New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:36 AM
Find More Posts by gordinir8
Athens Greece
Joined Jan 2008
291 Posts
Discussion
Simplex 60

I decided to build a Simplex 60, i don't know why but there is something i like a lot on those simple lines of it. Can you suggest me some power-plant options for this model? probably electric but also glow would be nice, specially if i can find a good affordable vintage engine. I am interested in any thoughts/ideas you have.
gordinir8 is offline Find More Posts by gordinir8
Last edited by gordinir8; Feb 25, 2014 at 12:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:53 AM
Find More Posts by brokenenglish
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,919 Posts
If you really mean "glow" and you don't have any "collection" engines, then it should really be a 4 stroke.
I've only used old diesels in mine.
Electric is obviously an option, but it's a bit outside my knowledge...

Edit: I just noticed you mentioned an affordable vintage engine...
An Ohlsson 19 or 23 glow isn't expensive, would be a great performer and dead easy to operate...
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
Last edited by brokenenglish; Feb 25, 2014 at 11:59 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:42 PM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,886 Posts
It is a delightful model and would be ideal with electric, an inexpensive out runner of 150 to 250 watts, lowish KVa (800 - 1200) running from a lipo, 3S if you like but in my experience 2S would be fine for the type of performance which would be appropriate to this model. My similar sized Halfax Spartan (40 ounces) is grossly overpowered with a 300 watt motor running on 3S but propped down to about 250 watts, it spends most of the time flying on 1/3rd throttle but will hold an 80 degree climb indefinitely on full throttle.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:54 PM
Athens Greece
Joined Jan 2008
291 Posts
I also own a 1973 MAP3 Russian diesel engine 2.5cc, used but i have never run it myself, i am not sure if it is big or small enough for this model. 2.5cc i think is like .15 two stroke
Old Feb 25, 2014, 01:03 PM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,886 Posts
A 2.5 cc diesel should fly the 60 inch Simplex with ease. Like any other oil burner it'll also spray gunge all over it and require a fuel proof finish, but each to his own poison!!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:52 PM
Find More Posts by clipclop
QLD, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
1,556 Posts
If you go ahead with the Simplex build , I'ed recommend strengthening the wing spar - its 3/4 X 1/4 balsa on the plan , build a laminated spar of 1/4 Sq spruce + 1/4Sq balsa + another 1/4Sq spruce , otherwise they tend to fold the wing.
Stewart

PS even the 40"version with balsa only spar will fold the wing
clipclop is offline Find More Posts by clipclop
Old Feb 26, 2014, 02:36 PM
Athens Greece
Joined Jan 2008
291 Posts
Thanks for the tip ill follow it, that will make it super strong. I will also cover it with solartex or something similar but not with mono-coat so it have that vintage look.
Take a look here on a beautiful build. http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/...plex-60-a.html
I have both the 40 and 60in plan from outerzone but the 60' in doesn't has the ribs, anyone know why?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by brokenenglish
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,919 Posts
What do you mean by "super strong"?
On a Simplex, everything aft of the wing has to be kept very light.
IMO, if you use Solartex, you'll need lead in the nose...

This Simplex has a hard balsa spar, as per plan, and it's covered with paper. It weighs 1150 g with a 5cc diesel.
It has flown with several diesels, from 2.5 to 5cc.
I only fly it in good weather and there isn't even a tear in the paper...
I found the very hard balsa spar to be perfectly OK.
Obviously, if the spar balsa isn't very hard and if you have a heavy model and want to fly in any weather, then that changes the deal...
But I think you'll find that it's difficult to make a Simplex "super strong", without having to add nose weight.
My plane was slightly nose heavy as built, but it balances OK with a light engine.
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
Old Feb 26, 2014, 03:23 PM
Athens Greece
Joined Jan 2008
291 Posts
Very nice model you have there. Now you make me thinking again but i hope that if i cover it with solartex and put everything as close to the firewall incl. a big battery for electric version it will balance. I am not an expert that is why your opinion counts and really helps a lot.
What is the paper you have used on this beauty? Any particular one?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 03:30 PM
Find More Posts by buzzard bait
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
1,119 Posts
Years ago there was an article about flying one of these on a K&B Sportster 20 with a 12x6 prop! The Sportster showed a diesel-like ability to swing large props and he actually kept it throttled back. I eventually bought a Sportster 20 and after careful break-in had it running a 12 inch prop with no problem. Very quiet and it throttled well too. I still haven't put it on a plane.

Jim
buzzard bait is online now Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Feb 26, 2014, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by Moeregaard
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard bait View Post
Years ago there was an article about flying one of these on a K&B Sportster 20 with a 12x6 prop! The Sportster showed a diesel-like ability to swing large props and he actually kept it throttled back. I eventually bought a Sportster 20 and after careful break-in had it running a 12 inch prop with no problem. Very quiet and it throttled well too. I still haven't put it on a plane.

Jim
That would be Stu Richmond's adaption of the Simplex. He made some changes to the thrust line (added downthrust), in addition to some other structural changes to make it more suitable for RC. The plans were just added to Outerzone. If I were to build one, I would laminate the spar, using 1/4" X 1/8" spruce for the caps and web it with 1/4" X 1/2" balsa. It's a light structure and wouldn't require much power, but that short nose moment allows for a heavier engine, so I'd probably stick my OS .20 FS up there.
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old Feb 28, 2014, 02:50 AM
Find More Posts by Teals1
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
365 Posts
The Simplex is a lovely model to build and, although mine hasn't flown yet, I believe a delight to fly. Most definitely needs the spars strengthened in some way (I used spruce in mine) and keep the tail end light. For power I have an Ohlsson 23 spark ignition but like others have said, it would be equally nice with a four stroke or electric power. Install radio as far forward as possible. You are in for a treat with this model. Picture attached of my build of the 60 inch model. I covered it in solarfilm because I had plenty to spare. Allen
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Feb 28, 2014, 08:29 AM
Athens Greece
Joined Jan 2008
291 Posts
So you are saying that I have no chance if I cover it solartex? I mean in the end how heavy the tail would be compared with a paper covered tail? There is also the chance of using a combination of glow/electric motor. You can put the engine as dummy and add an electric motor behind it. That will also work as the extra weight you need to the nose section.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 10:26 AM
Find More Posts by Monza Red
France, Limousin, Lourdoueix-Saint-Pierre
Joined Mar 2008
1,228 Posts
If it's of any relevance Gordini, let me tell you about my first Junior 60 which is a similar model and was covered in Solartex. Powered by an Irvine 20 it required 1.5lbs of lead in the nose to balance the model. The problem was that I had made the tailplane out of balsa wood which was too hard. Once I'd built another tailplane out of lighter wood I was able to remove all of the lead, but I installed the receiver battery so that it nestled under the engine as well.
With electric power you may get away with a big battery mounted vertically from below. Check out the thread of someone who has electrified a Junior 60, as I said above, it's a similar model.
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:17 AM
Athens Greece
Joined Jan 2008
291 Posts
Thank you Monza Red, any info is useful to me. 1.5lb sound like a lot of weight but if you saved it only with a lighter tail and moving forward electronics that makes me thinking that i can go with solartex and put everything as frond as i can icl. the servos.