This thread is privately moderated by aeajr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 04, 2015, 08:16 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,551 Posts
I was tempted to get Dynaflight HD unit. Reading specks on it the bungie is same size as Hosemonster standard 2 m bungie. 2m C is thicker then both of them. I believe 2m C 50 foot section will be fine for me. Might even get a Zip start lader.
My friend flys alot and been using Hosemonster 2m standard 75 foot section. One 50 foot and another 25 foot. Guess he cut a 50 footer in half for small Gliders etc. He flys 2-3 meter birds all day long with it. Bigger birds just stretch it longer.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2015, 07:22 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,551 Posts
I sent Areofaom an email today and got reply. He made up mny bungie and will ship tomorrow. See how post office works in town. Takes three day to get fromn Tucson to Phoenix.
Old Nov 08, 2015, 09:09 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,551 Posts
My Hosemonster bungie arrived Friday. Awesome looking and chute is really nice. Glad i did not go cheaper route. Bungie is our motor to get bird airbourne.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:46 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,551 Posts
Hosemonster 2 m C 50 foot section

I need to make this bungie useable. I guess need 250 feet of Mason coed attached to 50 feet of 2 m c bungie. I have Hosemonster chute also. roll up reel from Ace hardware and long stake with plastic fitting at top. Bought some rings extra also. Maybe get snap ring at one end also. My flying friend attaches his to basketball frame. Not going to break free from that ! i have fish scale to measure pounds of pull. I am now flying 2 meter birds.
Last edited by dankar04; Nov 24, 2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:59 AM
Find More Posts by enrico74ec
LSFIII working on LVL IV
USA, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Dec 2003
653 Posts
No matter what size bungee you use, get in the habit if possible to use a dog stake anchor. It has a spiral section that you screw into the ground. Tent stakes an larger stakes are still straight stakes. The dog stake works far better unless very firm ground. Just my 2 cents after more than 5 years mainly flying off bungees!
enrico74ec is online now Find More Posts by enrico74ec
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:06 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,551 Posts
I have Hosemoster bungie for 2 m birds. Need to make hook to hold cord on place for wind up. I decedied to build a few smaller gliders. 1.2-1.5 m for local park flying. So also going to need a zip-start for smaller birds. my 2m C bungie will be way overkill for that.
Possible Hosemonster smallest zip start or Skybench small hi-start. The Skybench uses longer bungie cord and looks good. Plus use black bugie 25 feet. Hosemonster is 15 feet.
I had feeling one size was not going to fit all. The School yard we fly at is not always available on weekends. Most yes but never know for sure. Park is always available all week long not just weekends. Divot there is quiet one day and busy another. Having a hi-start set up with folks roaming around will be problem.
Is it me or is there always something else to buy ??
Old Dec 06, 2015, 02:12 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,551 Posts
I contacted Skybench and there hi-start is $39.95. Divot they want flat fee postage of $22.95. Hosemonster zip start is $45.00 and good deal. He uses 15 feet of 3 meter bungie. Think that should work. Tower had short feild hi-start with 25 feet of black rubber $29.95. today got email and its free shipping. So I went for it. This will be good for 1.2m 1.5 m birds.
Old Dec 09, 2015, 09:59 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,551 Posts
My small Hi-start should arrive today. My Chrysalis kit 1.5 meter arrived yesterday. I made a kit up for Tercel 1.2 meter bird. So now just need to get them built. Both Gliders have position to hand launch or use hi-start. See how this works at local Park.
Old Dec 09, 2015, 12:02 PM
Find More Posts by tkallev
LSF303-AMA Fellow
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,573 Posts
Beware the spiral "dog stake" in sandy ground ... I prefer stake plus safety stakes a la F3J in most circumstances ...

YMMV
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Dec 09, 2015, 10:11 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,551 Posts
Ground here in Tucson is like cement. Ace sell a 10" long stake with plastic fitting on the top. My plan is using two one for bungie other as saftey back up. Both connected together.
My Tower Up-Start arrived and looks good. Add says 25 feet of black rubber bungie. Its 33 feet5r. 10 plus meters. I think this will work fine for 1.5 meter birds and smaller. I did not want the amber surgical rubber Up-start bungie. Now just need to build a couple birds to use it !!
Old Dec 14, 2015, 01:46 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,551 Posts
I made up Tower Up-Start and looks good to go. Twine looks thin but thats waht came with it. Good practice for my 2 meter C Hosemonster.
That reel has insert for chute and ready to add chute/ Mason cord/ Bungie with rings. Learned a few knots from instructionson up-start. .
Now the fun part learned to use them and keep birds flying. Weather here turned cold and drizzles.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:51 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,551 Posts
Today finished my two meter C Hi-start. The Ace hardware Mason line was a little pain. bunched up easy. Careful but still like to crow nest but is done. Next time buy much better grade twine. The Tower twine was fine but used whole thing. Ace stuff is 532 feet and had to be cut. App 250 feet. with 50 feet of bungie.
So now have big bungie and Up- start. Next need to make up one for P/Z ASK-21 Micro Glider. Its like long rubber band and thread. I'll add a small colored neon streamer for it.
Old Mar 09, 2016, 01:27 AM
Find More Posts by lincoln
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,572 Posts
Braided seine twine is good, but in general probably too big. For high starts I use braided fishing line, the old style. Maybe called "squidding line". If you can't find that, you may find that some of the more ordinary braided kite line that's sold is good. I use something like 50 lb test with my 3 meter size high start rubber. The high tech fishing lines would be ok for a high start, but they are so strong and thin that I think they are more dangerous when they have the power of all that rubber to pull them across your fingers in a hurry.

I once had one of those 10 inch stakes with a "heavy duty" high start. I seem to recall the stake pulling out and flying through the air toward me. I use old lug wrenches as stakes. The kind with a bend and a screwdriver type tip on one end. You can twist to work them in and to pull them out. The ground has to be very soft for them to pull out.

I don't really like monofilament. Tangles too easily.

BTW, try not to let anyone else roll up and put away your high start. Unless you have lots of time to untangle it. Sometimes leaves everything in a mess, despite good intentions. For similar reasons, I try not to let anyone use my brakeless winch. Easy if you know what you're doing, but easy to mess up too.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
Old Mar 10, 2016, 09:40 PM
Find More Posts by glidermang
Joined Jan 2008
5,056 Posts
You might get a spring scale (probably available at Harbor Freight) and verify the tension on your extended hi-start. I did, long ago, and was surprised to see that we were sending airplanes up with around 10# of tension. Felt like lots more, but that's what the scale we used indicated.

Now that I've written that, I should get myself down the Harbor Freight and get a spring scale, and see what my hi-start pulls.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Mar 11, 2016, 07:25 AM
Find More Posts by George Franklin
Joined Feb 2013
520 Posts
A fish weighing scale is the easy way to measure line tension. They can be had at WalMart for under 10 bucks.
George Franklin is offline Find More Posts by George Franklin