HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:39 AM
Singapore
Joined Apr 2006
361 Posts
Discussion
Turnigy 9150mg servo problems

Hi gals n guys,
Am facing a problem here with my 30cc dual elevator servo which is a Turnigy 9150mg. I'm using a JR xg8 tx.
The problem: both elevator surfaces are you equal when in high rates, but when I switch to low rates, the servos are not equal. One elevator is higher then the other. And i have tried everything possible to get both elevator surfaces to be equal at all rates, but I seem to be coming to a dead end. Hope you guys could help or may hv experienced something similar to this and would be able to help me. Thx

Rgds
wickkerr82 is offline Find More Posts by wickkerr82
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:25 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickkerr82 View Post
Hi gals n guys,
Am facing a problem here with my 30cc dual elevator servo which is a Turnigy 9150mg. I'm using a JR xg8 tx.
The problem: both elevator surfaces are you equal when in high rates, but when I switch to low rates, the servos are not equal. One elevator is higher then the other. And i have tried everything possible to get both elevator surfaces to be equal at all rates, but I seem to be coming to a dead end. Hope you guys could help or may have experienced something similar to this and would be able to help me. Thx

Rgds
Hello wickkerr82,

I would like to help but I am confused.
If you are using only one servo then the geometry of the horn installation has to be corrected.
The 30 cc is irrelevant.

If you are using two servos then the rotation angular linearity of the servos is different.

More info is required.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:36 PM
Singapore
Joined Apr 2006
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
Hello wickkerr82,

I would like to help but I am confused.
If you are using only one servo then the geometry of the horn installation has to be corrected.
The 30 cc is irrelevant.

If you are using two servos then the rotation angular linearity of the servos is different.

More info is required.

Zor
Hi zor,
I am using 2 elevator servos, both of which are Turnigy 9150mg stated above.
I hv not sub trims, I leave my servos as close as I can (which may 3 to 4 deg off 90deg to the elevator surfaces mechanically adjust my linkages to get my elevator surfaces to b neutral.
I then set my travel adjust to the max I possibly can go without my servos binding. After which, I level them on both sides if both surfaces do not line up properly at their epa's... By re adjusting the travel adjust.
Then I set my dual rates on equal movement of the elevator surfaces.
The problem is, after all this, when I switch to low rates, my elevator surfaces, do not line up equal or even close to the other elevator surface.
Switch it bk to high rates, both elevator surfaces line up to each other.
Do let me know if you need any other info zor. Thanks again buddy
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:44 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,561 Posts
are you using a Y harness, or seperate channels?

if you are using seperate channels, then you might not have equal amounts of duel rate, if you are running a Y harness, then you might hafta use seperate channels and adjust from there!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sig Mustang 450
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:56 AM
Singapore
Joined Apr 2006
361 Posts
I am using separate channels. Still trying to figure out and try different ways of setting up dual elevator...
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:54 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Balancing separate elevators

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickkerr82 View Post

I am using separate channels. Still trying to figure out and try different ways of setting up dual elevator...
Whiskykid and Wiskkerr82,

We now know that we have two elevators and each is connected to its own servo.

We can set the maximum travel to be identical on high rate and also on low rate if we have travel adjust on both high and low rates and if it is available on the transmitter set up.

This is no guarantee that the elevators deflection angle will be exactly the same at intermediate positions.

Additional explanations _ _ _
Suppose we adjust on high rate to have 40 degrees of elevator rotation and we adjust on low rate to have 25 degrees of rotation.when the transmitter stick is fully deflected.

It is possible to have some different amount of degrees of rotation at intermediate transmitter stick positions due to some differences in the servos.

For example on high rate when one elevator is half way at 20 degrees the oher could be at 17 deg or at 22 deg while still both at 40 deg on full Tx stick travel. That would not affect noticeably the model pitch control. The same could happen when selecting low rate.

The reason(s) for this behavior is not the subject of this discussion.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)