HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:22 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
325 Posts
Discussion
Blade 450 3D

Thought a new thread for this heli would be nice under the MiniHeli forum.

After owning mine for the better part of the year, I finally got up the gumption to fly mine today for the maiden. Way bigger than anything I have ever flown before It looked and sounded absolutely huge compared to my micros I learned on.

I figured I would start out with my mcpx v2 then go to my 130x as warm up, before trying a few simple circuits with the 450 3D. The mcpx went well, then after making just about one circuit with the 130x and coming in on a hard banked turn, I had the tail gear blow out (strip) which sent it in a spin faster than I could correct, and ended up hammering it into the dirt. Fortunately, the only breakage was the canopy, but sure took the wind out of my sails for the 450 maiden.

With the 130x crash fresh on my mind, I decided to just bring this relatively huge heli up for an extended hover to get the feel for it and to break in the battery gently. Man, it sure feels different flying something that big. I have some new learning's with this for sure.

Here is my 450 3D next to my mcpx v2.
HeliFlyer14 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2014, 01:16 AM
United States, GA, Brooks
Joined Oct 2013
91 Posts
The Blade 450 3d is a nice flying bird for sure. Do keep in mind a little wind will shove it around but as long as your on your toes with corrections you should be fine. I've flown mine for about 5 months now and am on the brink of converting it over to fly barless. Flybarless 450 size flies like a Cadillac, my opinion. I learned on sim and mcpx also. Your on a great start.
stgilmer1 is online now Find More Posts by stgilmer1
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:55 PM
Joined May 2014
325 Posts
I had the transmitter set on the intermediate settings for this heli (something like 50% and 15), but it seemed too gentle, which can actually make it harder to fly because your corrections take so long to occur. Next time out I think I am going to give myself more control on the sticks and see how that goes.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 09:51 PM
Joined May 2014
325 Posts
Got out today for my second flight with the 450 3D. Still seems really huge and intimidating compared to my micros, but a little better this time.

I first just came up in just a simple hover to get the feel and confidence up. Landed, then came up again but put it in idle up, as the stock settings give me full collective, more throw on elev and aileron, and about 75% head speed. Gave the heli a little more height and did a couple trips down the field and back and some simple closer in flying still just building up the feeling for how it handles.

This is my only flybar heli, and my others are all micros, so can't really compare to how a FLB system would be, but you do need to definitely drive it forward when there is a little wind.

Maybe next time I'll do a little more cruising around, but want to be really careful and not crash as I think with a bigger heli like this it is going to be pretty expensive.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 11:45 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,567 Posts
I also have moved up from Micros. T-Rex 450 SE V2 now flying. also FBL V450D01 v2. Just take it easy even fly-bared 450's are easier than micros. i have kicked up last eight months or so flying Master c/p's [2]. yes bigger are more expensive to crash but once you have alot of stick time on c/p's you don't crash often. check bird and make sure all is good and don't exceed your skill.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:14 AM
Joined May 2014
325 Posts
Third flight today, but not a happy ending like before. As my last time, I first just brought the heli up for a hover then landed back down, sort of a confidence builder. Then spooled things back up and put it into idle up mode, hovered for a minute, then made a trip down the field to my left. So far so good. OK, make a turn, come back up the field a little past me to the right, out away some, OK, then went into a left turn to go back down the field, and something mighty bad went wrong, as the heli had mostly completed the turn but was banking too much and just started slipping down towards the ground. I more or less panicked and about 15 or 20 feet off the ground I hit throttle hold hoping to minimize damage. Down it came into some tall field grass kind of slow motion like. This wasn't a fast crash or anything, just kind of slowly came down sideways into the grass. Needless to say, I was a little disappointed in myself right about that moment

I went out and retrieved the heli and was met with some pretty dirty main blades and a slightly bent flybar, but otherwise it didn't look too bad, so I brought it back to the flight bench and cleaned up the dirt off the blades. The blades are the original wood blades with the plastic wrap, and I noticed that they had been nicked and the plastic wrap was torn a little. I looked it over just a little more then put it away for a better inspection at home.

Once home for a proper inspection, that is when I started finding everything that happened. Man, a lot gets broken really fast on these large helis to say the least. After looking everything over, I ended up finding my feathering shaft (spindle) was bent, the blades and flybar should probably be replaced, I think the main shaft is bent as I have some wobble when spinning the blades up a little. The main gear is missing teeth, and the tail boom as a slight incline to it now so should also be replaced. It sure seems like a long list of parts for what looked like not really being bad at first. I'm guessing $35 in parts and about 4 hours of work to replace and re-setup the whole mechanical assembly. Lucky HH has some pretty good how-to videos.

These big heli's are the opposite of micros for sure, as the canopy was just fine, yet half the rest of the heli broke in one way or another. It seems with my micros, I would have possibly cracked a canopy but the rest of the heli would have been just fine.

I'm not quite sure what happened, but in thinking some about the events, I am thinking that I had applied too much aileron for what speed and pitch I had, so there was not enough lift and the heli fell from the sky. I don't know if this is a flybar thing, or a big heli thing, as it has never happened with my micros. Either way, I now get to be an expert on setting things up....
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:28 AM
Joined May 2014
325 Posts
not quite as bad as this dude, but you get the idea how it just slipped sideways.

My Dailed Blade 500 3D Flight (1 min 48 sec)
Old Nov 27, 2014, 11:12 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,567 Posts
Sounds like you stalled your heli. Old RC basic 101 get high enough for three mistake bail out. Helis maybe less due to size and able to see them clearly. Sorry to hear about mishap. 450's are not micros that can take more abuse.
Bigger birds fly better but carry much higher loading. Even minor crash going to cost.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 05:36 PM
Joined May 2014
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
Sounds like you stalled your heli. Old RC basic 101 get high enough for three mistake bail out. Helis maybe less due to size and able to see them clearly. Sorry to hear about mishap. 450's are not micros that can take more abuse.
Bigger birds fly better but carry much higher loading. Even minor crash going to cost.
Hey Dankar, yeah I agree. I think I was just flying too timidly and made a mistake of too much aileron on a turn that didn't need it, so it just slipped sideways down to the ground.

I did some experiments on my sim, which btw I can fly the 450 3D on all day long with never a crash, where I made a turn without speed and used aileron hence causing the sideways slip. What was interesting, was once it starts, more throttle does not help, it just makes it go into the ground faster. The only correction I found was to give opposite aileron. Easy when relaxed on a sim My typical flying on the sim and with my micros has more speed, hence the tendency to pull aileron on the turn.

Lessons learned the hard way I guess.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:56 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,567 Posts
I have Great planes 6.0 sim Real flight. I only fly biggest FBL helis full on. Sim is good but its not flying. Real life many factors come into play. Sim all helis are trimed perfect. This is the plus side of small c/p's. If you make mistake and don't fly over hard surface most times no problem. tip over on 450 is going to damage something. Don't choke up and lose your mind flying a bigger heli. They do fly eaier than smaller c/p's. The more you fly the more you learn. Even experts had to learn.
I flew 100 sized c/p's a year before flying 250's all the time. I was in no hurry.
Year before 4ch f/p/ FBL f/p/Quads. Now have 450's flying,. Soon I will fly my Blade 500 D. My idea is not to push but enjoy the ride. C/P helis out fly planks for most part hands down. Nothing wrong with fix wing for sure but thrill factor on dialed in heli hard to match. They have come a long way.
Old Dec 01, 2014, 11:21 PM
Joined May 2014
325 Posts
I bought some new feathering shafts this weekend, so perhaps I can now repair my heli and get back in the air with it. Maybe this weekend....

Dankar, I spoke with the owner of my LHS and he voiced the same opinion as you, that you need to fly bigger heli's a little harder due to the weight needing to be held up in the air. He also said using throttle hold is not a good idea with larger birds. I always thought you were supposed to, to minimize damage, but I guess just as a last moment thing to keep the thrash down once it hits.

I like your note about even experts have to learn.
Old Dec 01, 2014, 11:43 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,567 Posts
Flying c/p is a aquired skill. It takes time and you must fly. Sim is a tool but you must fly. More you fly the better you get. 450's are a fine size heli. not to small not to big. I say micro c/p's first as cost to fix is way better. 450's are not the Boggieman. You have backround and just fly it. Easy at first and make wide moves. Yes pucker power is there but once up take it slow and keep power going all the time. They fly much heavier than micros.
Caution to point of choking up can cost you. Maintain your cool. Helis are machines with many moving parts. Check and maintain and fly reasonable give a big Wow Factor, second to none.. Happy flying and watch those blades.
Old Dec 07, 2014, 07:30 PM
Joined May 2014
325 Posts
Spent probably longer than it should have taken replacing the spindle, main shaft, and main gear today. I decided not to replace the tail boom and save the extra work, because it has only about 2 or 3 degrees of an upward bend to it.

This is the first time I have worked on this heli, or any heli this size and FB, with the extra complexities of the mechanical mixing and so on. With the first spool up, the heli wouldn't lift off the ground, even though I was giving it almost full throttle. Upon inspection, I found I had put the main blade grips on upside down Apparently when you do that, it reverses the pitch of the blades, so I was having full negative pitch with full throttle. Oh well, was easy enough to change.

With the blade grips swapped, I lifted the heli up in the air and was happy to see it fly and be nice and smooth. I was flying out in front of my house, so only hovered around some and tried a couple back and forth tails moves testing the servo. I did notice I had to give a couple of clicks of forward and left trim because the heli was wanting to fly backwards a little, so probably the swash is not completely level. I'll tackle that one another day. For now, I am just glad to have made the repairs and have it back in flyable condition.

A big thanks goes out to the Blade heli team, as their repair tutorials are really informative
Old Dec 07, 2014, 10:45 PM
WJH
United States, FL, Spring Hill
Joined Aug 2005
369 Posts
Just set up my B450 on my JR 8103. Decided to not use any exponential or dual rates, just used the curves from the intermediate settings.. Gotta say, love the heli more than ever now, really like sensitive controls and small movements on the stick. That's how I fly fixed wing, apparently I like my heli's the same way!
WJH is offline Find More Posts by WJH
Old Dec 10, 2014, 02:32 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
8,567 Posts
The 450 size is nice. Not hard to understand why guys go even bigger . That said the micros let you fly all the time. So take best of both worlds and have fun. I hace two 450's flying and could add another soon. Possible two more but no rush.