Old Sep 25, 2015, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
5,222 Posts
Discussion
The OFFICIAL E-Flite UMX P-47 BL BNF MOD Thread

Since they are now shipping I thought that I would start a UMX P-47 mod thread...

In the product announcement thread many stated that they would like to mod the P-47...This will be the place to discuss those mods and to show the "How To" for all to glean...

To get this thread started before they arrive, what mods do you have in mind???...I have a few ideas of my own but we want to hear your ideas!!!

Let's get the party started!!!......
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2015, 01:03 PM
Joined Mar 2007
5,222 Posts
This space reserved for links to pages within the thread, links to blogs, links to products, etc...
Old Sep 30, 2015, 01:16 AM
Find More Posts by Barrett_G
Joined Mar 2011
693 Posts
I wanna covert the top half of my fuse into a battery hatch. Anyone know where I can order a pack of small magnets like the ones used in the UMX Pitts and UMX Gee Bee?
Barrett_G is offline Find More Posts by Barrett_G
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by KurTecH
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined May 2011
59 Posts
UMX P-47 with SAFE!

I got mine today and already ripped it apart and installed a UMX Habu SAFE RX.

Going to test fly it in a bit.
KurTecH is offline Find More Posts by KurTecH
Old Oct 02, 2015, 05:23 PM
Joined Mar 2007
5,222 Posts
I got the hatch mod done!!!...

I cut the fuselage for the hatch on the panel line...As you can see even with a 3S pack there's plenty of room!!!...

While I had the top half removed I moved the ESC rearward about 1/2"...To do this with out some serious control rod mods I just worked the steel ends loose and slid the entire assembly back, then re-glued the steel ends back to the CF rods...

In order for the couplings for the steel ends/CF rods to clear the servos I tilted the brick up slightly in the front...

As you can see I removed a LOT of foam from inside of the fuselage...This not only lightened up the plane a tad but also opened up a cavity to install a flap servo for a future mod...I also removed foam underneath the brick to that it can get ample cooling air both on top and bottom...

For a battery tray I cut out a piece of 2mm foam and cut it to size...This not only allows for the battery to have a firm platform but also provides a slot under the tray to route the motor wires... For extra cooling I opened up the areas between the dummy cylinders...

And all of this was done to PREPARE for the hatch mod!!!

Kevin
Old Oct 02, 2015, 05:33 PM
Joined Mar 2007
5,222 Posts
Cutting out the hatch---You can see the panel line that I chose to cut...I used a #11 blade and SLLLLOOOOOOOWWWLLLLYYYY cut along the panel line...Be careful!!!...A proper cut will leave an invisible hatch!!!

After I cut out the hatch I installed the magnets as shown in the pics..I used some strong magnets in the front and some stock Eflite magnets in the rear from a salvaged Beast...Quick setting Epoxy was used...

The reason for using magnets fore and aft was due to the dummy engine...If you wanted to use only two forward magnets in conjunction with a tab/tongue in the rear would mean having to cut the dummy motor in half...By leaving the dummy motor intact the hatch simply slides straight down...In this configuration there's NO WAY that the hatch can be blown off...The geometry just won't allow it!!!!...If you cut the dummy engine in half then air could possibly get under the hatch, causing the hatch to depart company with the fuselage...
Old Oct 02, 2015, 05:38 PM
Joined Mar 2007
5,222 Posts
Hatch removed with the 3S battery in place...The battery will fit either lengthwise or sideways!!!

The last pic in this post shows my finger pointed to where the absolute aft cutout for the stock battery...As you can see the mods have allowed the 3S battery to be moved rearward for proper CG adjustment...

Kevin
Old Oct 02, 2015, 05:41 PM
Joined Mar 2007
5,222 Posts
The last pics shows the hatch off and then in place...When in place can YOU FIND the hatch cutout line???......

Kevin
Old Oct 02, 2015, 05:47 PM
Joined Mar 2007
5,222 Posts
One last thing---If your plane came with the tailwheel slot skewed to one side or the other---While the fuselage top is off, now is the time to fix the tailwheel!!!...This is what it should look like after the fix...

To fix this problem I just worked the steel rod loose from the CF rod by gently rotating the assembly where the steel rod is glued/heat shrinked to the CF rod...Work the steel rod into proper position so that the tailwheel tiller arm is 90 degrees to the fuselage...When satisfied---Glue the assembly back together with CA...

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Oct 02, 2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2015, 06:07 PM
Find More Posts by Murdock80
Born to lose-live to win!!
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Nov 2014
1,691 Posts
Looks good buddy!
Murdock80 is offline Find More Posts by Murdock80
Old Oct 02, 2015, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by cbear
jacksonville florida
Joined Feb 2005
743 Posts
very nicely done, was there not enough space to squeeze or spread the u shape wire to adjust the tail-wheel ? hard to believe they didn't come this way form horizon
cbear is offline Find More Posts by cbear
Last edited by cbear; Oct 02, 2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2015, 08:29 PM
Find More Posts by Kilo60
Plane Crazy!!!
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Joined Sep 2006
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
The last pics shows the hatch off and then in place...When in place can YOU FIND the hatch cutout line???......

Kevin

Very nice!

However, a slight nose heavy landing and I'd assume the front of the A/C is liable to crack in half.

Looks like you lose some structural strength in the front half of the plane with this mod. Maybe some carbon fiber rods inside the fuse would help...?
Kilo60 is offline Find More Posts by Kilo60
Old Oct 02, 2015, 09:28 PM
Joined Mar 2007
5,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbear View Post
very nicely done, was there not enough space to squeeze or spread the u shape wire to adjust the tail-wheel ? hard to believe they didn't come this way form horizon
The U shaped wire is INSIDE of the fuselage---The only way to adjust the wire is to open up the fuselage...

Kevin
Old Oct 02, 2015, 09:35 PM
Joined Mar 2007
5,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo60 View Post
Very nice!

However, a slight nose heavy landing and I'd assume the front of the A/C is liable to crack in half.

Looks like you lose some structural strength in the front half of the plane with this mod. Maybe some carbon fiber rods inside the fuse would help...?
CF Rods wouldn't hurt---But I can't see where this is any more weak than the hatch on the P3 and others like it...The upper fuselage half isn't secured rigidly to the lower half but just taped in place...Not much rigidity to begin with...But with the hatch in place, as I have engineered, if the plane took a hard hit on the nose the hatch is essentially locked into place...The dummy motor acts like a vertical slide...Which means that an angled hit on the nose shouldn't pop the hatch off but bind it against the fuselage at the rear of the hatch..

Anyway---CF wouldn't hurt a thing and I have plenty of it...

Kevin
Old Oct 02, 2015, 10:59 PM
Find More Posts by 619SixFour
Alpine Aero Sqdn.
United States, CA, Jamul
Joined Mar 2012
756 Posts
Nice Kevin!
619SixFour is offline Find More Posts by 619SixFour