SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:12 AM
United States, AZ, Tempe
Joined Nov 2011
7 Posts
Discussion
PA Bandit Construction Problems

Just built the Bandit and had its first maiden flight. Flew great! A little conservative on the sticks now until I get used to it..
Had some disappointing construction issues however... Something I didn't expect for the high quality name PA has.

1 - Servo screws supplied with the PA servos had screw heads that were too small. Had to use small washer to keep servo from pulling up over the screws

2 - When I tried to install the motor the angled cross braces at the top and bottom of the firewall would not allow the motor to touch the firewall. I removed some of the balsa to allow the motor to reach the firewall.

3- The screws supplied with the PA Thrust motor would not fit thru the firewall far enough to attach the motor even after it was flush with the firewall. Luckily my local ACE hardware has an employee who is an RC car guy, and he had ACE order in some hobby screws they had in stock that were long enough

4- When I installed the motor it would drag/stall at low throttle. I loosened the screws and it ran fine. I confirmed that longer screws were not touching any part of the motor. I CA'd a small washer to the face of the motor between the firewall to set it back a slight amount from the firewall and it runs fine?

5- I ordered the Bandit Bling Package with the CF longer servo arms and CF spinner. The holes in the servo arm extensions don't line up with hole in the servo arm. Had to drill and be careful to install. It's PA's servo, PA's servo arm, PA's CF extensions. You would think they would match...

6- The screws supplied with the CF spinner stripped and would not attach the spinner. Went to my local hobby shop and got some better quality screws and it works fine.

I would never have expected these annoying issues from such an expensive plane. Anyone else have any problems...
sid47 is offline Find More Posts by sid47
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2012, 10:19 AM
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,706 Posts
Sid,

Sorry you had problems. My experience with PA is that they are rude and there was some aileron warpage on the PA Mini Katana that I bought a couple years ago. A friend of mine just got a Bandit and I will ask him if he had issues similar to what you experienced.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:59 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,061 Posts
Regarding #3

Tell me what you did to your thrust motor to prepare it for installation
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jan 04, 2012, 01:34 PM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,539 Posts
1 - Did you install the plastic spacers the servos bring? if so the screws that it brings work perfectly, been doing it for 5 years now and never had a problem with this...

2 - It is a known issue that on the first batch of the bandits, the motorbox triangles need to be trimmed a little bit, but its nothign that takes more than a few minutes.

3- The screws that the Thrust motors bring fit perfectly, if they didnt there must be something else spacing out the motor.

4- It sounds exactly like the screws you are using are too long and touching the motor, you have to consider that PA included the exact lenght for the screws so this shouldnt be a problem. I recommend that you check why your motor doesnt fit with the stock screws. Did you remove the circlip and brass washer that the motor brings?

5- They match perfectly. And even if you got a set that didnt match, doesnt take more than 15 seconds to drill the servo arm.

6- The spinner screws dont need to be crazy tight, one thing that helps a lot is to use a small drop of blue threadlocker...

Anyway if you really think about it carefully, in the end, this is just small issues that you had, after you enjoy the plane you will notice that it was worth it, and you will love it! I can tell you for me the Bandit is my favorite airplane right now!

PA Bandit Xtreme Aerobatics flown by Daniel Dominguez (7 min 1 sec)
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2012, 02:16 PM
GPT
Sydney,Australia
Joined Dec 2004
1,598 Posts
Mine had issue 2 plus left wing had a 3-4 mm gap between wing LE and fuse, spinner only had one of the cutouts done,slots for the vortex generators were done poorly in some areas and some of the screws were junk.
GPT is offline Find More Posts by GPT
Old Jan 04, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, TN, Oneida
Joined Oct 2011
20 Posts
Did you remove the c-clip and washer off the motor shaft BEFORE bolting it to the motor box? If you didnt, thats whats wrong with your motor.
slopoke13 is offline Find More Posts by slopoke13
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:17 PM
United States, AZ, Tempe
Joined Nov 2011
7 Posts
Motor mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
Regarding #3

Tell me what you did to your thrust motor to prepare it for installation
CA small washer to each mounting hole on motor to displace it a small amount away from firewall
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:41 PM
Panama
Joined Jul 2005
3,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid47 View Post
CA small washer to each mounting hole on motor to displace it a small amount away from firewall
I think thats exactly where most of your problems are coming from, you have to take off the c-clip and brass washer that the motor brings, and re-install without those washers that you glued and use the original bolts.
aerofundan is offline Find More Posts by aerofundan
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 05, 2012, 04:05 PM
United States, AZ, Tempe
Joined Nov 2011
7 Posts
I took off the ring. Manual said nothing about the brass washer.......
Old Jan 06, 2012, 04:13 AM
carbon fibre is your friend
Australia, QLD, Pioneer
Joined May 2010
75 Posts
i would hardly call $235 expensive for a plane this size . i have paid over a hundred more for planes that are a lot worse - where the undercarriage has ripped out of the fuselage on a normal landing. that will never happen with a pa airframe . i quite often replace hard ware in kits because i dont like the quality or i like to do it a different way. all six of the pa kits i have owned i havn't had a problem with the hardware supplied although i do replace the pull pull attachment at the rudder servo on my addictions. i think it adds about 5 bucks to the cost.
jester56 is online now Find More Posts by jester56
Last edited by jester56; Jan 06, 2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2012, 05:19 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid47 View Post
Just built the Bandit and had its first maiden flight. Flew great! A little conservative on the sticks now until I get used to it..
Had some disappointing construction issues however... Something I didn't expect for the high quality name PA has.

2 - When I tried to install the motor the angled cross braces at the top and bottom of the firewall would not allow the motor to touch the firewall. I removed some of the balsa to allow the motor to reach the firewall.

Yep knew about this one before ordering so expected it.

5- I ordered the Bandit Bling Package with the CF longer servo arms and CF spinner. The holes in the servo arm extensions don't line up with hole in the servo arm. Had to drill and be careful to install. It's PA's servo, PA's servo arm, PA's CF extensions. You would think they would match...

The holes didn't line up with the holes on my Futaba servo arms either. The main issue is it's not a case of drilling a new hole. You actually have to drag out the hole i.e. make it an oval shape which is pretty average since it just increases the chance of the arms pulling through.
6- The screws supplied with the CF spinner stripped and would not attach the spinner. Went to my local hobby shop and got some better quality screws and it works fine.

Yeah lasted about 2 to 3 mild tightenings before the screw stripped out on mine aswell. But the more annoying part is where the holes line up the aft edge of the CF cone sits slightly proud of the base plate and so when you touch the tip of the cone you can wobble it side to side and you can't tighten it enough to prevent that without risking stripping the threads on the base plate since it's made of what seems to be pretty soft alloy. So when running the motor the tip of the spinner is not centered so it looks pretty average. So i'll have to ovalise those holes as well. The omission of a knurled finished area for the prop to sit against also bugs me. As a whole the spinner is crap, unfortunately it's really the only one of that size (beting that's not a coincidence) and weight on the market.

I would never have expected these annoying issues from such an expensive plane. Anyone else have any problems...
Oh and my hatch blew off on the first flight soon as I went past half throttle and I suspect it's because the retaining magnets are recessed slightly rather than being up flush.

Do I like the way it flys, you betcha! I'd also still buy it knowing what I do, but there are some design/quality issue's that I would not expect in this price range, or rather more than I would expect.
luke352 is online now Find More Posts by luke352
Old Mar 03, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Jul 2010
1 Posts
Just finished my build and got 6 flights thursday !
I can see the spinner mounting screws are Delicate.
The motor mounting is as the instructions .
The carbon fiber servo arms need to be drilled or filed as per instructions.
I am having trouble with the rudder horn hitting on the fuse and not giving me full deflection one way . Maybe Its enough?
This is my secound A.R.F. build and It was fun . Flys great to but you can really make it fly bad if the CG. is wrong 2 mm out and you can feel it.
The fit finish of this plane is good but not perfect but it flyes as near perfect as is possible
I like it!!!
bhuckster is offline Find More Posts by bhuckster