New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by FUNKY TREX
Joined Jun 2006
63 Posts
Discussion
Flying into a tree

First glider flight of the season.... and my shortest flight yet

RC Glider Crash into Tree (2 min 15 sec)
FUNKY TREX is offline Find More Posts by FUNKY TREX
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:24 AM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,175 Posts
I have twice bounced gliders off of trees but never got one hung up. I have, however, twice got my foam Yak stuck in trees including just last week.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:08 AM
Find More Posts by AWorrest
Lincoln, NE
Joined May 2005
968 Posts
It is very easy to do. I've done it several times myself. The problem is that when you are concentrating on the aircraft, it seems closer than objects in the background.

Allan
AWorrest is offline Find More Posts by AWorrest
Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:19 AM
Find More Posts by FUNKY TREX
Joined Jun 2006
63 Posts
I don't have a lot of glider/sailplane experience so each time is a bit of a lesson. The day in the video was a bit more windy than I have tried in the past and I wasn't prepared for it to grab the glider so quickly. I tossed it into the wind and gave a bit of elevator ( like I always have to keep it from driving straight into the ground). Between the extra wind and elevator control, the flight was over before I could do anything. It was my fault for taking off with a tree so close behind me. Just happy I got it down fairly quickly... even though it snapped the main fuse in half
FUNKY TREX is offline Find More Posts by FUNKY TREX
Old Jun 15, 2015, 05:23 PM
Find More Posts by Alienmenacet54
United States, NE, La Vista
Joined Oct 2014
384 Posts
You should have walked a little further out in that field. I flew a Gentle lady in a tree back in the late 70's. Another glider pilot climbed the tree and got it out, he had to climbed up about 150 ft tho. My problem was I thought I had the room to fly over it. One of the other guys told me the next time I get new glasses to check my depth perception. We all laughed.
Alienmenacet54 is offline Find More Posts by Alienmenacet54
Old Jun 15, 2015, 06:35 PM
Find More Posts by mikejr83
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Jul 2013
463 Posts
At the Summer Solstice event this past weekend two different pilots put their DLGs in the trees. We had to get a tree guy to come out and get them. I almost put mine in and even clipped the top of a tree.
mikejr83 is offline Find More Posts by mikejr83
Old Jun 16, 2015, 09:30 PM
Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
2,402 Posts
Good idea pulsing the motor to generate a rhythmic motion (Nikolai Tesla claimed he could bring down a house with such a simple motion )
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel