New Products Flash Sale
Old May 28, 2015, 05:08 AM
Find More Posts by alderaan
Joined Oct 2011
17 Posts
Help!
Gold wing Extra 300 LP 20cc

Hi, i've bought by a friend a used goldwing extra 300LP 20cc size. Only plane without engine, servos.

plane size is about 1650mm (wingspan) x1500mm (fuselage).

Expert people at fly area suggested me to use a mintor 22 cc or a dle 20cc but this will be my first acro plane and i'd like to know if this size of engine will be useful to learn with first acro plane or i need a downsize engine like os .95v or a 1.20 4 stroke.

Any helps?

Thanks
Gianluca
alderaan is offline Find More Posts by alderaan
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2015, 11:35 AM
Find More Posts by los36
United States, TX, The Colony
Joined Nov 2012
613 Posts
When you say, "first acro plane," do you mean that you've only flown a trainer? If so, there is a large difference in how quickly this plane will respond to input and the speed that it will fly. However, the plane itself should not be inherently difficult to fly,
Greatly reducing the throws of the control surfaces will make your chances of success much greater. Have an experienced pilot test fly and adjust the control throws down to a good level for you.
Regarding engine, a 1.20 four stroke would slow it down a little yet still provide enough thrust for good flight.
los36 is online now Find More Posts by los36
Old May 28, 2015, 11:39 AM
Find More Posts by los36
United States, TX, The Colony
Joined Nov 2012
613 Posts
Ah yes, you were asking about the Calmato.
Well, this plane is a great bit more advanced than the planes we had been discussing. Again, these types of planes fly very well but are much more responsive and have zero self-righting properties compared to the planes you had previously been considering. Always have a flight plan before taking off.
los36 is online now Find More Posts by los36
Old May 28, 2015, 05:20 PM
Joined Oct 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by los36 View Post
Ah yes, you were asking about the Calmato.
Well, this plane is a great bit more advanced than the planes we had been discussing. Again, these types of planes fly very well but are much more responsive and have zero self-righting properties compared to the planes you had previously been considering. Always have a flight plan before taking off.
Thanks for answer. Yes I opened a discussion first for calmato. After some web searches and forum discussion I met a person who works for Mintor engines. He used plane in object to test engines and will sell it to me.

The idea is to prepare the plane and make it test to my teacher before use it alone....till now I've flown alone only two time.....

The thought for the choice was: why buy all new, so plane, engine, servos and buy a calmato that I will use for more or less one year ? I mean with the used extra in object, which is clearly not an entry level I would learn with a plane less trainer then calmato and I think that with right servo exp and response and teacher in fly area I should learn much more.

Is this idea wrong?
Old May 29, 2015, 01:02 AM
Find More Posts by whiskykid
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,971 Posts
I went from a 3 channel Sig Kadet, too a full on 4 channel Sterling Olympic Challenger!

although I was doing stuff with that Kadet, I am sure it wasn't meant ta do! and my reflexes, were only 20 something!

your thinking is sound! no use in buying all new till your skills get ta the point you fly more then you crash! and you will crash!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
Old May 29, 2015, 03:39 AM
Joined Oct 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskykid View Post
I went from a 3 channel Sig Kadet, too a full on 4 channel Sterling Olympic Challenger!

although I was doing stuff with that Kadet, I am sure it wasn't meant ta do! and my reflexes, were only 20 something!

your thinking is sound! no use in buying all new till your skills get ta the point you fly more then you crash! and you will crash!
"no use in buying all new till your skills get ta the point you fly more then you crash! and you will crash!"

These words sound absolutely true and real!