HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:22 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Aug 2008
130 Posts
Discussion
Turbinator-E Build Thread

To document my own, personal, progress and to provide help for those that purchase this kit, I wanted to start my first-ever build thread. This is also the first kit I've ever built. My only previous build was a Hangar-9, Alpha 40, ARF.

I bought my short kit from Laser Design Services (Laser Design Services Turbinator-E). Nothing but a positive experience from them; quick responses, tracking w/order, and prompt delivery. Between that and the price, I'd be back to them in a heartbeat.

My plan is to kit this out with the Shulman Aviation Fury Fan and matching ESC (Fury Fan). The reason for using this fan is that it's recommended for their own Turbinator-E ARF, and has a respectable thrust ratio.

For retracts I'm going to try the E-flite 10-15 retracts (E-Flite Retracts). I recognize that the recommended is Robart Air, but since the inception of this model it seems that electric retracts are coming into their own right and with electric retracts I take out any further problems with air lines.

As for finishing this model up, being recently retired from the Air Force, I'll use Air Force colors and markings.

I ordered the plans from Model Airplane News/Air Age Media (Turbinator-E Plans). Based on reading people's experience with getting the plans (3+ weeks), I called them directly over the phone and asked them how long it would take to get them out to me. I received them within 10 days.

As for the original build article, an electronic version can be found here: Turbinator-E Build. The article itself I'd categorize as 'okay'. It definitely helps, but IMHO still lacks in information/guidance and since the printing of the first article I think we've come a long way in knowing what people need. All too often, as I enter r/c, I see plans that lack a lot of information. As a newbie, I'm convinced that one of the reasons people aren't building from kits as much is that many haven't come into the 21st century, as far as providing information on their kits. Am of the opinion, that as we entered the information age, people want the info - not techniques presented in a format <'90s.

As for what canopy I'll be using, well, I have to admit I don't have an immediate answer. I contacted Ziroli plans initially, to be told that I'd have to order it directly from Nick Ziroli. They did provide me with an e-mail address and his personal phone number. Unfortunately, two e-mails and two telephone messages to Nick have gone without a response. When I contacted Ziroli Plans to see if they could help facilitate the purchase of a canopy, they said that Nick was going to be in NY the very next day, would ask him, and then get back to me. I haven't heard anything. When I received the plans, I saw the mailing address and the amount - so I sent off a check, figuring I had nothing to loose. Still no response or canopy. I know Nick has a tremendous reputation in the r/c community, but my money doesn't know the difference. I am still hopeful he'll come through. Shulman Aviation doesn't have a spare canopy either, so I'm kinda in a bind but, hope that it sorts itself out prior to the finish.
AKPilot is offline Find More Posts by AKPilot
Last edited by AKPilot; Jul 18, 2010 at 08:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:39 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Aug 2008
130 Posts
So here's the initial parts from Laser Design Services (LDS). Nice!

There are a number of pieces that aren't included (1/8" squares, 3/32"x1/4" blocks, sheeting stock, etc.), but they're easily obtained from your local hobby store (LHS). And for the initial price of the kit, I'm not bothered in the least to pick these up - as I can purchase them at my leisure.

One thing I am baffled at, initially, and if anyone has an answer I'd welcome it, is that the nose gear former (F-2) comes in 3. One for fixed gear (which I get) and then two others. Not sure why two others.
Last edited by AKPilot; Jul 18, 2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:41 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Aug 2008
130 Posts
Here's the initial box layup.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 07:43 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Aug 2008
130 Posts
And here's the fuse box with the, initial, sides.
Last edited by AKPilot; Jul 18, 2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 08:38 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Aug 2008
130 Posts
Here's the total fuse, side. Nose to tail.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 08:40 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Aug 2008
130 Posts
And setup for fit, but not glued down. Will start gluing this down today.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 02:09 PM
My project: FAIREY DELTA 1
Uden Volkel, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
4,976 Posts
Hey AK!
Nice thread!
I have mine sitting in a box. I am reconsidering to scale her up someday. I'm looking forward to your build pics!

What colorsheme did you have in mind?

best regards!
Erik
Erik v. Schaik is offline Find More Posts by Erik v. Schaik
Old Jul 18, 2010, 02:32 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,302 Posts
Is it possible that F2 is supposed to be laminated together due to them cutting it in a thinner material than called out for in the plans?
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Jul 18, 2010, 05:26 PM
Global Hobby Store
Brisbane
Joined Jan 2007
1,116 Posts
I was considering the lasercut kit, but just dont have enough time at the moment with a T-33 and 3 helis to build/test before the next wave of new products hits...
So here is my artf version with the wings trial fitted..
rorrock is offline Find More Posts by rorrock
Old Jul 18, 2010, 08:11 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Aug 2008
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
Is it possible that F2 is supposed to be laminated together due to them cutting it in a thinner material than called out for in the plans?
Could be. I'll have to take a second look.

rorrock - it looks nice.

As for the colors of mine, I'm aiming for the same overall layout as seen in others but, in Air Force blue; like a T-6A II Texan. And of course, AF lettering.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 09:16 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2002
921 Posts
I have canopys if you can't get one from Nick

Larry E.
SouthEast Model Products
LJE4357 is offline Find More Posts by LJE4357
Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:04 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Aug 2008
130 Posts
Larry sounds like a plan, if Nick isn't able to come through.

I see my check for him just cleared my bank, so let me give it a couple weeks and see if it comes through. If not, I'm headed your way.

Tks
Old Jul 21, 2010, 07:39 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Aug 2008
130 Posts
Well today the canopy arrived from Nick Ziroli. That and the aileron guides - I believe.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 08:00 PM
Joined Apr 2007
144 Posts
I too will be following this thread.

I too bought the lazer kit from Lazer Design... I too plan on using the E-flite electric retracts. (Just gotta let the wallet recover a bit)....

I chose carbon fiber rod for the wing rod. Considering it's size, I am considering making the wings solid connection to fuse. But We'll see.

Sadly, I won't be building it for a while, I have other birds on the list first. But I'll be watching.
vmsguy is offline Find More Posts by vmsguy
Old Jul 21, 2010, 08:06 PM
Global Hobby Store
Brisbane
Joined Jan 2007
1,116 Posts
Although mine is ARTF and I got the robarts with it, i've decided to try and fit the EPF DSR-30's to it..
I really like the look of the struts, though it may take come mods to get them to fit...
rorrock is offline Find More Posts by rorrock