to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:26 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauf View Post
How would you place it on a wing? Would it be a big different in range if it's horizontally and not vertically?
Do NOT mount the antenna horizontally. It's a dipole antenna, and these antennas radiate in a 90 degree angle around the wires. That said, the directions in which the enpoints of the wires point is mostly dead. So if you mount it horizontally and make a turn, you will loose the signal for sure.

Even if you would hold the tx antenna horizontaly (which you would have to do anyways as you otherwise would face a 12dB drop in signal strength) this would happen.

There is a way to have a horizontal antenna. You would have to buy the so called turnstyle antenna from IBCrazy (Alex) and have your transmitter antenna horizontal. The turnstile is made such that the signal does not get lost in turns but it also covers more area in the horizontal plane. It's a pretty cool solution though for a wing or similar planes with deep wings where you have the space to mount the turnstile antenna.

HTH

Markus
markus123456 is offline Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CN I Dawg View Post
Do you mean keep the coax to dipole interface at 90 degrees is the optimal solution?
Yes. Do NOT run the coax cable in paralell to the antenna wires. This would deeply interfere with the near field of the antenna and lower it's performance significantly.

Markus
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:33 AM
Chinglish-funny
Joined Mar 2011
788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus123456 View Post
Do NOT mount the antenna horizontally. It's a dipole antenna, and these antennas radiate in a 90 degree angle around the wires. That said, the directions in which the enpoints of the wires point is mostly dead. So if you mount it horizontally and make a turn, you will loose the signal for sure.

Even if you would hold the tx antenna horizontaly (which you would have to do anyways as you otherwise would face a 12dB drop in signal strength) this would happen.

There is a way to have a horizontal antenna. You would have to buy the so called turnstyle antenna from IBCrazy (Alex) and have your transmitter antenna horizontal. The turnstile is made such that the signal does not get lost in turns but it also covers more area in the horizontal plane. It's a pretty cool solution though for a wing or similar planes with deep wings where you have the space to mount the turnstile antenna.

HTH

Markus
most player,just push the plane up to 5KM, So this is not be big problem,and make tx antenna 45 angle, we have test. with delta wing.

BTW your parcel already sent. thanks markus.

Sid
sid.huang is offline Find More Posts by sid.huang
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:48 AM
Joined Apr 2011
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid.huang View Post
>At PMRfly's Blog,he has share the install pics.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=352875

u can inside the antenna:

best.

easy install , also give u great performance.

dont make ground wire or center wire close to the coax cable.

Sid
Hi sid, love the rangelink. Though the furthest I have flown is about 1.1km, RSSI is still 100%. By the way how do you tell which one is the ground wire or centre wire. I realised during range check that when you have one of the antenna touching the ground, range will be greatly shortened to about 5m ( In micro mode)
pyrojets is offline Find More Posts by pyrojets
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:51 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
816 Posts
Visual inspection and/or check with a multimeter looking for continuity between the wires and the sma plug...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrojets View Post
Hi sid, love the rangelink. Though the furthest I have flown is about 1.1km, RSSI is still 100%. By the way how do you tell which one is the ground wire or centre wire. I realised during range check that when you have one of the antenna touching the ground, range will be greatly shortened to about 5m ( In micro mode)
HF_ATL is offline Find More Posts by HF_ATL
Old Jan 09, 2012, 08:59 AM
Chinglish-funny
Joined Mar 2011
788 Posts

Sid
sid.huang is offline Find More Posts by sid.huang
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:15 AM
NDw
Ireland, Limerick, Kilmallock
Joined Aug 2010
2,123 Posts
Hi Sid if I was making an extra antenna what lenght do you recommend for the elements?
NDw is offline Find More Posts by NDw
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:19 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,906 Posts
So best place is on the tail vertically with ground wire facing down? I'm only going to be pushing the plane out a few k's for most flights till I get comfortable and better acquainted with all my gear.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jan 09, 2012, 06:46 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
So best place is on the tail vertically with ground wire facing down? I'm only going to be pushing the plane out a few k's for most flights till I get comfortable and better acquainted with all my gear.
That would be a good place yes as nothing would be in the way if you fly in front of you left to right or vice versa. It's also good if you fly away from yourself. It might be a problem upon return. That's why I personally prefer a position out on the wings. I then know that turning to the side where the antenna is closer to me is safe and so is flying out and back. You probably don't want to make the experience that you loose the signal at the point you return.

Ok, this is a concern if you fly on the edge of your range but still.

Markus
Old Jan 09, 2012, 11:01 PM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,906 Posts
Is there a problem if I run my rc antenna coax past my Vtx mount?

So rx in fuselage, Vtx on small shelf near motor, then coax running past Vtx and motor to tail with vertical mounted antenna elements?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 02:00 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,906 Posts
Quote:

So rx in fuselage, Vtx on small shelf near motor, then coax running past Vtx and motor to tail with vertical mounted antenna elements?
On a skywalker I'm mounting it.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 04:05 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:

Coax is shielded, so while this is not an optimal scenario, it should be ok. Try to keep it away as much as you can. Also make sure the cable does not scratch onto the Vtx so as the insulation would come off.

Markus
Old Jan 10, 2012, 04:50 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,906 Posts
I was thinking of running it around the Vtx so it should be about 2 inches away at its closest point so hopefully it should be ok.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:04 AM
Joined Apr 2011
263 Posts
Hey sid, love the rangelink, managed to do 3.1km LOS today in populated areas and it was between 99%-100% throughout.
pyrojets is offline Find More Posts by pyrojets