HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:09 AM
Aj Creations
India, KA, Bangalore
Joined Dec 2011
120 Posts
Help!
Aerofoil templates?

I built a 60'' electric sailplane and it was quite successful (I crash landed it on its third flight, though)
Now, I decided to step into powered flight, I have a long-time interest in 'flying wings' so I'm planning on building one. I did some research and found that MH60 airfoil is specifically improvised for tail-less aircrafts, where/how do I get the aerofoil templates? I found a site that provides the aerofoil coordinates in XML format, but I don't know how to get the profile/shape of the foil using those coordinates and since my design-in-mind is swept-wing design, I'll need different sizes of the wing rib templates. I'm not too sure about how to accurately scale the aerofoil templates to different sizes, any special softwares to do it?
Anjan Babu is offline Find More Posts by Anjan Babu
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:35 AM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,089 Posts
I'd recommend Profili. It's a free program that has a large airfoil database. You can modify an airfoil and export to CAD programs to complete your design. It will also generate a set of airfoils for a tapered wing.
whitecrest is offline Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:39 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,439 Posts
This show a picture of it, you could always right-click on it and do a Save Image As......

Then print it out at whatever scale you want.

http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/mh60koo.htm
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:50 AM
Aj Creations
India, KA, Bangalore
Joined Dec 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
This show a picture of it, you could always right-click on it and do a Save Image As......

Then print it out at whatever scale you want.

http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/mh60koo.htm
That's the site I was referring to, for the coordinates. My question is how do I use the coordinates to create the profile and scale the thickness and length of the profile accurately for different sizes needed for tapered wings?
I tried scaling the profile in Photoshop, but its not accurate at all, ends up with wrong thickness and length.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:52 AM
Aj Creations
India, KA, Bangalore
Joined Dec 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecrest View Post
I'd recommend Profili. It's a free program that has a large airfoil database. You can modify an airfoil and export to CAD programs to complete your design. It will also generate a set of airfoils for a tapered wing.
Thanks, man.
I don't know to work on any CAD programs, but I'm pretty good with Adobe Photoshop, does it help?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 12:23 PM
Frequent Flyer
Orleans, MA
Joined Feb 2007
2,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjan Babu View Post
Thanks, man.
I don't know to work on any CAD programs, but I'm pretty good with Adobe Photoshop, does it help?
I think it could. Here's an MH60 sequence from Profili2 that I transferred using a screen-capture program. You should be able to transfer it to Photoshop for your design.
whitecrest is offline Find More Posts by whitecrest
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:09 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjan Babu View Post
Thanks, man.
Photo Shop is a rastor graphics program. To use the actual coordinates to accurately draw and scale the airfoils requires a vector graphics program such as one of the many CAD programs or something like CorelDraw or Adobe Illustrator.

With Photo Shop you are limited to importing a drawing created from the coordinates in a vector graphics program like the one drawn in Profili that whitecrest provided you. You then have to use rather crude scaling methods to resize as best you can.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:08 PM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,081 Posts
Get Profili for tapered flying wings. It'll to every different size rib in the taper, keeping the spar locations and sizes constant. It prints the full size templates out or exports them into a cad program.
They also have a nice CAD program called DevCad.
TomM is online now Find More Posts by TomM
RCG Plus Member