Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:09 PM
Soaring Peacock Aerial Media
United States, CA, South Lake Tahoe
Joined Dec 2012
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
I wasn't asking about your Mini Vapor landing gear to be a wise-ass
There's no shortage of the various Vapors flying at indoor sessions with the landing gear sheared off. Those guys are NOT ready for an Extra.
I'm patient and a quick learner but I don't have someone to guide me. I don't want to wreck a plane that is irreplaceable. I may buy it and just hang on to it. We will have to see how this month's commissions work out. Probably shouldn't have started this hobby in the winter. All my enthusiasm is wasted on flying my Vapor too hard in too small of a place and then repairing it. Just hoped there was a next logical step with a 4channel.
Alright, so I have broken my landing gear, as well as my motor mount. Landing gear was fixed. Motor mount broke because the front of the wing came loose doing loops. Most flying is done in my 12x15 low ceiling bedroom and I'm relatively proficient in in there. I will wait for a 4 channel until I can fly outside.
Jesse Buck is offline Find More Posts by Jesse Buck
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:13 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
Say the guys that think they can't learn 3D. I used to be one of them. It isn't a snap. It takes time and practice.
I guess...it was pretty natural to me, but I'm part of the video game generation
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:52 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Buck View Post
I'm patient and a quick learner but I don't have someone to guide me. I don't want to wreck a plane that is irreplaceable. I may buy it and just hang on to it. We will have to see how this month's commissions work out. Probably shouldn't have started this hobby in the winter. All my enthusiasm is wasted on flying my Vapor too hard in too small of a place and then repairing it. Just hoped there was a next logical step with a 4channel.
Alright, so I have broken my landing gear, as well as my motor mount. Landing gear was fixed. Motor mount broke because the front of the wing came loose doing loops. Most flying is done in my 12x15 low ceiling bedroom and I'm relatively proficient in in there. I will wait for a 4 channel until I can fly outside.
If you dont buy it, please PM me the name and phone number to this shop It is quite an amazing plane but I honestly could not recommend it to a 4 channel beginner. Heck even flying the champ is a bit different than the vapor. Its just a bit harder when its moving faster. The t28 will be a great choice for that first 4 channel. I would stay away from the corsair at all costs. The p51 is nice but again, that t28 is going to be the best choice for a micro. There are other options as well that will be a bit bigger making orientation easier without requiring a ton of air space/landing space.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:19 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d astronaut View Post
If you dont buy it, please PM me the name and phone number to this shop.
The Hobby Stop West had a BNF on the shelf the week before Christmas:

http://www.hobbystopwest.com/
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:49 PM
Soaring Peacock Aerial Media
United States, CA, South Lake Tahoe
Joined Dec 2012
309 Posts
Quote:
If you dont buy it, please PM me the name and phone number to this shop It is quite an amazing plane but I honestly could not recommend it to a 4 channel beginner.

If I don't buy it, I will. Thanks for everyone's advice. I really think 3d is the flying ill be into when I have the space/skills to do it. For now I will keep flying the Mini and progress as best I can.
Jesse Buck is offline Find More Posts by Jesse Buck
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:29 PM
No place like cloud base......
United States, VT
Joined Aug 2012
440 Posts
I HAVE TO GET ONE OF THESE!

I had my doubts about it because of the brushed motor, but at a recent fun fly, a guy had one and it was really cool.

What's my best be for getting one? Patrol the classifieds? Do any more online stores have it in stock?
SuperBarlow is offline Find More Posts by SuperBarlow
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:28 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBarlow View Post
I HAVE TO GET ONE OF THESE!

I had my doubts about it because of the brushed motor, but at a recent fun fly, a guy had one and it was really cool.

What's my best be for getting one? Patrol the classifieds? Do any more online stores have it in stock?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-flite-Extr...item3cb4ffeb32

get it fast.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2013, 06:33 PM
Joined Mar 2010
64 Posts
Just got the airframe

Never had one, so hope I got the right stuff.
...SPMAR6410L Rx
...2x SPMAS2000LBB (original servos discontinued)
...EFL9052 4-site motor

Damn replacement servos have barely 2" of wire. Wire harness? Extensions?

Are there easy motor/prop upgrades, or this stock setup will be fine. ex...um mustang, champ, sukhoi gear? The new servos are a few grams heavier ):
Nothing to copy off either. The best I have are pics from google for equipment placement
Gator187 is offline Find More Posts by Gator187
Old Apr 04, 2013, 08:13 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator187 View Post
Never had one, so hope I got the right stuff.
...SPMAR6410L Rx
...2x SPMAS2000LBB (original servos discontinued)
...EFL9052 4-site motor

Damn replacement servos have barely 2" of wire. Wire harness? Extensions?

Are there easy motor/prop upgrades, or this stock setup will be fine. ex...um mustang, champ, sukhoi gear? The new servos are a few grams heavier ):
Nothing to copy off either. The best I have are pics from google for equipment placement
Dead on for the rx, the servos are short because I think those are the ones for the mcpx.. Could be off on that though. They will work just fine but you may have to make up some leads or just buy these http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...dID=SPMAS2000L

Rcbabbel (a user on the forums) sells an upgraded motor for the micro series of planes that has quite a bit more thrust than the stock motors. That being said, I find the stock 4site/p51 motor/gearbox combo to be more than sufficient for this light weight airframe. It will hover with pull out power after 3 minutes of hard flying, which to me, is darn impressive.

You are going to love it

edit// Make sure you are very VERY light on the adhesives. Use the smallest little dabs as any extra weight will show up in flight performance. I used hot glue for he receiver/servos, just put a TINY dab on opposing corners and they have been rock solid.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2013, 09:17 PM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
687 Posts
Since a new UMX Extra 300 is harder to find than a "hen's tooth", you guys might want to take a look at my review of Dynamic Foamy's DF-200. It's a great flier!

The DF-200 is a kit and you do have to supply your own electronics, but it's about as close as we're going to get unless E-Flite brings the Extra back.

How close? The picture below shows the unfinished airframe sitting in an Extra 300 box!

Don
Digital Don is offline Find More Posts by Digital Don
Last edited by Digital Don; Apr 05, 2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old Apr 05, 2013, 06:42 AM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Don View Post
Since a new UMX Extra 300 is harder to find than a "hen's tooth", you guys might want to take a look at my review of Dynamic Foamy's DF-200. It's a great flier!

The DF-200 is a kit and you do have to supply your own electronics, but it's about as close as we're going to get unless E-Flite brings the Extra back.

How close? The picture below shows the unfinished airframe sitting in an Extra 300 box!

Don
Nice! I built the Yak and had to modify the box to fit. It's slightly larger. Great flier though and will fly even slower than the 300. Really good 3D airframe!
jrjr is online now Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Apr 05, 2013, 07:15 PM
United States, IL, Manteno
Joined Dec 2006
687 Posts
I built the Yak and the D342 as well and they're both good fliers. Until the DF-200 came along, the Yak was my favorite plane (after the UMX Extra 300, that is). Now, the 200 has taken over that spot!

I wound up having to build boxes for the Yak and the 342 which was kind of a pain. Since the 200 basically just drops into the Extra 300's box, that's just another reason for me to love it!

Don
Digital Don is offline Find More Posts by Digital Don
Last edited by Digital Don; Apr 05, 2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 02:54 PM
Joined Mar 2010
64 Posts
Thanks 3d astronaut

Thanks for the reply 3d astronaut...tupid servo extensions delayed assembly for a week, but they came in today!!! Good tips & advice; as I will have to assemble using google images as my guide
Old Apr 10, 2013, 03:04 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator187 View Post
Thanks for the reply 3d astronaut...tupid servo extensions delayed assembly for a week, but they came in today!!! Good tips & advice; as I will have to assemble using google images as my guide
If you need detailed pics, I will gladly take them. My stock one is a bit beat up but it still flies like new
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2013, 06:46 PM
Joined Mar 2010
64 Posts
Quote:
If you need detailed pics, I will gladly take them. My stock one is a bit beat up but it still flies like new
I guess the main thing I picked up on in these threads was to assemble the pushrods before installation due to the heatshrink process. I really dont want to remove the pushrod guides to achieve this. I'll ponder this after work this evening. I think the pics I conjured up should suffice, but thanks again!