HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2005, 02:22 AM
Montréal - Québec
Joined Jul 2005
16 Posts
Question
Do335 98'' scale 1/5 in electric- need advise

Hi

I will made a big Dornier DO 335 from Don Smith plan. It's a 98'' inch wingspan and scale about 1/5.

SO if i put a AXI 4130 at the back and maybe the same in the front.. or a AXI 5320. Does i will be able to take off ?
Also, if i put retract gear.. does this projet was too big for electric ?

Thanks and you are welcome if you have advised about other part, kind of motor ( That was not too much expensive but do the job ! )
Opcod is offline Find More Posts by Opcod
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2005, 04:46 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,705 Posts
How much do you think it will weigh? That's the key issue.

I'd guess 8-12lb?

It's certainly within range for electrics..I'd guess you don't even need to go as high in power as that. A lot depends on how light and strong you can build it, but a pair of AXI 41 series motors should be OK.
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jul 21, 2005, 05:53 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,922 Posts
Welcome to the Ezone, Opcod. Where do you live?

At the size you quote, even if built much lighter than the original drawing, it'll weigh around 16-18lb all-up; maybe a pound or two more. Which isn't a problem apart from expense, as the wing area of a Do335 that size will be around 13.5sq ft, and resultant wing loading at 18lb weight will be only 21.3oz/sq ft - pretty low for a model that size.

Two 4130/20s on 20-24 cells (6s - 7s lipo) each should fly it OK, but I'd be tempted to use the 5330 (for it's current handling capability) on a bigger prop and even more cells, say 2x9s 6200 lipo, running higher volts and lower current than with the 4130s for the same or a bit more power, and with resultant greater duration.

Lots of Axi prop-rpm data here: http://motor.hepf.at/axi/

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Jul 21, 2005, 12:38 PM
Montréal - Québec
Joined Jul 2005
16 Posts
Thanks,
I'm in Montréal- Québec. Of course i still begin in the electric world... This big plane will be around the 20 pounds..

About the Lipo cell, when you talk about the 5330 and Lipo, is it the : 5S3P "Dynamic Power" 6000 mAh high capacity TP60053 ? from Thunder power.
And does only one battery pack will be ok for 1 motor or do i will need two pack for 1 motor ? Ex: 5330 on 1or 2 and 4130 on 1. And I don't find the pack that you tell me. Do you have web site store ?

Many Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2005, 03:07 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Boskoop
Joined Mar 2001
1,150 Posts
Here's one I saw at a recent meeting near Paris, with a different colour scheme. I love the way the owner has set up the scene, obviously after the German surrender, the German pilot explaining the controls to his keen former enemy. His driver waits below patiently on his Kettenrad. Look at the interest with which the British pilot is studying the controls..........

Max
max z is offline Find More Posts by max z
Old Jul 22, 2005, 12:31 PM
Joined Aug 2000
3,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opcod
when you talk about the 5330 and Lipo, is it the : 5S3P "Dynamic Power" 6000 mAh high capacity TP60053 ? from Thunder power.
And does only one battery pack will be ok for 1 motor or do i will need two pack for 1 motor ? Ex: 5330 on 1or 2 and 4130 on 1. And I don't find the pack that you tell me. Do you have web site store ?

Many Thanks
I'm really thinking about the AXI 5330/18, and around an 8s pack of about 6000mAh, at one per motor, as you'll want to keep all power leads short, hence one pack near the front motor and its esc, and one close to the rear motor/esc . The above motor has about the same Kv as the 5320 but has a much higher max current limit. On a model that size you'll want to have 50A available and usable. As you're talking huge models, I'm assuming cost is no problem to you

I have no experience with monster models as such - my biggest motor is an AXI 4130/20 on 6s4p Schuebeler 6200 lipos and 16x10 APC-E at about 33A in a 6ft span scratch-built Tiger Moth. But I'm planning a big twin with the power setup I've suggested to you - but it'll be some time away as the cost something I do need to schedule carefully

Cheers

Gordon
Old Jul 22, 2005, 12:51 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,893 Posts
To sort of chime in, not only will electic fly your Do 335 well but would be perfect for it. IMO electric is much better than glo for any twin up to about 30-40 lbs.

I think everyone who enjoys WWII designs and electric has dreamed about a nice big DO 335 like you are talking about.

For a model that big I agree with Gordon, better to use the bigger AXI or similar.

Gordon what is the big twin you are contemplating?
4 Scale is offline Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Old Jul 22, 2005, 03:04 PM
Joined Aug 2000
3,922 Posts
Hi Greg

One I've done before as a 1/12th scale tiddlerfor a pair of .15s - the P-38. The new one will be twice the scale. Can't afford the Yellow kit so it'll be scratch-built from my own plans.

Actually, the Yellow kit has the wrong engine cowls (as did my mini-P-38J which I published as a plan feature in RCM oodles of years ago), but the right radiators for my proposed big electric version .... this: http://p38whitelightnin.com/gallery/ is my favourite Lightnin' but I've yet to see a drawing with X-sections of the sleek pre-J model cowl. I'll just have to do mine with reference to as many photos as possible.

Gordon
Old Jul 23, 2005, 12:24 AM
Montréal - Québec
Joined Jul 2005
16 Posts
Hehe.. About the cost, i will got the best deal of course and maybe split the power via 2 lipos. About the engine, Ebay has some... but if you go on hobbylobby, they got a big sale on Axi.. and it's about 3 $ lower than on Ebay... And it's new...
But for me i have to check in Canada..

For my servo i will try to got 1 JR DS8611 for the rudder and other high torque for the rest. I assume that will be ok. Of course, i don't know if a small difference in the torque and the speed could realy affect the flying performance...

Also, the picture of the accident of P-38 is quite interesting to see. Ouch..
Old Jul 24, 2005, 05:37 PM
Montréal - Québec
Joined Jul 2005
16 Posts
About the power.. I now that 2 pack of Thunderpower 6000 5S3P will be the best. But it's quite expensive also.. Does any combinaison of Tanic or Kokam can be use.. and be less than the above solution ?

Or maybe with 3 or 4 pack of TP 4200 2S2P that can be efficient ? 6S2P or 8S2P can be good not ?