SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:04 AM
up up and away
United States, LA, Ferriday
Joined Mar 2008
364 Posts
Congrats on the maiden Falcon5. Now that was a perfect landing. Can't get any better than that.
ac_rite90 is offline Find More Posts by ac_rite90
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:49 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
i saw the canopy plugs sunday ...they still needed some caps and some runoff added to them ..then i think they well be ready for kieth.his work situation is not the easiest way to live.
Yeah, we need to figure out a solution where our boy has a life. Maybe win the lottery?
At least we know when he gets it done it will be right.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:54 AM
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
318 Posts
Excellent!!!!
CONGRATS ON THE MAIDEN!!!!!!!

Toby
GermanTigger is offline Find More Posts by GermanTigger
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:44 AM
The blade numbers go up to 11
Sydney, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
4,385 Posts
Awesome stuff, Andy!!! Really cool to see projects like this that show there really are some aeromodellers left in the world. The way it leapt into the air makes me think it could easily handle another 5lb of lipos.

I'm assuming it was without full inlet ducting? What dia were the exhausts? I reckon full inlet ducting will get a noticeable increase in performance, possibly at the expense of takeoff performance.

When we first looked at fans for it the expected AUW was about 30-35lb, now I believe it's around 40lb. I took some examples of EDF models I've made over the years which have had what I'd call real jet performance and plotted their power and mass and the result is quite interesting. The data points lay nicely on a 2nd order polynomial curve showing that if the AUW was actually 30lb then it would have been close if you jumped up to 11S with the current fans. At 40lb it looks like we need about 16kW which is rather frightening, 8kW per 100mm fan is pretty high, but doable, not with this rotor, though. A shame the inlets won't feed a 110mm fan. Time to look at plan B......

Stu.
stumax is offline Find More Posts by stumax
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:55 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
stu, what motors is andy using? will they handle 12s in bursts? that will add a good 1kw per fan i rekon.
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 13, 2012, 07:56 AM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
when was the last time you made a 34" long canopy plug thats almost 9" wide lol. its got to be perfect or youll see all the flaws in that HUGE canopy haha. its almost done, keep your thong on gramps LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Yeah, we need to figure out a solution where our boy has a life. Maybe win the lottery?
At least we know when he gets it done it will be right.

J
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:06 AM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post

Thanks John,

Thanks for all your construction tips, there is a little J Morgan in this jet.

Thanks Reco,

Far from it, but thanks...hope the terets didn't act up too much today
Luckily I was home alone when I saw the video so I let the expletives fly..I almost got light headed lol
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:12 AM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,399 Posts
Falcon,

This was/is a great project. You took on a scratch bulk project, without plans. You had to guess how well it will work. I'm glad you made the final changes to increase performance. Now, enjoy the results. Great maiden! Given the experimental nature of this project you should probably have painted it in NASA paint scheme...
ysolomon is online now Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:16 AM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,433 Posts
I am curious to your estimated speed. I know the illusion of the larger the plane the slower it appears to be traveling. I'll bet its faster than you think. Any plans on getting some radar on it to check the speed? I would estimate from the video that its speed is around 60mph.. By the way have I told you..................................

Did you ever know that you're my hero,
and everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle,
'cause you are the wind beneath my wings
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:38 AM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
stu, what motors is andy using? will they handle 12s in bursts? that will add a good 1kw per fan i rekon.
Mornin wingman,

Motors are the HET 700-83-1080.

T-38 is going back in the shop for a landing gear upgrade, and a few other items I want to take care of and get set up real nice, so jet will be grounded for a few weeks while I git er done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumax View Post
I'm assuming it was without full inlet ducting? What dia were the exhausts? .
Hi Stu,

Exhaust dia was opened up to 80mm the day before maiden. Ducting is a basic "V" wall from the center of the two fans out to the inlets.

Got this rig in the mail. GPS data logger. ATIS had one at SEFF and I thought I would get one. I will have it ride along on the next T-38 flight. Tells you top speed, average speed, altitude, and distance flown.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:03 AM
SidGates
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Feb 2006
149 Posts
Delete
sidgates50 is offline Find More Posts by sidgates50
Last edited by sidgates50; Jun 13, 2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: delete - not needed
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:05 AM
Lee Liddle
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
8,265 Posts
Uhhh, this IS the build thread. It's not an 85 page thread about the maiden flight
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:06 AM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,238 Posts
Andy I have to run to work,,,,
But that was just great man!! So glad to see EDF being pushed to the next level.... you did an amazing job and I'm looking forward to seeing you dailing it in even more...

Once you have your power system dialed and maybe try some inlets... it's going to be a really great setup and really show what EDF can do

great building and flying!!!
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:16 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair nut View Post
when was the last time you made a 34" long canopy plug thats almost 9" wide lol. its got to be perfect or youll see all the flaws in that HUGE canopy haha. its almost done, keep your thong on gramps LOL
I can put two of mine together and beat that Nut!
Don't let your panties bunch up, just giving back some of that Nut Love that you dish out to me.
I know it will look awesome when done, glad you are sending it to Keith. I wouldn't even attempt a pull like that.

Andy,
Again, just an awesome accomplishment. That thing is really, really, really sick!
(That's Nut jargon)

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:21 AM
Yank Pilot
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,698 Posts
Andy, I know yours is a very elite club but if someone could make copies of your jet, maybe us lesser mortals could experience that same euphoric feeling. I know it will probably never happen but it was worth a shot.

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12