New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by aeajr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 07:25 AM
Find More Posts by i_am_mark_evans
United Kingdom, England, Redditch
Joined Jun 2013
427 Posts
Hi aeajr, i'm in the UK so i wouldn't be able to order from MM, i don't fancy the shipping or any custom charges.

My Radian pro and my Fling are doing me well for now, i still have yet to find my first thermal and get a decent flight time.

I was looking at the Mystique from E-Flight, both versions seem a more expensive Radian & Radian pro and both can be set up as pure glider. Was worried about getting a more expensive rudder/elevator model after the Radian pro as i thought it might be taking a step back going to a more simple controlled model, so if i did get a R/E ship than something cheaper like the GL or Spirit would be a good choice i think. And i didn't know the Spirit has spoilers so i fancy one of those over the GL.

Quickly getting more into this glider stuff =)

Mark
i_am_mark_evans is offline Find More Posts by i_am_mark_evans
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:13 PM
Find More Posts by Alienmenacet54
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Oct 2014
352 Posts
Hello;

For a 2 Meter how about the Sig Riser 78", it can be installed for spoilers.
http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=26137

Or

The Riser 100 (100") is also a RES sailplane.
http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=20907

If you would like to build.
Alienmenacet54 is offline Find More Posts by Alienmenacet54
Old Apr 26, 2015, 04:20 AM
Joined Jun 2013
427 Posts
yeah i looked at the Sig Riser 100 last night.

If i went 2m it would the Great Planes Spirit, anything larger then the Riser 100.

Id just be worried if i had the room here to build the wing on the 100 haha

Mark
Old Apr 26, 2015, 04:40 AM
Joined Oct 2014
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_mark_evans View Post
yeah i looked at the Sig Riser 100 last night.

If i went 2m it would the Great Planes Spirit, anything larger then the Riser 100.

Id just be worried if i had the room here to build the wing on the 100 haha

Mark
If you want bigger, try the 118 inch Bird of Time.
http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...d.asp?id=18920

Me, I like the older woodies, this is going to be my next one after the Riser's.
Last edited by Alienmenacet54; Apr 26, 2015 at 06:03 AM.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 05:33 AM
Find More Posts by aeajr
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
25,310 Posts
Friends,

May ask that you start a new thread to enter into a detailed discussion about glider. The topic of this thread is learning to use a Hi-start and I would prefer we stay on subject as much as possible.

Thanks.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 26, 2015, 06:04 AM
Joined Oct 2014
352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Friends,

May ask that you start a new thread to enter into a detailed discussion about glider. The topic of this thread is learning to use a Hi-start and I would prefer we stay on subject as much as possible.

Thanks.
Okay, how is that. He is looking to find something better to high start with. And since he is the U.K. just trying find something over there for him.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 06:45 AM
Joined Jun 2013
427 Posts
No worries, my apologies for going off topic.

No more posts from me and thank those that replied to my posts, info and help greatly appreciated.

Happy high starts
Old May 02, 2015, 05:33 PM
Find More Posts by Zé Povinho
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2005
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Friends,

Thanks.
OK.

I have a Dynaflite heavy duty high start (the full length one). I use it to launch a stock built Paragon (120 in plane, about 50 ounces in weight).

What I do is to walk 100 paces backwards and then I give it a gentle push. I note that the plane climbs almost vertically and does not stall at all. No flutter tendencies at all, no issues. Climb is graceful and slow-no zooms or fast launches.

I can also use this kind of hi start to launch a reasonably strong 2 meter at full stretch (100 paces). The plane I am thinking about (woodie) is an Olympic 650, which features an I-beam main spar made with full width shear webs). It, too, can take the full stretch without any issues at all.

And yes, I have also launched an ARF Gentle Lady with this one, but I limited the stretch to about 50 paces.

I might need to get something stronger to launch my upcoming kit: the Skybench Challenger, a 147 in wingspan, 80 ounces sailplane.

For all these planes, I have set the CG to right under the aft edge of the main spar, and the towhook to about 1/8 in or so in front of said CG.
Zé Povinho is offline Find More Posts by Zé Povinho
Old May 17, 2015, 04:34 PM
Find More Posts by derfnam01
Vienna, Austria
Joined May 2010
196 Posts
Parkzone Ka 8: Hi-start

Maiden Flight
After two hand launches to see if the trimmings are right we launched her with the Hi-start-tool:
I used the red rubber from Hobbyking (10m) and a line of 27meters. We elongated the rubber not too much - only 50 steps.
In the Hi-start I only used rudder to correct the direction. In the horizontal part of the Hi-start it was necessary to use some down elevator to release the ring from the Ka 8. The Ka8 is like out of the box - I only changed the CG to 65mm behind the leading edge.
In the second flight you might see the flexing of the wings when flying with the wind (which was gusting up to 20km/h).
Filmed with the Mobius-Cam and zoomed in with the help of the software AVIDEMUX.

Parkzone Ka8 (3 min 40 sec)
derfnam01 is offline Find More Posts by derfnam01
Last edited by derfnam01; May 17, 2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old May 17, 2015, 08:25 PM
Find More Posts by aeajr
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
25,310 Posts
Nice video. Second launch looked much better than the first.

You seem concerned about wing flex. Don't be. Wings are supposed to flex. Have you had a window seat on a commercial airliner? Those wing flex!
Old Jun 08, 2015, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by joshfreund
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Nov 2012
59 Posts
I use a hose monster (100ft.) Not the un limited but the next one down, 3 meter I think, with 500ft. Of Mason line.. launches my perfect and all my other gliders with authority...many times straight into lift, stretching the hi start at the top of the arc.
joshfreund is offline Find More Posts by joshfreund
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:55 AM
Find More Posts by prodjx
Joined Jan 2007
5,062 Posts
My hose work's great it's just the on/off switch I have problem's with. Thank goodness the ground was soft. The fuse lived through it all.
prodjx is online now Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:10 PM
Find More Posts by aeajr
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
25,310 Posts
Ouch. Yes, always wiggle the sticks before you launch to confirm the plane is on and the radio has contact with the plane. My friend made a similar launch with a brand new molded glider, with the battery disconnected.

He now knows how to repair fiberglass and molded wings. And he will not forget to turn the plane on again.