Joined Jun 2010
395 Posts
12mm
Spyde is offline Find More Posts by Spyde
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:57 AM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Has any one had the flip to death on old GPS with the 2 black cut out ?
hexa is offline Find More Posts by hexa
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:42 AM
Romania, TM, Timisoara
Joined Mar 2008
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexa View Post
Has any one had the flip to death on old GPS with the 2 black cut out ?
I have about 50 flights in total (of which about 30 with the Zen). AUW just under 7 KG so a bit on the heavy side. And so far except for changing props to XOAR 15x5 (tried Graupner and APC and the XOAR are the best in my opinion) and reinforcing the arms i had no issues with the S800 (old GPS). I am currently using the 3rd Zenmuse. Seems like i am not very lucky when it comes to Gimbals.
Iceman575 is offline Find More Posts by Iceman575
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:03 PM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
I never tried the Xoar 15x5 but it was on my list of things to do. I guess we are talking about the wood ones.
dennyrowland@mac is offline Find More Posts by dennyrowland@mac
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:30 PM
Romania, TM, Timisoara
Joined Mar 2008
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyrowland@mac View Post
I never tried the Xoar 15x5 but it was on my list of things to do. I guess we are talking about the wood ones.
Yes the wood ones. I have to be honest and say that they where not perfectly balanced. One was perfect. 2 where close. 2 where not so good. and 1 was not usable. One thing you have to look out for on the Xoar props is that you need to balance the hub not just the blades. I used a magnetic prop balancer and epoxy to balance the hub. Scotch tape on the blades.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:22 PM
Lake Zurich, IL
Joined Jan 2008
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@SCC View Post
Time lapse from DJI.
http://vimeo.com/53196308

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=904
sidneyw is offline Find More Posts by sidneyw
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:11 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman575 View Post
I have about 50 flights in total (of which about 30 with the Zen). AUW just under 7 KG so a bit on the heavy side. And so far except for changing props to XOAR 15x5 (tried Graupner and APC and the XOAR are the best in my opinion) and reinforcing the arms i had no issues with the S800 (old GPS). I am currently using the 3rd Zenmuse. Seems like i am not very lucky when it comes to Gimbals.
Cool. Just curious. What happen to other 2 z15?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:06 PM
Romania, TM, Timisoara
Joined Mar 2008
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexa View Post
Cool. Just curious. What happen to other 2 z15?
The first had the HDMI unit defective from the start. It would randomly stop transmitting (red led) and start again.
One the second the tilt axis died. It had a spot where it hung and it would not spin past that point in calibration or on corrections. Basicly the tilt died. This happened after about 10-15 flights. I have no idea why...
Both times i got a new Zenmuse. Still had to pay for shipping which is not cheap but at least the third works... for now.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:25 PM
AEM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2009
1,012 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyrowland@mac View Post
If you're interested in trying out the Xoar 15x6 CF multicopter props (with s800 hole pattern), feel free to sign up. We might be able to get a discounted group buy.

https://docs.google.com/a/mitty.com/...uUFl3VlE#gid=0
AEMontoya is offline Find More Posts by AEMontoya
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Custom Futaba 12z Monitor Mount
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:09 PM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@SCC View Post
Time lapse from DJI.
http://vimeo.com/53196308
It is great that DJI found the bug and hopefully now have fixed it.

But.. How long did DJI know about it and not say a word? As the crash reports started pouring in and people began asking serious questions in the forums, DJI never once denied or confirmed the existence of a problem. How are users supposed to make an educated choice whether to ground their copter or not, if they are kept in the dark about it.
jab is online now Find More Posts by jab
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:23 PM
Romania, TM, Timisoara
Joined Mar 2008
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
It is great that DJI found the bug and hopefully now have fixed it.

But.. How long did DJI know about it and not say a word? As the crash reports started pouring in and people began asking serious questions in the forums, DJI never once denied or confirmed the existence of a problem. How are users supposed to make an educated choice whether to ground their copter or not, if they are kept in the dark about it.
To be fair it was a software bug. Working as a programmer i can tell you that sometimes it is almost impossible to know why something isn't working as it should. It's not like all of the WKM's had problems. It is very very hard to find a problem when it only happens to a minority of systems involved. To figure out the exact parameters in which it happens and to replicate the error is very difficult.
That being said they probably weren't even sure it was a software glitch. So that makes finding a problem even worse.

On the other hand you have a system that is in part asambled by the user. You can never exclude user error 100%. Specially after a crash. You investigate the wreckage but it is still very hard to determine what caused a crash (i have years of experience in this matter with RC Heli's).

So while it was a very bad time for any WKM and specially all the S800 users at least DJI admitted their fault and fixed it. I use other Flight controllers and let me tell you that so far none have been this open about a mistake.

I have to admit that i was also part of the "angry mob" that blamed DJI for not telling the truth but now that i know what the problem was i can understand why they didn't say anything. It is most likely because they also did not know until they found the bug...
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:54 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,839 Posts
Quote:
The first had the HDMI unit defective from the start. It would randomly stop transmitting (red led) and start again.
One the second the tilt axis died. It had a spot where it hung and it would not spin past that point in calibration or on corrections. Basicly the tilt died. This happened after about 10-15 flights. I have no idea why...
Both times i got a new Zenmuse. Still had to pay for shipping which is not cheap but at least the third works... for now.
Cool. I'll keep an eye on mine
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:45 PM
Joined Aug 2005
238 Posts
Quote:
To be fair it was a software bug. Working as a programmer i can tell you that sometimes it is almost impossible to know why something isn't working as it should. It's not like all of the WKM's had problems. It is very very hard to find a problem when it only happens to a minority of systems involved. To figure out the exact parameters in which it happens and to replicate the error is very difficult.
That being said they probably weren't even sure it was a software glitch. So that makes finding a problem even worse.

On the other hand you have a system that is in part asambled by the user. You can never exclude user error 100%. Specially after a crash. You investigate the wreckage but it is still very hard to determine what caused a crash (i have years of experience in this matter with RC Heli's).

So while it was a very bad time for any WKM and specially all the S800 users at least DJI admitted their fault and fixed it. I use other Flight controllers and let me tell you that so far none have been this open about a mistake.

I have to admit that i was also part of the "angry mob" that blamed DJI for not telling the truth but now that i know what the problem was i can understand why they didn't say anything. It is most likely because they also did not know until they found the bug...
To be fair I did post that I had done a similar test with the model held down and could induce the FOD with constant mode changes in and out of GPS . That was long before they carried out their own testing. It did however point to the direction of where the problem was. And yes DJI do read this thread, I know that from the replies I get.
dennyrowland@mac is offline Find More Posts by dennyrowland@mac
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:00 AM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,083 Posts
Quote:
This is the point where I disagree. To fix the bug, they first had to find and confirm it. In the 72h test video they mention that at least one of the test copters would flip within 12h before the fix. And at the moment one of those copters flipped, they knew there was a problem. Why did we not get to know this information? I can pretty much guarantee that we are talking about more then "a couple of days" from when they confirmed the bug, figured out what was causing it, made a fix, tested and then lastly released with a grand PR statement.
jab is online now Find More Posts by jab
Last edited by jab; Nov 12, 2012 at 03:09 AM.