Hong Kong. They stated that they canceled it.

I looked at my credit card billing statements & found that they put the canceled charges as a store credit. I sent them a msg. stating I want a credit to my credit card.

They said, we need to know if you want to keep the store credit, or have a credit to your credit card. In my first message I stated I wanted my credit card re-imbursed.

So, To really make it correct, I did a credit card charge back.

Sorry there HobbyKing, you over-stepped the boundary's of purchase & selling a item!

Buyer beware!
Coming from a Retail store background of sorts. I find this UNACCEPTABLE. Especially if your order specifically said (US warehouse) in the title of the item. Which it usually does with them. However, i fell like they did make what would be considered and adequate attempt at compensation. But your warning should not go unheeded. I personally order Turnigy packs from them, making sure to ALWAYS select the US tab on the menu on the left before navigating anywhere. I have had at least 4 shipments of batteries come to me in less than 2 days actually. But i think that is because their US warehouse is in lakeland florida or some where around there. Just a side note, two of the packs i ordered out of say 10 packs came puffed in the box. I'm sure they don't check for that. But it's something to think about. Turnigy them self will warranty their packs anyway, if you can be bothered to try and warranty such cheap batteries in the first place.

I just want to say, I don't doubt that they gave you a hassle over a mistake on their end, that should have been corrected and funded back to your credit card. But i'm sure that in their policy it reads that refunds are given in store credit only. I've had to do refunds with Wowhobbies and Helidirect who both use this method of refund also. Otherwise they charge a 15% restocking fee or something. I'd have to read it all again for the specifics. But my over all point is that i feel like YOU as the customer should ALWAYS be right. Them as the company should appease you, even if your wrong. In this case, they were wrong. So if anything they should have sent you a $10 gift certificate and a refund just for having to call them twice and waste your time. Time is more valuable than money, IMO. You cannot buy more time and as far as life goes. Time is a valuable, non-renewable commodity. I suppose my view of life & time is why i get so angry over things like this sometimes. Things like the general practices of Walkera too.

Anyway, if none of MY posts have ever been removed or anything. I think your okay talking about an honest experience.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Sep 26, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
Stupid question here guys but what is the easy way of getting the tail off the V450? Do I have to pretty much disassemble the whole frame and push the tail in to loosen the belt?
Apphoard is offline Find More Posts by Apphoard
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:18 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apphoard View Post
Stupid question here guys but what is the easy way of getting the tail off the V450? Do I have to pretty much disassemble the whole frame and push the tail in to loosen the belt?
No such thing as stupid questions. Only stupid answers and stupid people

Funny thing about the belt on the V450. Just FYI guys. I could be wrong. But i think they cut the little notch in the side of the tail boom at different lengths. Because the last two tail booms I installed, one in my current flyer v450, and one in the brand new one i just finished building. Both had to be pushed into the frame FULLY FORWARD for proper belt tension. Meaning, i couldn't go any looser if i wanted to, at least not without removing the boom and cutting the notch longer in the side of the boom, allowing the tab on the frame that slides into the notch to go farther back. So lucky for me/us that the fully seated/loosest position is just about the perfect tension. However previous booms would slide in farther allowing the belt to be completely loose of the main gear if you wanted. This observation could be the result of slightly varying circumference of the belt it's self. /shrug

Okay, just wanted to get that side not out of the way. To adjust the tail boom all that is required usually is to loosen the 2 black screws going into the boom's tail brace on the right side of the helicopter. The two screws below that can be loosened as well. You don't have to remove any of them. From this point you can ATTEMPT to adjust the boom. But the boom brace is aluminum and might be bent in tightly from the screws. So if you can't adjust it you will have to remove the RX and remove the 4 screws under the RX. Once you've done that the boom should slide free, if it's still not loose enough to move, you might try lightly prying the brace apart with a slotted screw driver. But make sure you observe my warning in the paragraph above about not being able to push the boom in farther because of the tab & notch guide inside the boom brace. The tab and notch are on the left side of the helicopter, just where the belt come out of the boom and hooks the the tail drive gear. You might be able to use a flashlight and a screw driver to push the belt out of the way and see how much space you have inside the notch to slide the boom in farther before you go loosening everything for no reason. Of course it's hard to tell someone how tight a belt should be without showing them your own helicopter and letting them feel it out for them self. So good luck. Also i'm a little curious why you need/feel the need to adjust? Have you been sheering belts?
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Sep 26, 2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:01 AM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
Thanks for the info ITW. No I am not sheering belts I am selling my V450. I never flew it either. Unless it tipping over once counts. I need to make it smaller for shipping.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:27 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,797 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info ITW. No I am not sheering belts I am selling my V450. I never flew it either. Unless it tipping over once counts. I need to make it smaller for shipping.
Ohh, Yeah. I have fond memories of my 4f200 tipping over on spool up because of the old 2612V. I don't think that counts as flying it though.

HA! You'll have to change your forum avatar now! Did you already sell it, or just getting it ready? I was looking at some of your attachments, looks like you have a DFC frame shot in there? You have one of those too?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
You mean a DFC head ? No it is stock and I supposedly have a buyer. We will see first I have to get it apart and boxed up for shipping. I still have a HK 450 FBL also that I have not flown . I bought it because I thought it would be a good learning experience on how to build setup and repair these things. I like to fly the small ones and the bigger ones are just dust collectors for me lol. No really I fly the small ones to get in my practice to fly the bigger ones but then never get around to them. I think it's the setting the big ones up to fly part I am not crazy about. If I could find a place that actually sets them up and makes sure they fly correctly. I would probably fly the bigger ones more .Unlike my V450 from Wow. That is one of the reasons I bought it from them. But there is no way that Heli was test flown like they claim. Which is why it tipped over on its maiden flight. It was my first real rc Heli. After that I bought a Genius. No problems with it though. It was a great little Heli. For now I think I may just stick to the smaller ones they are fun for me. Just seeing the orientation at a distance is the only problem. But I also bought a WL929 quad it is fun also. I may get a bigger quad on my next purchase.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:58 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,797 Posts
Quote:
You mean a DFC head ? No it is stock and I supposedly have a buyer. We will see first I have to get it apart and boxed up for shipping. I still have a HK 450 FBL also that I have not flown . I bought it because I thought it would be a good learning experience on how to build setup and repair these things. I like to fly the small ones and the bigger ones are just dust collectors for me lol. No really I fly the small ones to get in my practice to fly the bigger ones but then never get around to them. I think it's the setting the big ones up to fly part I am not crazy about. If I could find a place that actually sets them up and makes sure they fly correctly. I would probably fly the bigger ones more .Unlike my V450 from Wow. That is one of the reasons I bought it from them. But there is no way that Heli was test flown like they claim. Which is why it tipped over on its maiden flight. It was my first real rc Heli. After that I bought a Genius. No problems with it though. It was a great little Heli. For now I think I may just stick to the smaller ones they are fun for me. Just seeing the orientation at a distance is the only problem. But I also bought a WL929 quad it is fun also. I may get a bigger quad on my next purchase.
IMO, you should venture into a 250. Maybe a 250 DFC or Gaui X2 or something in the 200-250 size range. They are not as intimidating as the 450. In fact it's not all that much bigger than your genius. But it will have more power and stability. Plus you can still fly it in a small space. Walkera (micros only) is great for learning. Cheap parts and repairs. But once you have your orientations down. Once you can fly normal without feeling like you could crash any second. You should move up to something a little bigger, and more reliable to fly.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:32 PM
Genius CP, V450D01, CB180Z
Canada, BC, Nelson
Joined Apr 2012
200 Posts
Roman Candles and the V450D01.

Let the heli wars begin! FET driven igniter complete run from the AUX channel. I think thing will be more fun than the long line water dropper!
bradheli1 is offline Find More Posts by bradheli1
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:27 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradheli1 View Post
Let the heli wars begin! FET driven igniter complete run from the AUX channel. I think thing will be more fun than the long line water dropper!
It looks so wrong...it's just got to be right.
Have fun, be careful.

Viking
A VIKING is offline Find More Posts by A VIKING
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:09 PM
Genius CP, V450D01, CB180Z
Canada, BC, Nelson
Joined Apr 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A VIKING View Post
It looks so wrong...it's just got to be right.
Have fun, be careful.

Viking
We now have a water squirting one, a water dropping one and one that shoots a bottle rocket. The bottle rocket bird is only single shot... so not too risky... the water squirting one sits too still... sounds like a sitting duck to me, but the water dropper could cause issues.

I'm pretty proud of my FET based igniter driven off the AUX channel. Its not easy to use a lighter under a heli when hovering! I fire both skids at the same time, so I get 10 shots. It might be better for me to rig the other skid off the gear channel. Once you are unarmed... it could get dangerous!

We have safety glasses and fire fighting gear

What a hobby! What other toy hobby lets you graduate up to live fire! I guess I enjoy all the frowns I get from the serious RC folks a bit too. But, its all about fun with no intent to harm anything!
bradheli1 is offline Find More Posts by bradheli1
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:52 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradheli1 View Post
I just hope the gyros and pilot are up to the task. Projectiles cause recoil, they will hopefully fire out of sync. Alternating back and forth so that the recoil force is not multiplied x2. With no way of stopping the consecutive volleys that will come after, i just hope everything goes well. Firing real missiles from a real scale heli is no simple task either. Only very powerful helicopters can remain stable while firing missiles from their flank. Smaller helicopters can fire rocket pods, maybe. Lucky for you, you are firing a rocket propelled projectile and your not using a scale heli. With any luck, this should work out for you. Could you imagine the recoil causing a piro and having roman candles shot at you and all of your neighbors too! I doubt that will happen. But please be careful.

This actually gives me an idea for when i'm done with my V450d01. Instead of V450D01 vs Thermite on youtube. Which would be cool. It's just not as safe as my new idea. Flying V450D01 vs Smith & Wesson 38 special with 5 inch barrel. I just got chills. It would be worth it just to see a hollow point tear though the v450 in mid air. I'm a crack shot with that thing too. It's practically a sniper pistol, lol. I just have to figure out how to fly it AND shoot it at the same time... Humm...
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Sep 27, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:43 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,137 Posts
Ill fly it for you , and have my cam on lol.
Heli Biggie is online now Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:49 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
6,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
Ill fly it for you , and have my cam on lol.
Ooooo, your close by too. You can fly, and you have a better camera then mine... Still, it would be nice to get a few hundred back out of it. We'll see what happens. I do actually have two of them now though.

Get this. While test hovering the new one in my drive way. The bearing that is pressed into the tail drive gear assembly to hold that shaft for the belt gear straight and in place. Well some how the bearing popped out and i lost the tail. I was only doing a 3 foot stationary test hover in my driveway. So it just landed on the skids. But still, can't i have any luck? So guess what! Replacing that part requires about a 75% break down of the freshly assembled v450!. I suppose i should be glad it happened to me and not the person that buys it. I guess I'm just a nice guy like that. Thoroughly checking it before i list it.... I could have let someone else have this head ache and just been rid of it. Now you see why i'm so anxious to ram a 38 though the nose of this thing. I suppose that bearing is supposed to be glued in or something. I really think the aluminum part it was pressed into was defective and not holding the bearing tightly in the first place.