Old Jul 08, 2015, 06:45 PM
Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
4,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybad View Post
Thanks. My nose will also be 4 layers thick as you point out, but I was thinking of removing the inner layers of paper and keeping it on the outside. Glad I didn't start assembly yet!

Is it OK to use hot glue for the entire assembly? I also have Foam Tac but it probably won't work for the paper to paper bond.
If the paper is left on the outside it will be susceptible to moisture ( even from humidity in the air ) and delaminate .

I use hot glue and Dollar Tree foam board for 100% of my scratch builds .
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2015, 06:54 PM
Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Up! Up! And Away!
Joined Feb 2014
857 Posts
Consider using packing tape (clear/colored) for the outside for strength. Water, dew, etc. will remove the paper if it is not sealed.

Hot glue will work, but watch the temp and nozzle. Foam safe CA works. Some use 3M77 or similar but I've had some melting with it. I like the white Gorilla Glue but you have to wipe excess and preferably clamp or tape over bleed areas. Best to test whatever you want to use on scrap if it is new to you or the material being glued.
GottaZoom is online now Find More Posts by GottaZoom
Old Jul 08, 2015, 09:33 PM
Find More Posts by mybad
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Jan 2011
670 Posts
Thank you both for the help!
mybad is offline Find More Posts by mybad
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2015, 07:53 AM
Find More Posts by Beaves
Fly The Friendly Skies
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Apr 2013
3,004 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grn2806 View Post
I have looked at the EZ Fly for several years but never built one. I am going to be teaching a few coworkers how to fly so I decided to get going on one. I cut all the pieces out in about 2 hours.
GRN2806, I'm a few miles from you in Brentwood. Nice to see a local on here!

Curious about the type of foam in this pict. Too course for $tree. Looks like regulat styrofoam?

I normally use $tree, but just bought a bundle of pink fff. Thinking about building one of these from it.

Thanks
Beaves is offline Find More Posts by Beaves
Old Jul 17, 2015, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by mybad
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Jan 2011
670 Posts
Well, I managed to maiden it for about 60 seconds.

I was at Flite Fest 2015, slowly rounding the course and minding my own business, when suddenly out of nowhere a Stryker slammed into it! Very frustrating after all the time I put into this, my very first scratchbuild plane.

The plane was cut in half and virtually destroyed. The wing is the only thing that survived and surprisingly is untouched. All else that remains is so twisted from the collision that it will have to be rebuilt in its entirety.

I'm going to rebuild it but now have a construction question regarding the KFM wing.

This wing is considerably thinner than the material used In the original plan. Therefore, the actual step is much smaller than in the original wing.

Which wing should fly better? Should I double up the $tree foam for a better wing or leave it as it is? I would love to hear from those of you who have built the same plane from both materials.

BTW, the Stryker also broke into several pieces. At least I only lost $2 worth of foam!
mybad is offline Find More Posts by mybad
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2015, 01:52 PM
Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
4,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybad View Post
Well, I managed to maiden it for about 60 seconds.

I was at Flite Fest 2015, slowly rounding the course and minding my own business, when suddenly out of nowhere a Stryker slammed into it! Very frustrating after all the time I put into this, my very first scratchbuild plane.

The plane was cut in half and virtually destroyed. The wing is the only thing that survived and surprisingly is untouched. All else that remains is so twisted from the collision that it will have to be rebuilt in its entirety.

I'm going to rebuild it but now have a construction question regarding the KFM wing.

This wing is considerably thinner than the material used In the original plan. Therefore, the actual step is much smaller than in the original wing.

Which wing should fly better? Should I double up the $tree foam for a better wing or leave it as it is? I would love to hear from those of you who have built the same plane from both materials.

BTW, the Stryker also broke into several pieces. At least I only lost $2 worth of foam!
My very first EzFly was EPP , then I've been building them out of Dollar Tree foam board ever since . I personally don't like EPP .

I think just a single Dollar Tree foam board layer KFm is best - less drag on the leading edge .
balsa or carbon is online now Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Jul 17, 2015, 05:55 PM
Find More Posts by jbarchuk
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
2,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnikxxx View Post
Hey guys what's the best way to go about reducing the size to these plans? I wanna make one about 60-70% original size
Adobe Reader can do scaling up or down.
jbarchuk is offline Find More Posts by jbarchuk