SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:58 PM
that's gonna hurt...
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined May 2005
1,179 Posts
Discussion
Servo Maintenance?

I fly Xplorers and standardized on Airtronics 761 and 809 servos in the wing. Due to crashed planes, replacing wonky servos and attempting to always have a replacement handy, I have a small pile of questionable servos. I have done periodic gear replacement and lubes before, but I'm wondering what to do with this pile. The 761s generally need gears, but the 809s typically have centering issues where they occasionally oscillate around center.

On my X2, I have 2 809s which have this oscillation problem - usually on start up, and stops after I wiggle the aileron stick a few times. One has been doing this on and off for a couple of weeks, the other started last weekend. I pulled both servos today, can't get them to oscillate on my servo tester, but I cleaned and lubed the gears, and went through the linkages to make sure everything was right. They seem smoother and quieter on my tester, will see if anything improves when I go flying Sunday.

So... bottom line - is there a better way to evaluate servo condition? Is it worth it to send them in for service? Just wondering as there's a fair amount of money sitting there in the parts drawer and I'd like to get them back in circulation if I can.

Hope you guys don't mind me posting here, I thought it would be more relevant here than trying to explain to the FRSky guys in the radio forum.

Thanks ..... Bruce
blewis01 is offline Find More Posts by blewis01
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2014, 01:12 PM
Eggcellent...
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2006
2,468 Posts
If you have receipts and can demonstrate they are within warranty, try sending them to Airtronics along with a problem description. I would bet they get replaced...haven't dealt with them in some time, but when I did, they were a stand-up company that backed their products.

Tom
tewatson is online now Find More Posts by tewatson
Old Oct 12, 2014, 05:33 PM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2006
1,627 Posts
I think Tom is right. The smartest thing to do is send it back to the vendor/mfg as soon as you have the problem. I too have a drawer full of servos that need service. I also have a ziplock bag full of servos that Futaba serviced and sent back in perfect condition.

If they are out of warranty you generally get a pretty reasonable deal on repair or replacement.
Avaldes is offline Find More Posts by Avaldes
Old Oct 12, 2014, 07:52 PM
that's gonna hurt...
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined May 2005
1,179 Posts
Thanks guys - definitely out of warrantee. I've had good service from Airtronics before, guess I'll sort through the pile and call them when I get a list of the wounded. I know they have a 60% of MSRP replacement deal if repairs are extensive. Researching a good servo tester right now, looking for something that does more than wiggle the servo back and forth.

Bruce
blewis01 is offline Find More Posts by blewis01
Old Oct 14, 2014, 08:50 PM
Brazil, MG, Belo Horizonte
Joined Oct 2006
503 Posts
I was on 761īs too, not very happy.
Now I fly Futaba S3150 all arround, zero problems after about 18 months.
Very tight, center is 100% and the speed is very fine, little lazy but itīs ok for me.
They worth the $$$.

André
Jebera is offline Find More Posts by Jebera