SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:37 PM
Joined Aug 2014
28 Posts
Help!
Flyzone Calypso keeps banking left

Hi all. I've got a new Flyzone Calypso, and I dig it. This is my first aileron plane, and the first few flight have been very successful! There's just.... one problem.

For reasons I can't determine, she keeps wanting to bank left. Doesn't matter which way the wind is coming, either. I've even given her a bit of right bank, flown with the wind coming from her left (which should, if anything, left her windward wing and induce more right bank) and still seen her level out and bank left, with my hands off the controls.

I've checked the rudder trim, the aileron trim, the left/right balance, and the fin alignment. Everything looks fine. If anything, the fin looks like it'd make her go right.

What's left to check? What might be wrong?
malapardis is offline Find More Posts by malapardis
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:18 AM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
652 Posts
Wind direction will have no effect on a bank.
Does this happen during the glide or when the power is on ?
patmcc is offline Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:25 AM
Joined Aug 2014
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmcc View Post
Does this happen during the glide or when the power is on ?
This happens gliding.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:39 AM
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
652 Posts
In that case the only things left to check that I can think of are : is the fuselage dead true ? could there be a warp in one or both wings ? when viewed head on are the wings & tailplane parallel ?

If all of these check out OK & no one has any other suggestions I'd just trim the rudder or/and ailerons for straight flight on the glide & live with that.
Having said that, when flying my Easy Glider I sometimes take it a long way upwind, deliberately click in some right rudder plus a touch of elevator trim & let it drift in big circles then watch for any signs of lift as it comes back towards me.
patmcc is offline Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:38 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,161 Posts
Sounds like a warped wing ... does airspeed have any effect?
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:01 PM
Joined Aug 2014
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post
Does airspeed have any effect?
Good question. I'll have to fly her again and check. It's a slow bank, and to remove other variables from this problem I'd like to do it with engine off and no spoilerons or flaperons in play. That's going to make it a little hard to try various airspeeds.

Without any sort of tools (I don't even have a yardstick), how do you recommend checking for wing warp? The idea's pretty new to me, although I've seen it mentioned in another thread or two. I'll look around.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 12:08 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,829 Posts
Hi, malapardis.

There are any number of reasons why a plane will need some aileron trim. Minor twists and misalignment, one wing heavier than another, small variances in production, etc. Very few planes will trim out with all surfaces trimmed to exact center. I would say just add trim until it flies level and don't worry if the ailerons are deflected a bit.

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 15, 2014, 10:44 PM
Joined Aug 2014
28 Posts
Attached are two pics of the wings. They are obviously not symmetrical to each other. But it also doesn't appear to me that one of them is twisted. It just looks to me like the left one sags a little.

Do you guys perceive a twist? I'm not 100% sure I'd spot it even if it was there. Is this kind of variation between wings normal?

Any pics that might help a bit better to diagnose this?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 04:56 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
When flying your Calypso, can you bank it to the right with right aileron control stick input? Or, do you always have to fly left-and circles?

I presume it will bank right with some amount of right aileron control input, meaning some degree of correction will overcome whatever it is that's causing the plane to bank left. Then, add right aileron trim until the plane doesn't bank left anymore. If you run out of trim on the transmitter, screw in the clevis to shorten the pushrod on the left aileron and unscrew the clevis on the right aileron to lengthen the pushrod (giving the plane even more right aileron).

I don't know what it is that is causing your Calypso to bank left, but with a foamie airplane it could be any number of things as these kinds of planes are not particularly precise (but there's little to assemble and they're durable, practical, easy to fly and hopefully a good value).

In any regard, you should be able to get your Calypso trimmed to fly straight-and-level hands-off just with aileron trim.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member